Refresh Rate incorrectly detected (Powerstrip)
Hi all

I'm having trouble with the refresh rate being detected incorrectly. (Version doesn't matter but I'm using 20552.)

Only the "Windows" desktop resolution of 1920x1080 at 75hz is detected as the "Fullscreen" resolution.

When in actual fact the monitor is running 71.928hz, via Powerstrip.

I've tested it on G31 Intel onboard graphics, and an ATi HD2600XT, same result.

Detecting at 75hz makes all the SVN smooth playback features useless for 23.976fps material, which is very frustrating.

23.796fps does not go into the available windows refresh rates of 60, 75, or 85hz, so I need to run a multiple of 23.976, such as 71.928hz.
Powerstrip is the only way I know how to do this (not a Nvidia card).

But the custom refresh rate (verified by monitor) is not detected, putting me back at square one.

I am wondering if anyone knows a work around, or an alternative way of creating a custom refresh rate that will be detected correctly by XBMC?

The SVN changes for smooth playback seem to be awesome (similar to both Reclock and Gothplayer, but embedded)...but I can't use them on a PC with a multisync PC monitor. (Reclock does detect these refresh rates correctly.)

Help!

Mark
Is the monitor connected to vga?
Yes it is connected via VGA.
You can usually force the output to 72 hertz, windows has a couple places where you can set it.

Another option is to add it to the windows registry (google it).
Thanks, I'm looking into forcing it through windows.

Is there some reason it doesn't detect the Powerstrip custom timing?

That's pretty fundamental for a HTPC, many are using Powerstrip for custom timings (all my CRT projector buddies with HTPC's sure are!).

Mark
Hi Mark. I had similar problems and I "solved" them by removing the pin responsible for communicating the monitor's EDID to the graphic card. You can do it on the cable, it should be a cheap try anyway.

http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connect...abling_DDC

You should remove pin #12
I could do that Ashlar.

But I don't think it will help me in the long run- it might while I'm still testing on CRT monitor.

I was planning to connect this HTPC to a 1080i CRT TV with VGA in at 1080i 71.928hz. The TV runs this res fine, it goes into "PC" mode.

The only way to do this is via a custom resolution, and the only way to get that for an ATi card is Powerstrip. There is a custom res utility for Intel graphics too - I will try that tonight.

My main problem is XBMC ignores Powerstrip Sad
Bump..

Should I submit a debug log?

Is ignoring the Powerstrip Custom Timing a bug or intended behaviour?

Help...
Mark_A_W Wrote:Bump..

Should I submit a debug log?

Is ignoring the Powerstrip Custom Timing a bug or intended behaviour?

Help...

It's really a Powerstrip bug, it does not provide the custom timing in a way that XBMC can access.
Thanks.

I found a work-around, at least for the G31 Intel onboard video.

DTDCalculator. Unlike Powerstrip, it inserts the resolution into the windows res's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947830
Mark_A_W Wrote:I could do that Ashlar.
My main problem is XBMC ignores Powerstrip Sad

Nope, your main problem is powerstrip ignores windows.
Touche.

MPC-HC EVR Custom Renderer, and Reclock, both detect the Powerstrip resolution.

But I have a work-around, with DTDCalculator.
The only way around this is to measure the refreshrate, but that's a bit error prone.
My TV doesn't like the Intel VGA out...grrr.

Even with timings/sync polarities which work fine with an ATi card, there is no horizontal sync with the Intel video.

Back to square one.

I might try a cheapy Nvidia card and see if the Nvidia advanced timings are "seen" by XBMC.
Any reason you don't want to set the refreshrate to 60 hertz?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh Rate incorrectly detected (Powerstrip)1