XBMC & a 780G chipset (ATI HD3200 integrated)
I just wondered if anyone has a motherboard with the integrated ATI HD3200 graphics. I'm having problems with my standalone card and am thinking of jumping ship to an all-in-one solution.

Also kind of Processor should I look at getting if I wanna play some HD stuff (720p) ?.

Thanks,
Marcus
I use a GIGABYTE GA-MA78M-S2H mb, along with a AMD 4850e CPU.
The combo is cheap and will play most 1080p content out there aswell.
while I cannot 2nd what linko said, I just finished building a HTPC for a friend with that CPU, from what I gather reading on here for blu-ray bitrate content the 4850e will stutter a bit. But it can play most HD content fine. I have tested some 720p MKV files on it and they played flawlessly. I'm running Vista 64 with 4 gigs of memory (overkill for a HTPC I know lol)

The 780G chipset is supposed to be pretty good for a HTPC setup, that's why I told my friend to go with it. Got the Asus A3M78 board, has HDMI and optical out, wasn't expensive at all either.
linko Wrote:I use a GIGABYTE GA-MA78M-S2H mb, along with a AMD 4850e CPU.

I have that board with a X2 5600 and I can play most 1080p mkvs and I get surround over HDMI since Catalyst 9.3.
I have that chipset and onboard video as well with a 4850e. It works beautifully, but I wouldn't bother playing 1080p content on it with my processor.
linko Wrote:I use a GIGABYTE GA-MA78M-S2H mb, along with a AMD 4850e CPU.

I have this motherboard as well. It never stutters on any 1080p and performs like a champ. I have Core AVC (multi-threaded codec), but as far as I know, XBMC uses its own codecs. CPU is AMD 5000+
Obi Have Wrote:I have that board with a X2 5600 and I can play most 1080p mkvs and I get surround over HDMI since Catalyst 9.3.

Surround over HDMI is now supported? Shocked

That's what I'm talking about! Cool
I've got the GA-MA78M-US2H and the AMD 5050e. I am just waiting on my Antec NSK1380 to show up to do the build. The experience related here is good news to me, especially since for now I'll only be playing DVD-quality media on it!
I Have a Gigabyte mobo with 780G and 4850e.

Anything up to 720p will play without any problem.

For 1080p, lowest bitrates mkv's will play without problem. But Hight Bitrates One won't play smooth.
However, you can obtain nearly perfect result by overclocking the cpu. But then, it will heatb a lot more, and thus, i am not sure it's a good solution ...

You will read on this forum that if you want to be able to play everything smoothly with amd, you need nothing less that 6200+.

Keep in mind that xbmc use only your cpu to decode videoz and only two cores.

Finally, i would say that 780g + 4850e or 5050e is probably the most cost effective solution for running XBMC under windows.
Thanks for the insight guys, I'll be getting 780g for sure now Nod
Mine is Gigabyte with 790G ( ATi HD 3300 integrated ) with AMD 5050e and 2Gb of RAM , and with Catalyst 9.3 all videos are Ok for me.
Is the 790G worth getting over the 780G ?
mug2k Wrote:Is the 790G worth getting over the 780G ?

My decision making process for not getting the 790G over the 780G was that for the price difference, if I really needed better graphics, I could buy an add-on card cheaper (and better - like Radeon 4350) than the price difference between my 780G board and the 790G boards I was looking at.

So, for me, that'd be a no.

I think this is a pretty great deal ($69.99 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128379

Most of the similar boards have the Realtek codec and this was the only one I found with the ALC889a. Everything else was 888 or lower so that's a bonus too to hold me over until the day I need a discrete graphics card.
are these boards pretty much silent if you get a good fan for the cpu ?
I would go for some nvidia integrated due to vdpau developement... But it's me...

DP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & a 780G chipset (ATI HD3200 integrated)0