• 1(current)
XBox Component Video Cable Options for High-Definiton Output (enable 480p/720p/1080i)
Information 
I've compiled the following info to attempt to provide a quickly accessible answer the common question:

"What are my options for a quality Component Video output connector for my XBox?"

The list below contains the product information and corresponding purchase links (where available) for cables that have received favorable feedback from users of this forum.

If you do not see a link for a retailer that will ship to your location, check out eBay or the other usual avenues. If you find a site that sells to your location, please PM me so I can add a link (so new viewers don't have to go through tons of posts to find it).

Also, please feel free to contact me with any other cables that you've had good experience with and a link to the retailer. I'll add those to the list as well.

Component Video + Optical (5.1) Audio:
  • Microsoft High Definition AV Pack (Discontinued) - Product Info
    Buy: US
  • Psyclone Component Video with Digital Audio Out - Product Info

Component Video + RCA (Stereo) Audio Only:
Component Video + RCA (Stereo) Audio with Optical (5.1) Adapter sold separately:
  • Monster Cable Xbox Component Video with RCA Audio - Product Info

Multiple outputs (Composite, S-Video, Component + Optical, RCA) with a corresponding switch:
Component Video + RCA (Stereo) Audio for Multiple Consoles with a corresponding switch:

PS! (from Gamester17)
Here is a link to a guide for HOW-TO enable HD (High-Definition) on a softmodded European PAL Xbox (also works for NTSC if you ignore the "Enigmah" part, and works for chip-modded Xboxes if you ignore the "EEPROM_off.bin" part).

Happy HDTV!
nice post, thank you.
I can recommend the monster cable: I bought it (expensive) after a negative experience (ghosting) with the Konig cable set. Now XBMC looks great in 720p on my Pan Plasma 46".
Since I'm mostly a "taker" of information here, I'll give a gift to a few people looking for cables - I found this place:
http://www.estarland.com/XBox.cat..product.14445.html

Less than $20 for official M/S cables (compared to $50+ elsewhere). I ordered mine and got them in 3 days (and that was to Canada), and despite the page stating cables may not be included, they were. Product is perfect, can't even tell it was used.

I don't imagine they have too many in their inventory, so you should try and grab them while they last.
deepblue Wrote:Since I'm mostly a "taker" of information here, I'll give a gift to a few people looking for cables - I found this place:
http://www.estarland.com/XBox.cat..product.14445.html

Less than $20 for official M/S cables (compared to $50+ elsewhere). I ordered mine and got them in 3 days (and that was to Canada), and despite the page stating cables may not be included, they were. Product is perfect, can't even tell it was used.

I don't imagine they have too many in their inventory, so you should try and grab them while they last.

Hi Deepblue,

Dunno what you have for a screen, but when I used the "boxy" component-out cables (the one in your link which goes to a rectangular plastic box), on anything higher than 480p, I had diagonal lines in my image which were really annoying. In 1080i or 720p, regardless of which settings I changed, in both video playback and in XBMC, I couldn't get away from them. And once you see them for the first time, you can't keep staring at them. Moving down to 480p was the only solution I could find up until I purchased the Psyclone XBOX component cable which does not have the plastic box (cable goes directly from XBOX port to component). Just wondering if you had the same issue. I was looking at a 1080p 50 inch plasma, so maybe the big picture made the problem worse....

Thanks,
DD.
frov Wrote:I can recommend the monster cable: I bought it (expensive) after a negative experience (ghosting) with the Konig cable set. Now XBMC looks great in 720p on my Pan Plasma 46".

hi, what do you mean by "gosting", is this like a faint shadow of the picture? if so, i agree regarding the konig cables. i had it with three different cables. is there any way to reduce it, or just buy a different cable from someone else?
Dare978Devil Wrote:Hi Deepblue,

Dunno what you have for a screen, but when I used the "boxy" component-out cables (the one in your link which goes to a rectangular plastic box), on anything higher than 480p, I had diagonal lines in my image which were really annoying. In 1080i or 720p, regardless of which settings I changed, in both video playback and in XBMC, I couldn't get away from them. And once you see them for the first time, you can't keep staring at them. Moving down to 480p was the only solution I could find up until I purchased the Psyclone XBOX component cable which does not have the plastic box (cable goes directly from XBOX port to component). Just wondering if you had the same issue. I was looking at a 1080p 50 inch plasma, so maybe the big picture made the problem worse....

Thanks,
DD.

DD - I tried buying cables from a couple of different ebay vendors (non-MS ones) and got the issue you're describing. I don't get it with the official M/S cables. That said - if you've got cables that are doing the job, that's good...I just have an absolute requirement for an optical or SPDIF audio out so I can feed my home theater...basic L/R won't cut it, and I've never seen a cable (other than official M/S) that supports digital audio out.
I got a set of non-microsoft 'box' cables on ebay. No issues to report - using component and optical off the box.
The Ixos from Futureshop are first rate, good quality, excellent price and great service.

Delivery was in 8 days from the UK to New Zealand.

If you can get by without digital audio these are the go!
gilsil Wrote:hi, what do you mean by "gosting", is this like a faint shadow of the picture? if so, i agree regarding the konig cables. i had it with three different cables. is there any way to reduce it, or just buy a different cable from someone else?

Yes, ghosting is seeing double vision. It was rather good visible I recall.
No really nice to look at. Then the RGB PAL setting was better for me.
Also there was quite some noise on screen with those cheaper cables.
It was worst at 720p, and (to my surprise) better at 1080i. I guess the noise
is dependent on local interference.
With the Monster cable I got next, there was a biiiig difference: really crisp and nice to look at.
About $20 no longer blurry pictures on artwork and words in the description....would highly recommend!!!
Wow the Psyclone cables are now $10 on Amazon. I've used the MS ones (great) 2 generic brands (both returned b/c of ghosting issues), and the Psyclone (great). The only negative about the Psyclone is that the cables are not detachable - so it's not ideal for running behind a wall - but the quality is great.
I would urge folks to be cautious with this adapter; While it looks quite cool, with options for component, composite, and S-video-out, as well as coaxial and optical digital-audio-out, this unit would not output a High-Definition signal without terrible ghosting. I purchased it on ebay.
gilsil Wrote:hi, what do you mean by "gosting", is this like a faint shadow of the picture? if so, i agree regarding the konig cables. i had it with three different cables. is there any way to reduce it, or just buy a different cable from someone else?

I just bought the konig cable with composit, s-video, component output + Optical, RCA and at first got very disappointed with the result at 720p. There where clearly visible ghosting, especially noticable on text.

However, the ghosting all disappeared when I also plugged in the s-video connector to my TV (still looking at the component output). At the same time the picture got a bit dimmer (it was very bright before). So it appears that with this cable you need to have the extra load on the s-video output to get the correct levels and termination on the component signals.

Now the picture looks very good.

/Ruben
Not sure if this is old news but...

For those of you who bought a 3rd party av pack, particularly the dongle type with the square plastic box. If you get ghosting and blurring in HD modes it is fixable. All you have to do is open up the box with a small screwdriver, take a knife or any other sharp object and scratch out the board connections with th s-video port.

I did this after experiencing blurring, and it now works perfectly. I was glad I discovered this because I was just about to spend $30+ on a OE brand one. It's great because I can have my HD output along with a digital coaxial connection to my receiver for 5.1 sound.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBox Component Video Cable Options for High-Definiton Output (enable 480p/720p/1080i)1