Harmony 550 and lirc troubles
I'm wondering if anybody has a Harmony 550 successfully working with lirc and XBMC?

I've got the Harmony 550 setup as a MCE remote and it generally works, but the button presses don't quite work like I want them to. I've tried messing with the gap setting in the conf file, but I can't find one that works really well. I've tried really low numbers and really high numbers. I have also tried messing with the <remoterepeat> setting in Advancedsettings but that isn't making much difference either.

I think I need to change a repeat setting somewhere or something. In irw, my remote commands seem to either register two or three times for each press, or they don't register at all. XBMC reflects this. When moving through lists, it either goes two or three items at a time, or it doesn't go at all. Hitting the select button either does a double click or it doesn't do anything at all.

I'm going to keep tweaking the gap and mess with the repeat settings, but if anybody has a Harmony 550 working well, I'd love to see your conf file. I'd also like to see what you set the delay settings at in the Harmony software.
i believe I have an H550 and I do not experience any problems. I do however see buttons repeat when running "irw", however this has never caused any problems from within XBMC. The remote works great.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Do you have it setup as an MCE remote? If so, did you have to change any of the config settings in lirc?
yes, it is setup as mce remote i believe. that or the newer one. I did not use any special changes to lirc or in the harmony software. If i remember correctly, i believe i see like 3 button presses for each on in "irw".
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Weird. I'll try setting the delay settings on the Harmony back to their defaults. I messed with them a while back when I was using the remote with Vista.

It might be something with my IR Receiver. It came built into the computer and is probably not the best quality. I'm thinking about just purchasing one off NewEgg.
I have a harmony 515 and experienced the same issues as you, but i found a way to fix it:

1) Don't set it up as MCE remote, but as 'PVR' -> 'KLS' -> 'VDR'
2) Configure keys as shown here: Image. If you speak german there's also a complete howto here: http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Fe...ch_Harmony
3) Use this /etc/lircd.conf:
Code:
begin remote
  name  harmony_kls_vdr
  bits           13
  flags RC5|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one           922   858
  zero          922   858
  plead         937
  gap          116048
  min_repeat      2
  toggle_bit      2

begin codes
          mute                     0x1780
          vol+                     0x1001
          vol-                     0x1002
          ch-                      0x1003
          ch+                      0x1004
          prev                     0x1005
          up                       0x1006
          down                     0x1007
          left                     0x1008
          right                    0x1009
          ok                       0x100A
          menu                     0x100B
          exit                     0x100C
          guide                    0x100D
          info                     0x100E
          stop                     0x100F
          replay                   0x1010
          skip                     0x1011
          play                     0x1012
          rec                      0x1013
          rew                      0x1014
          fwd                      0x1015
          pause                    0x1016
          1                        0x1017
          2                        0x1018
          3                        0x1019
          4                        0x101A
          5                        0x101B
          6                        0x101C
          7                        0x101D
          8                        0x101E
          9                        0x101F
          clear                    0x1020
          0                        0x1021
          enter                    0x1022
          red                      0x1023
          green                    0x1024
          yellow                   0x1025
          blue                     0x1026
          channels                 0x1027
          commands                 0x1028
          slowrew                  0x1029
          slowfwd                  0x102A
          recordings               0x102B
          timers                   0x102C
          setup                    0x102D
          user1                    0x102E
          user2                    0x102F
          user3                    0x1030
          user4                    0x1031
          user5                    0x1032
          user6                    0x1033
          user7                    0x1034
          user8                    0x1035
          user9                    0x1036
          user10                   0x1037
          user11                   0x1038
          user12                   0x1039
          user13                   0x103A
          user14                   0x103B
          user15                   0x103C
          user16                   0x103D
          poweroff                 0x103E
          poweron                  0x103F
      end codes
end remote
4) If keys repeat too often/too much, go to your logitech harmony setup tool, and set repeat settings to 1 or even 0.
5) Model your Lircmap.xml after your new config.

My harmony is working perfectly using this setup. I have 64 codes available - more than i ever would want to use Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, Haggy. I'll give that a shot.
Oh.........my..........god............

It works!!! Haggy, you are the man! Using the vdr method you outlined works fantastic. The remote doesn't lag or stutter or anything. It's absolutely perfect in every way. It even seems more smooth than the MCE setup was in Vista.

I can't thank you enough. I spent literally hours trying to get the harmony to work as an MCE remote. I looked all over Google and nobody seemed to have the same problem. I'm really glad you saw this thread and decided to respond.

Now if only I could get the PC to wake up from suspend without hanging, my setup would be perfect.
You're welcome Smile

What suspend problems do you have (in more detail).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
My PC goes to sleep just fine. But when I try to wake it up, it just hangs. The only thing it does is start spinning the fan and then it just sits there. I think I hear the hard drives spin back up too. The screen doesn't come back so I don't get any error messages or anything. The network doesn't seem to come up because I can't SSH into it.

The only log I know about to look at is pm-suspend.log. It shows the events to suspend and says it was successful, but it doesn't log anything about waking up.

I've pretty much just given up on that part. I followed the minimal install guide to set it up, and it boots pretty quickly from a cold boot. I'm going to try Ubuntu 9.04 when it comes out and see if works then. Unless you have any ideas for me. Any logs that I could possibly look at?
sounds like a serious acpi/bios issue. unfortunately, if you're not on a notebook which tend to have better acpi implementations, there's little you can do about it. have a look at kern.log, messages, syslog and dmesg. you can post them to pastebin and i'll have a look at it.

meanwhile, try pci=nomsi as a kernel boot parameter and see if that helps. it may solve issues with pci cards not waking up properly.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that kernel parameter and cross my fingers. If not, I'll just see what the next version of Ubuntu brings. I've been googling it a lot and it appears that 9.04 has some fixes for stuff like this.

I remember looking at some of those logs you mentioned but I didn't see anything relating to suspend. I'll try to post them for you when I get home anyway, maybe you can find something in them that's helpful.
Here are my logs. I really appreciate your time.

http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/f5e7bac76
http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/f3d0d6c7d
http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/faee6f8e
http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/f1fffc469
Sorry, don't have much time atm, but after a first look i also don't see something suspicous - it just looks like normal reboots?! Did you try that kernel parameter?
Haggy Wrote:Sorry, don't have much time atm, but after a first look i also don't see something suspicous - it just looks like normal reboots?! Did you try that kernel parameter?

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that. The kernel parameter didn't make any difference.

Don't worry about it. I'll just save energy and cold boot for now. Maybe Jaunty will work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony 550 and lirc troubles1