[MERGED] XBMC Digital Output / SoundBlaster Problems
Phi2039 I just followed the "how to submit a bug report" sticky, so thank you to whoever put that together. THANK YOU for your excellent reponse, but here's my question, aren't you involved in some sort of audio system rewrite for XBMC? If so, then why are you using an audio card that essentially doesn't work? Do you also have a card that does work. Here's the Million Dollar Question - What sound card in your opinion is the best for digital output with XBMCHuh I'm so desperate to get this to work that I'll buy your recommended card tomorrow! Please respond ASAP!
With my system I have very often problem that there is no sound when starting a movie.
To 'wake up' the digitalout I have to go to OSD menu and put sound to analog and then back to digital.
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
pasqualz Wrote:Phi2039 I just followed the "how to submit a bug report" sticky, so thank you to whoever put that together. THANK YOU for your excellent reponse, but here's my question, aren't you involved in some sort of audio system rewrite for XBMC? If so, then why are you using an audio card that essentially doesn't work? Do you also have a card that does work. Here's the Million Dollar Question - What sound card in your opinion is the best for digital output with XBMCHuh I'm so desperate to get this to work that I'll buy your recommended card tomorrow! Please respond ASAP!
I'm using the card I have because it's the card I have Tongue. I can assure you that this problem will not exist in the new audio system (and will likely be fixed in the current architecture shortly).
nanite,
apparently PHI has replicated this issue, so now I'm interested in ditching my x-fi xtreme audio card and buying one that is proven to work. This may be opening pandora's box, but has anyone thought of starting survey threads that record what sound card and video card people are using. Again, this could cause more confusion, but it would have helped me! I couldn't find any info that mentioned what sound cards with digital out were or weren't compatible with XBMC, so I took a chance and bought the x-fi xtreme audio card last week. If I could have seen a survey that showed that 50% of the userpopulation uses the "brand x soundcard" then I would have bought that one with more confidence.
on another note, can I install multiple different builds of XBMC on my PC without them interfering with each otherHuh?
Thanks!
Installing new build over very old one will most likely wipe out your settings, keymap.xml and movie/music databases.

Can you answer what version of XBMC are you using at the moment.
For posting problems to this forum its good to provide this info.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
pasqualz Wrote:on another note, can I install multiple different builds of XBMC on my PC without them interfering with each otherHuh?
Thanks!

Sort of...8.10 will use the configuration in the install folder and is fairly self-contained. SVN builds will default to using the configuration in your user profile ApplicationData folder. If you start a newer build with the -p (portable) flag, it will use the configuration in the install folder. By doing this, you can prevent any problems stemming from configuration incompatibilities.

Another, $0 cost, option is to download VS2008Express and the DirectX SDK, follow the wiki post on how to build XBMC from source (incredibly simple), and I can give you a 1-line patch (that I have been using for weeks) that will work around the issue until I find a proper fix. I suggest this option. The X-fi is a good card, and it will be working in SVN very soon.

-C
SEND ME THAT PATCH, I'm gonna compile my own version of XBMC!!!!
Here is the workaround. I have not had any problems with it yet, but it not a complete solution.
http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/5...round.diff
phi2039 Wrote:Here is the workaround. I have not had any problems with it yet, but it not a complete solution.
http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/5...round.diff

Thanks for your effort Phi2039.

Here are some links pasqualz:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post290913
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5937

edit: compile mode
I use the X-Fi Titanium card. Does that explain why I don't have this problem?
natethomas: It is tough to say. There are several different causes emerging for the same set of symptoms.
All, I just want to acknowledge the time and effort that Phi2039 invested in my issue last night. Not only did he reply quickly to my posts and PMs, but he also gave me a possible patch to try and resolve this issue, showed me how to access him on IRC and then stayed on IRC with me for about 4 hours last night and guided me through the entire patch and compile process! Thsi is one dedicated and helpful team member! Thanks Phi! Now for the bad news, the patch we tried did not seem to work for me and at this point I'm wondering if the x-fi sound cards are too wonky to use with XBMC. I'm still looking for suggestions of sound cards that seem to work for other people. The saga continues. . .
Louike, as you know, after we chatted on IRC last night, Phi helped me patch and recompile xbmc with a possible fix for the x-fi issues. Unfortunately it didn't work. The good news is that Phi is not only dedicated to fixing this and other audio issues, but he seems incredibly smart and capable of fixing this soon. Let's cross our fingers!
In the mean time, please direct as many people as possible to my sound card survey http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...audio+card so that we can try to establish what the most popular (and hopefully compatible,) sound card is for windows XBMC.
Pasqual
Pasqualz, for the sake of completeness, did you attempt my little fix from the first page? It's a minor thing, but without it I often have trouble running particular ripped movies because they get choppy.

I assume you at least took a look at the suggestion, but I want to be able to cross it off the list before coming up with other ones.
natethomas: His problem is not related to video playback (but thank you for the suggestion). There is a problem initializing the audio hardware in the first place, which throws off A/V sync moving forward.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MERGED] XBMC Digital Output / SoundBlaster Problems0