• 1(current)
[MAC] XBMCHelper (XBMC's IR-helper) new Beta version (with Logitech Harmony support)
While it won't go into XBMC Babylon because of feature freeze, there's a
new implementation of XBMC's IR-helper (aka XBMCHelper) on OSX for that includes support for handling multiple
AppleRemotes. This may sound not that interesting, but has a neat side effect:
Full usage of Logitech's Harmony remote (which simply acts as several AppleRemotes with different IDs)

To test this there are a few steps to do:
a) prepare your Harmony with Plex' mapping from the Logitech database by adding
a "Media Center PC - Plex - Plex Player" device
b) download new XBMCHelper (or build your own version from Babylon branch)
c) replace XBMCHelper in XBMC Babylon's App folder (/Application/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/tools/osx/) with the new version
c1) make XBMCHelper executable (chmod +x /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/tools/osx/XBMCHelper)
d) make sure AppleRemote is enabled and set to "Standard" (Settings->System->AppleRemote)
e) download updated Keymap.xml and copy it to your userdata folder (~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/)
f) make sure your Mac isn't paired with any AppleRemote

Please feel free to post bugs or discuss Keymap.xml default mappings in this thread.

Attention:
Babylon 9.04.1 has a typo that prevents XBMCHelper to survive reboots in "Always On" mode. This is fixed in current svn.
See this post for a workaround

Thanks to
- Martin Kahr for sharing the RemoteControlWrapper framework, which does most of the remote handling stuff for us
- davilla/d4rk for bringing up the idea on how to support the Harmony through several remotes
- Plex team/Pundy for implementing this in Plex, so that we got our asses up and added it too Smile

Keymap.xml changes:
- added JumpSMS stuff (thanks Weavus!)

EditX: added f)

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Today is the day I move back to XBMC on my Mini. This has been the killer feature that was keeping me on Plex.

I'll try it out when I get home tonight. Thanks a bunch!
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I wish I could buy you a beer. I've been trying to get my harmony remote working with xbmc on my apple tv for weeks. This worked absolutely perfectly.

Thank you!!!
Unfortunately, it's not working here. I tried to go back only using the Apple Remote, but this is also working anymore. Way to go! What have I done wrong? I also can't see an active XBMC helper in the activity moniter. This problem is driving me mad, instead of having a better remote control, i've gone to worse.

Please help!
chmod +x /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/tools/osx/XBMCHelper
Nevermind, it's working with the 'codeidontunderstandbutitworked' from loula, thanks a lot!
WJWNL Wrote:What kind of file is the new XBMC helper? I see that the old one is an Unix file, and the new one, a blank one. Also the old one is 128kb while the new one is 500+kb, maybe that's the problem?

open the terminal and type
chmod +x /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/tools/osx/XBMCHelper
It should be noted that Pundy was the guy who did all the work at learning all the remotes into the Harmony, and for working with Logitech to get the "plex" item into their software. And ofcourse, nice work by MaestroDD to incorporate the changes into XBMCRemote Smile

Let us know what you think could be improved - we're more than happy to take the time to optimize both the keymapping (that's the easy bit) and/or the mapping of apple remotes to harmony buttons.

Once we have it perfect, we'll work with Logitech to get an XBMC entry into their software so that it's a little more intuitive.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This still doesn't solve my main issue: Launch XBMC on my mac from the remote.
I guess I will have to wait some more.
It' a shame 'cause Plex and Boxee both can do it.
loula Wrote:This still doesn't solve my main issue: Launch XBMC on my mac from the remote.
I guess I will have to wait some more.
It' a shame 'cause Plex and Boxee both can do it.

this does work and has been working for several weeks in svn before the beta branch, if you are having problems, please describe in detail what you are doing.
Nothing special really. Just enabled "always running" in the options.
It has stopped front row from launching, but no XBMC.
I'm using the latest aeon skin (auriga) but I don't think this is an issue.
Anyway, it simply won't launch on both my machines, an Intel imac, and an also Intel Macbook.
What Kind of details do you mean?
Could anyone tell me how to get the sms jump working for my harmony remote with this keymap.xml? Thanks!
loula Wrote:Nothing special really. Just enabled "always running" in the options.
It has stopped front row from launching, but no XBMC.
I'm using the latest aeon skin (auriga) but I don't think this is an issue.
Anyway, it simply won't launch on both my machines, an Intel imac, and an also Intel Macbook.
What Kind of details do you mean?

pastebin of xbmc.log
pastebin of "ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/"
pastebin of "cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/XBMCHelper.conf"
pastebin of "ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents/"
pastebin of cat ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.xbmc.helper.plist"

for starters.

Also XBMC.app is launched by holding down the menu button on the IR remote.
Weavus Wrote:Could anyone tell me how to get the sms jump working for my harmony remote with this keymap.xml? Thanks!
To answer my own question I added the follwing to the <joystick name=harmony"> section in MyVideoFiles, MyVideoLibrary, MyMusicFiles and MyMusicLibrary:

<!-- 1 --> <button id="11">JumpSMS1</button>
<!-- 2 --> <button id="12">JumpSMS2</button>
<!-- 3 --> <button id="13">JumpSMS3</button>
<!-- 4 --> <button id="14">JumpSMS4</button>
<!-- 5 --> <button id="23">JumpSMS5</button>
<!-- 6 --> <button id="24">JumpSMS6</button>
<!-- 7 --> <button id="33">JumpSMS7</button>
<!-- 8 --> <button id="34">JumpSMS8</button>
<!-- 9 --> <button id="43">JumpSMS9</button>

Works a treat! Perhaps it should be the in the default keymap?
davilla Wrote:pastebin of xbmc.log
pastebin of "ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/"
pastebin of "cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/XBMCHelper.conf"
pastebin of "ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents/"
pastebin of cat ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.xbmc.helper.plist"

for starters.

Also XBMC.app is launched by holding down the menu button on the IR remote.

I am the dumbest person on earth. I was just missing the press and hold thing.
A little weird but I can live with that.
Anyway, thanks a milion. You are the guy.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] XBMCHelper (XBMC's IR-helper) new Beta version (with Logitech Harmony support)0