Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback
Crash - would you mind testing 480P hulu in firefox (using flash) and reporting back?
I can confirm hulu works fine on my system with xbmc and firefox ... I used it alot to watch tv shows ..
Dredge up this post with questions about my 330 build I'm working on.

First of all.. would the addition of doing live tv via either vdr or myth with a usb tuner be too taxing for this processor?

I'm looking at a couple different setups from newegg right now.

First: $130 with free shipping
- Barebones with foxconn rs233 and the intel atom board

Second (basically same set up as first post): $130 + $7 shipping
- APEX MI-100BK
- Intel BLKD945GCLF2 Atom 330

I planned on using svideo for the moment, or maybe get some vga to component cables. That's the best the current tv has, need an hdtv!

If i went with the apex, I wouldn't have to get a video card right now to be able to do svideo out, since it is included on the mobo, where it isn't on the foxconn. Since I need to get one eventually, it's not too much of an issue to get one right now.

However, I am hesitant with how small the space is on the inside of the apex. Was anyone able to find a pci vid card that fit in that case without issue? (Slightly out of the loop on vid card interfaces, when it says PCI, that does NOT mean it can take the PCI Express cards, correct?)

On the flipside, I think the main downside to the foxconn case is the PSU is only 150w. I'm not sure if that would be enough for mobo/cpu, vid card, hdd, optical, and 2-3 usb devices.

I think I'm leaning towards the apex because of the psu on the foxconn and hoping someone can point me towards a video card that will fit in there, and maybe a decent fan as recommended by CrashX in the OP. Nothing besides media apps would be using the GPU, so whatever is min needed for 1080p is fine with me.

Thanks for any advice.
The APEX case does not have enough room for a decent nvidia card like a 8400GS, not enough room next to the PCI slot. I have one.

This is a better case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811108094 . I have one of these too.
PNY doesn't have a big heatsink like the sparkle one has .. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...08400%20GS ... Hence it **** should ***** fit in the APEX case.

If you can wait, I would wait for Nvidia ion atom 330 motherboard which should arrive in fall ... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-...,7588.html
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I saw that card. Looks like it would maybe do. I'm not too hard set on having the tiny mini-itx case, am kinda thinking about maybe stepping up to a micro-atx case for a little extra breathing room. Does newegg include in the specs for micro-atx cases if they have support for mini-itx mobos? I haven't seen any cases which list support for both in the micro-atx listings, but I haven't looked through all of them. Don't really want to get one and have to do mods to mount the mobo.

That ion board does look pretty nice. Although looking at the prices on this board, and available pci 9400s on newegg looks like it will be more than $100 extra to be getting everything as a single unit when they are first released. Hopefully prices drop on them, or maybe the prices in that article aren't as high as they will actually be released. Has there been any figures released about the power consumption on those boards? I'm assuming they will be mcuh lower than a 330 with the intel chipset and an extra 9400 pci card.
According to some forums I read, it will be less than $200 for dual core atom ion motherboard ..
CrashX Wrote:According to some forums I read, it will be less than $200 for dual core atom ion motherboard ..

Zotac IONITX-A-U: $303 http://en.expreview.com/2009/04/20/zotac...works.html
crashx, davilla, and anyone else with a 330 setup:

What skins are you using? Are you able to run aeon with this?
badmoviesnbeer Wrote:crashx, davilla, and anyone else with a 330 setup:

What skins are you using? Are you able to run aeon with this?

I run pm3.hd as I find the other skins have way too much useless eye candy and navigation in the GUI suffers with too many thing popping up and changing shape/position. They also seem very keyboard driven and I'm a mouse/IR remote kind of guy.

I have tested the other skins on a D945GCLF2/8400 system and they seem fine but pm3.hd is my daily skin.
Same here using pm3.hd without any problems ... Haven't tested aeon yet ..
CrashX Wrote:Same here using pm3.hd without any problems ... Haven't tested aeon yet ..

Im sure regular Aeon will lag a bit.
But id like to see how one of the "Aeon lite" editions works for you. Like the AppleTV version of it: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49567

-Ash-
AshsToAshs Wrote:Im sure regular Aeon will lag a bit.

So has anyone tried Aeon (non-optimized) on an N330? I'm going to build an ION htpc, and I'd love to know if I can use xbmc and aeon to it's full potential.
Based mostly on comments in this thread I ordered a machine that will be a diskless XBMC frontend.

APEX MI-100BK
Intel BOXD945GCLF2D
PNY VCG84512SPEB
Kingston 2GB

The PNY card fits in the system quite easily. If however you had a hard drive mounted in the side of the case you might have trouble. My system is diskless so it works out fine for me.
Hi there, I also own same mobo.
Can confirm following:
Good:
1. Cheap
2. Does the job great watching up to 720
3. Pretty stable, doesn't crash
Bad:
1. Way to noisy (changing fans is a must)
2. Box is overheating it melted my sons chocolate Big Grin
3. S-Video doesn't work out of the box with XBMC HD install. I was able to compile new drivers and make it work but decided to go for XBMC Live and S-Video doesn't work.
I tried tons of xorg.conf variations, nothing wrks.

Just my 3 cents Wink

Cheers...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback0