[MAC] High CPU usage on PPC (PowerPC) Mac
Hello,

First: THANKS for XBMC for PPC!

I notice that when XBMC is just idle, it still seems to use up significant CPU time (40 according to Activity Monitor). There doesn't seem to be any activity on the xbmc.log file. Is there anything I can check to see what it might be doing?

Thanks,

Allan

OSX Version: 10.5.6
Platform Mac: PowerMac PPC 2.7 dual (8GB RAM)
Install Method: drag and drop
SVN Revision: 9.04-beta1 r19578M
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: Launch XBMC and do nothing.
AllanMarcus Wrote:Hello,

First: THANKS for XBMC for PPC!

I notice that when XBMC is just idle, it still seems to use up significant CPU time (40 according to Activity Monitor). There doesn't seem to be any activity on the xbmc.log file. Is there anything I can check to see what it might be doing?

Thanks,

Allan

OSX Version: 10.5.6
Platform Mac: PowerMac PPC 2.7 dual (8GB RAM)
Install Method: drag and drop
SVN Revision: 9.04-beta1 r19578M
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: Launch XBMC and do nothing.

enable vsync always, that might help.
Do you mean

Settings: Appearance: Screen: Vertical Blank Sync -> Always Enabled?

I just set that setting and CPU usage when XBMC is idle drops to 20, which is better.

I'm just curious, what is it doing when idle that takes 20% of the CPU?

Thanks,

Allan
AllanMarcus Wrote:Do you mean

Settings: Appearance: Screen: Vertical Blank Sync -> Always Enabled?

I just set that setting and CPU usage when XBMC is idle drops to 20, which is better.

I'm just curious, what is it doing when idle that takes 20% of the CPU?

Thanks,

Allan

Rendering the GUI from scratch at 60 fps. It's something that will be address in a future release (not 9.04).
davilla Wrote:Rendering the GUI from scratch at 60 fps. It's something that will be address in a future release (not 9.04).
Does it do that on all platforms or just PPC?
All.
Question 
I have noticed on my Mac Mini G4 that if XBMC is the foreground application and I hold the mouse down on one of the Mac's menu's (NB not the XBMC menus) then the CPU usage drops to a very low level. This stops all the screen updates in the XBMC window. This doesn't work if XBMC isn't at the front.

Obviously this isn't something that could be used as a workaround on its own but does anyone know of anything automatic that could get the same behaviour from XBMC? It's a bit like freezing a process by starving it of CPU cycles until I choose to re-enable it (rather than quitting it completely).
davilla Wrote:Rendering the GUI from scratch at 60 fps. It's something that will be address in a future release (not 9.04).

I know this is a relatively old thread but I can't find any information on this. I am running 10.0 on a mac mini core2duo 2.53ghz with 4GB Ram OSX 10.6 and the gui is being rendered at 60fps with vsync on and 100fps when it is off.

I don't care so much about the cpu usage but when I scroll through my library fps drops to almost nothing and it is very sluggish. Doesn't happen in Bootcamp or even if I run xbmc in vmware on the same machine. Is this a known bug or can I change a setting somewhere to get it fixed?

Even my ATV's linux don't have a problem with all the fanart in the gui, so I am assuming this is an OSX build problem?
goldfinger7476 Wrote:I know this is a relatively old thread but I can't find any information on this. I am running 10.0 on a mac mini core2duo 2.53ghz with 4GB Ram OSX 10.6 and the gui is being rendered at 60fps with vsync on and 100fps when it is off.

I don't care so much about the cpu usage but when I scroll through my library fps drops to almost nothing and it is very sluggish. Doesn't happen in Bootcamp or even if I run xbmc in vmware on the same machine. Is this a known bug or can I change a setting somewhere to get it fixed?

Even my ATV's linux don't have a problem with all the fanart in the gui, so I am assuming this is an OSX build problem?

As a test I just installed it on my imac too, i don't have the lagging issues with a drop in the FPS but the CPU does way exceed 100% but I am going to assume I don't see any lag because its the Core i7 processor
I installed 10.0 on my iMac 2.66ghz c2d and get the same problem. when trying to browse in menu, it's VERY sluggish! I get 7 FPS and 100-110% cpu. Is this a bug or is there something i need to change?!
Ok, I fixed it by removing XBMC and deleting the XBMC folder in Libary\Application Support, and then reinstalling XBMC again.
I am trying not to lose my library in the process, spent a lot of time on it

Tried it anyways, but once it starts pulling the fanart and posters from my network shares it slows down again, with and without the dds conversion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] High CPU usage on PPC (PowerPC) Mac0