• 1(current)
[AEON] HOW-TO download/install/update/test Aeon from its Git repository
There have been several reported problems with getting git working, so I decided to write a guide to answer as many questions as possible for both Windows and Linux. Please post feedback below.

I am currently working on this guide. Please bear with me!
I am creating this guide remotely over LogMeIn, but git is crashing on the machine I am using. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to finish.

1.1 Installation (Windows)
Git is, by nature, a console application created for Unix-based systems. A port has been created, however, call msysgit. Msysgit works via several possible methods, the most commonly used being to run is on an emulated Linux bash prompt. The application has evolved to provide some other useful tools such as a GUI to actually working with the Windows command prompt. I will only be covering the Git Bash and Git GUI methods as these are the methods less likely to screw with your machine.
  • Visit http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list and download the latest Full Git installer.
  • Run the installation, press Next to continue, Next to agree to the License, Select your installation directory and press Next, and then choose your Start Menu folder before clicking Next again (the defaults through these screens should be fine)
  • In the Additional Tasks screen you can choose as you like, but I hate it when programs add lines to my context menu, so I uncheck everything
  • The "Adjusting your PATH Environment" is where things get a bit tricky, but for most people the default "Use Git Bash only" is sufficient. Unless you know what you are doing, I would not select either of the other two.
  • Select OpenSSH and continue by pressing Next
  • Either Unix style or Windows style line endings are fine, but I would stick with Windows style line endings, and press Next to commence the installation
  • Press Finish to complete the installation

1.2 Installation (Ubuntu Linux)
This installation is certainly easier than the Windows one and should work for any of the support Ubuntu ditributions.
  • Open up a Terminal prompt
  • Run the following command to install git:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core
  • You should be asked for your administrative password, and then to confirm the package installation
  • After the package downloads and installs you are ready to use git!

2.1 Using Git (Windows)
As I mentioned before, msysgit can be used from a Bash prompt or with the Git GUI application. I will cover both of them enough to get you started.

2.1.1 Git GUI
Incomplete!!!
  • Start the Git GUI and select "Clone Existing Repository"
  • For source location you can paste git://github.com/djh/aeon.git
  • Select Browse for the target directory and navigate to the skin directory in your XBMC installation (default is C:\Program Files\XBMC\skin)
  • Manually add a folder name to the Target Directory field to specify where the skin will be downloaded (it cannot exist already or you will get an error)
  • Select Clone to begin cloning. This will take a while and won't look like it's doing anything. Just let it run.
  • The window that opens is what will let you manipulate your git repository. Navigate to Branch->Checkout (or press Ctrl+O) and select the Tracking Branch[B/] option.
    If you would like the officially supported version of Aeon (Aeon Stark 0.91) then select the [b]origin/master
    branch.
    If you want to test the latest and greatest changes as they arrive daily in preparation of Aeon Auriga, then select the origin/auriga branch.
  • You will get a popup about no longer being on a local branch. Press OK to continue.
I am not familiar with the GUI, and thus I don't know if this is really works. Would someone with more experience please post corrections?

2.1.2 Git Bash
  • Start Git Bash
  • Navigate to your XBMC installation directory (pathnames with spaces in the name require quotes around them) with the cd command. Below is the default example:
    Code:
    cd "/c/Program Files/XBMC/skin"
  • Clone the aeon repository with the git clone command optionally followed by the directory you would like created for it. Below are some examples:

Run the following command to initialize the repository into the default "aeon" directory:
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git

Run the following command to initialize the repository into the directory "Aeon Stark" (good for if you are updating Start and Auriga simultanously in different directories; you can run the same command again to set up the repository in "Aeon Auriga" as well):
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git "Aeon Stark"
  • You can now cd into the directory (or one of the directories) you created. Remember, the path needs quotes around it if it contains spaces.
    Code:
    cd "Aeon Stark"
  • If you are content with the default main branch (that contains the stable Aeon Stark) then you can simply run git pull to make sure the repository is up to date. If you would like to use the "auriga" branch then you will need to run the following command first:
    Code:
    git checkout -b auriga origin/auriga
    This will change your active branch to "auriga". Now you can run git pull to download the changes from that branch.
You can now navigate to and run git pull from any of the directories you created with Git Bash, and the latest changes will be downloaded. Here is a screenshot of the command history I generated while building this guide:

2.1 Using Git (Ubuntu Linux)
  • Open up Applications->Accessories->Terminal and navigate to the XBMC skin directory. Unless you have manually changed something you should be able to run the following command to go straight to it from wherever:
    Code:
    cd ~/.xbmc/skin
  • Clone the aeon repository with the git clone command optionally followed by the directory you would like created for it. Below are some examples:

Run the following command to initialize the repository into the default "aeon" directory:
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git

Run the following command to initialize the repository into the directory "Aeon Stark" (good for if you are updating Start and Auriga simultanously in different directories; you can run the same command again to set up the repository in "Aeon Auriga" as well):
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git "Aeon Stark"
  • You can now cd into the directory (or one of the directories) you created. Remember, the path needs quotes around it if it contains spaces.
    Code:
    cd "Aeon Stark"
  • If you are content with the default main branch (that contains the stable Aeon Stark) then you can simply run git pull to make sure the repository is up to date. If you would like to use the "auriga" branch then you will need to run the following command first:
    Code:
    git checkout -b auriga origin/auriga
    This will change your active branch to "auriga". Now you can run git pull to download the changes from that branch.
You can now navigate to and run git pull from any of the directories you created with Git Bash, and the latest changes will be downloaded. Here is a screenshot of the command history I generated while building this guide:

3.1 Finishing Up (Fonts)
Lastly you will need to download the fonts from the 0.91 release. You can find it here. Pull the fonts folder from the zip file and copy it into any Aeon skin directories you have created previously. You should now be able to select your new skin(s)!
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
Good work rickatnight11,

Feel free to use my steps for the linux side. I have replicated them a number of times and updated my auriga branch with out issue.

Ubuntu 8.10 default install (plus what ever updated it told me to do), only xbmc, nvidia drivers and lirc are installed.

I am a linux noob so I didn't do anything fancy.

If you need a linux side tester let me know.

It may be easier to format in WINDOWS and UBUNTU sections instead of having INSTALL: Windows and Linux, then USE GIT: Windows and Linux. Just my personal preference thats all
Nice guide, clear and concise. I've been wondering, is there a way to get a .bat file to type the code into GitBash? It's a bit of a faff typing that out each time.
dandirk Wrote:Good work rickatnight11,

Feel free to use my steps for the linux side. I have replicated them a number of times and updated my auriga branch with out issue.

Ubuntu 8.10 default install (plus what ever updated it told me to do), only xbmc, nvidia drivers and lirc are installed.

I am a linux noob so I didn't do anything fancy.

If you need a linux side tester let me know.

It may be easier to format in WINDOWS and UBUNTU sections instead of having INSTALL: Windows and Linux, then USE GIT: Windows and Linux. Just my personal preference thats all
Thanks for the feedback. That's actually how I'm formatting it right now. I got midway through the Windows guide before running into some issues. I haven't started Linux yet.

GinSoakedBoy Wrote:Nice guide, clear and concise. I've been wondering, is there a way to get a .bat file to type the code into GitBash? It's a bit of a faff typing that out each time.
You can certainly batch commands from Git Bash, although it's different from windows batch scripting. It should work the same as in any Linux distribution. List a series of commands in a file, chmod the file to be executable, and then run the file. In this case I don't know how helpful it would be (unless you want the actual cd command in there too) since after the initial set, you should just be able to run git pull to update.
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
Does anyone have Git working with vista 64 bit, I can't install.

thanks,
edgesitter
edgesitter-xbmc Wrote:Does anyone have Git working with vista 64 bit, I can't install.

thanks,
edgesitter
I have it running in Windows 7 64-bit. What install issue are you having?
Thanks so much for this tutorial! Helped me get it actually setup rather than just extracting to folder.
No problem. There's more to come as I work on it and get suggestions.
The guide is finished for the most part. I'm not sure about the Git GUI part as I have never used it. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it. I hope this helps. Please post any questions or feedback.
Good stuff, thanks!
Ok, so got this all working, but I edit my own files, to say includes the international ratings mod. When i go to pull for an update i get

error: Entry '720p/DialogVideoInfo.xml' not uptodate. Cannot Merge.

Which setting do I have to change to allow it to merge. Or even so it will overwrite it if there has been a change and I can modify the file again?
Kudos for this. Cool
AWESOME. I've never used anything but SVN and apparently I fail at GIT by myself. I really appreciate this!

Quote:The guide is finished for the most part. I'm not sure about the Git GUI part as I have never used it. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it. I hope this helps. Please post any questions or feedback.

Also since although I'm a zsh user, I decided for funsies on windows to use the GUI, your tutorial worked great!

--FF
OK, looking through this, if i do a git checkout -m, then a git pull, would this solve the problem?
I did it, it gave a list of the files i had changed, but then there hasn't been an auriga update, so i didn't see it pull any files either.
It's nice to see a guide on the Git GUI version as well.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AEON] HOW-TO download/install/update/test Aeon from its Git repository2