[HELP] Moving from Xbox to HTPC
So I am planning the switch from Xbox to a newly built HTPC. I have been reading though the forums about what some people are using, but wanted to clearify with everyone.

-Which Windows works the best with XBMC?

-Could I get some recommendations for processor, motherboard, and powersupply. I am looking to keep my case small and will be using a nas box for my hdd's. I want HDMI output and good sound. I was hoping to do 4g of ram. I will not be using anything beyond a standard dvd drive, since all my movies are bluray & sddvd stored on the hdd's. They are a mix of 720p & 1080p for blurays.

My main reason for leaving Xbox is the 720p & 1080p playback, as well as the lag that comes with xbmc windows loading with images & fanart. So I would like to make sure that is as minimal as possible.

Thanks for your help everyone!
I have tried a few different OS's and configs on my Athlon 4400xp HTPC system, ATI HD 4350 (HDMI) with 2 gig of ram:
XP SP3, Ubuntu and Vista Premium 32bit
XP SP3 1080p content: no dropped frames, averages 50 to 70% CPU load. 720p content averages 30%
Ubuntu 1080p content: Dropped frames, averages 90+ load. Restricted ATI driver was a painful experience considering how easy it was to get the display perfect on Windows systems.
Vista Premium 1080p content: Some Dropped frames, averages 70- 90% load. Motion intensive scenes cause slight dropping of frames.

On my system XP is by far the better performer and easiest to setup. The HTPC also doubles as a media server, downloader and internal webserver. Any processor higher than this would suffice.
Hi,

I'm planning the same, I also want switch to HTPC.

But I don't have a HD Television yet, so it doesn't make sense to me for now.

If you are going to build up a new system (buy hardware), I would recommend Ubuntu 8.10 with VDPAU support and nVidia GFX Card. Minimum is 8400 for VDPAU support.

VDPAU is the newest "feature" of XBMC. VC1 and MPEG2 is decoded by GFX, so you have only 10% CPU Load instead of 90%.

Another thing is, that Linux offers much more "free" Software, which could be very interesting for you: MythTV and VDR just to name two.

Buy a digital tv card and you can watch TV from inside XBMC...

Search for VPPAU on the forums!

cu lolol
I don't really have need for VDPAU as I am able to playback 1080p flawlessly using my current set-up. I also have a headless ubuntu server for other things. Display issues such as correct 1:1 pixel mapping 24hz to 60hz synching is poor under linux as the drivers are lacking in features.

I have a TV card and use http://www.bluebit.com.au/cms.php?id=10 to record.
AzzX Wrote:I don't really have need for VDPAU as I am able to playback 1080p flawlessly using my current set-up. I also have a headless ubuntu server for other things. Display issues such as correct 1:1 pixel mapping 24hz to 60hz synching is poor under linux as the drivers are lacking in features.

I have a TV card and use http://www.bluebit.com.au/cms.php?id=10 to record.

I meant the origin poster "ekim"....

Maybe you're right. But only for ATI, I think... Because of that I recommended Nvidia newer than 8400...

cheers lolol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HELP] Moving from Xbox to HTPC0