Only Stereo Sound on AC3/DTS pass-through via SPDIF
The problem I'm trying to solve is that I only get stereo sound from my receiver when playing DTS/DD encoded videos through XBMC.

My hardware and software configuration:
  • Vista Ultimate x64
  • Intel DG45ID
  • On-board Intel X4500HD Graphics Card w/ HDMI connection to flat screen
  • On-board Intel HD Audio using IDT 92HD73E audio codec w/ optical S/PDIF connection to receiver
  • Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX Receiver
  • FFDShow 64-bit rev2954 build 20090519
  • XBMC 9.04 for Windows

I have looked through the following threads for ideas on how to resolve this issue:

So far, I've confirmed that these items are not the cause:
  • Receiver supports DTS & DD
  • Downmix multiple channels to stereo is not checked
  • Digital audio is selected in the settings, along with DTS and DD support
  • All audio devices, except for the Toslink are disabled. (HDMI is disabled.)
  • Successfully configured the Toslink device in Control Panel/Sound to 5.1, and subsequently ran the test and had it output to all speakers

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Thanks.
I don't have one, but Phi probably will. I recommend turning on the debug log, trying to play 5.1 sound, then posting that log using pastebin.com
Goto audio options when actually running a movie - does it list the audio track being used and is digital selected there?
And the receiver says that it is not receiving a digital signal?
Have you checked to make sure the receiver itself is setup right? (e.g. when connected to a regular DVD player)

I have a pioneer receiver too and know that it is possible to turn off DD/DTS so I'd make sure that that is on (obvious I know, just trying to rule out possibilities)

Does it work fine when opening the videos in MPC-HC?
Thanks for the response guys. I had run a DD Movie in MPC-HC, but never tried DTS prior to now - all I get is static. I'm going to figure out how to run everything successfully in Windows prior to bothering you guys any further about XBMC. Smile
One thing you could try if you already haven't is this:

Check to see what sample rate your audio card is sending out audio at.
Most default to 44.100kHz. If this is the case, you will not get DTS,DD to work and you will just get stereo.

You need to ensure your audio card is sending audio at a sample rate of at least 48000kHz if you want DTS/DD to be picked up by your receiver.
And did you setup FFDShow? (beyond just installing it)

The first tab has a little checkbox for "use spdif"; without that checked, audio would still go out the spdif but it was hit or miss whether or not the proper signal would get picked up.
Okay. Got everything up and running. For those of you in the future who stumble on this thread, in addition to all the above mentioned items by myself and everyone else, I also did the following:

I installed these applications in addition to FFDShow x64
1) AC3Filter
2) Haali media splitter

Configured the Windows Control Panel / Sound
1) Only SPDIF-out is enabled:
2) Both DTS and DD formats, as well as the supported frequencies for the receiver, are selected:
3) System Effects are disabled:
4) Default format of 2 channel DVD quality output is selected:

Configured AC3Filter
1) AC3 Filter is configured to output through SPDIF:

After all of these steps, I was able to go to the Vista Sound Control Panel, step 2, and do a test of both DTS and DD5.1 with my receiver showing that it was receiving their streams. Went into XBMC and successfully tested both DTS and DD5.1 encoded videos.
Question 
Hello all,

I have been using XBMC for a few months now with only some minor glitches but I have encountered one that has thrown me for a loop. I have searched around the forums but have not found exactly what my problem is.

I have an Intel DG45ID board, XPMC, K-Lite Mega Codec and AC3 Filter installed. I have SPDIF pass thru set in AC3 and XBMC to use Digital, Dolby DTS. I downloaded and installed the most recent xbmc yesterday. (I'm at work and I didn't think I would end up here, otherwise I would have this info! Rolleyes)

I have recently encountered a movie that outputs only the front left and right channels. (not down mixed) I need to double check the encoding so I'll hold off on posting that. The weird thing is that it works fine if I play it using Zoom Player or Media Player Classic.

I thought that this might be a bug of some kind in xbmc so I thought I would post about it.

Any ideas? Bug? or Analog User? Big Grin
It's probably encoded in AAC or something that isn't AC3/DTS. You probably have FFDshow setup to transcode formats that can't be bitstreamed over toslink into AC3. XBMC will not do this for you currently.
As far as i know XBMC does not use external filters such as AC3filter.

I have tried to play DTS wav files using XBMC for windows....i only get stereo sound.

Does anybody have any other info...or success playing DTS music with XBMC.

running Vista 64 and new version of XBMC
spidertnt Wrote:As far as i know XBMC does not use external filters such as AC3filter.

I have tried to play DTS wav files using XBMC for windows....i only get stereo sound.

Does anybody have any other info...or success playing DTS music with XBMC.

running Vista 64 and new version of XBMC

I actually just downloaded an album in DTS format today, and tried to play it in XBMC. Just navigating to the file and playing it only produced stereo sound. Once I took the suggestion above to use DVDPlayer it played just fine and through all channels. Is there a way in XBMC to automatically use DVDPlayer when it sees a .dts file and the regular player for FLAC and MP3?
agentgreen Wrote:I actually just downloaded an album in DTS format today, and tried to play it in XBMC. Just navigating to the file and playing it only produced stereo sound. Once I took the suggestion above to use DVDPlayer it played just fine and through all channels. Is there a way in XBMC to automatically use DVDPlayer when it sees a .dts file and the regular player for FLAC and MP3?

You need to define a playercorefactory.xml file (if you are on a new enough revision).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback

Something like:
<playercorefactory>
<rules>
<rule filetype="dts" player="dvdplayer" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
Yup, found this after I posted.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only Stereo Sound on AC3/DTS pass-through via SPDIF0