Graduated skipping for video
I've tried many media center programs over the last several years and am just now trying XBMC. I'm generally loving it, but there's one feature I can't seem to find and I'm hoping there's a way to do it that I'm missing. I've been using Media Portal for the last year or so, and I really miss its graduated skipping feature.

In short: press FF once, it skips forward 15 secs, press twice skips forward 30 secs, then 1 min, 3 min, 10 min, 15 min, 30, 45, 1 hr, 2 hrs. RR works the same way. This system works really well for quickly finding exactly the point you want to play.

Is there a way to do this in XBMC? I looked at the advancedsettings.xml file and couldn't see a way to do it there....

Any help appreciated!
Adding to that if i may, I saw some keymapping info, and saw that up and down skips 10% and left and right skips 1% of the movie, at least the default keys do.

if what the original poster asked for cannot be done, can we change it to say 1 tap left or right is a 1 second skip and up and down is a 60 second skip?
What the orignal poster asked cannot be done. I know it is the default in Media Portal and is a nice feature.

You should be able to change the values in seconds in the up/down and left/right arrows. I have seen it somewhere in the past. Might want to search for it in the forums.
SlaveUnit Wrote:What the orignal poster asked cannot be done. I know it is the default in Media Portal and is a nice feature.

You should be able to change the values in seconds in the up/down and left/right arrows. I have seen it somewhere in the past. Might want to search for it in the forums.

See the advancedsettings.xml page in the wiki. small/largeskipforward/back tags.
yeah, i also used mediaportal a long time ago, and then switch to xbmc. I agree that the jump feature of mediaportal is really great, probably the most user friendly one can thought of. It would be great if it could be done in xbmc.
althekiller Wrote:See the advancedsettings.xml page in the wiki. small/largeskipforward/back tags.

thanks. these will definitely do me ok for now.
um...wil trying to get the skipping to work, which i have not yet, i just found something.

JGravitas: XBMC does exactly this. The default keys while playing video is f and r. Pressing multiple times cycles through the varying speeds of seek. Space goes back to 1 X. Try it. Im using SVN 18923. Probably that way in older versions.

I guess there is still a whole lot to discover for me. Smile I'm working my way through C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\Keymap.xml and trying to find all the shotcuts. + and - is for volume control.

I am sure we can bind these to other keys.
yeah FF an RW can go at different speeds. But that is very different from the 15/30/60/120/300 secs interval jumps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Graduated skipping for video0