Fresh Install of XBMC, "Video" option from Home Menu is Blank screen.
Hey all,

First post, but also my first problem. I would like to say thanks for the great product before I begin. I upgraded (For the first time) my XBMC, because I finally pulled my XBOX out of a closet after a move. Everything worked fine before, now, almost everything works fine. I am going to try to step by step through the Bug posting rules to make sure I get you guys the info you need. I am up for any suggestions, as I am quite new to this, and it really is past what I can think of to do at this point.

1. I am using the default skin for T3ch build XBMC 2009-05-09 9.04-Babylon. This problem was first noticed with XBMC 2009-05-21 SVN rev20439, but I then downgraded once I realized it was not the "stable" build.
2. I have tested both builds and found the same problem.
3. I do not remember what my previous build was, I believe it was probably built sometime in early 08. I can tell you there are quite a few differences between what I had, and what I have.
4. I do not have the option of testing other platforms for XBMC. I am typing on a laptop that is having it's own issues, and I do not wish to test with a system that works (For now at least).

Again, this happens in T3ch build XBMC 2009-05-09 9.04-Babylon. Please note, I experienced the issue with not a single default setting changed.

Fresh load, from the home menu, I can navigate through any menu without issue except the Video menu, from the home menu. Any time I select that link I get a black screen. I can hear the default noises as I move through the options in the menu, still with a black screen. When Debug mode is on, the info bar remains, with a black screen. I can also click the white button and get the settings option, while still starting at the rest of the black screen.

I started off running in 16:9 1080i (Auto) mode. Then turned off 1080i, then turned off 720p, then went to 4:3 480p. I have since tried each available setting with no change except for relative free memory. (Lots of free mem on the info bar when at very low res).

That is pretty much it. The debug should be attached.

Thanks for your help.

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/m1ab0d8e4
Debug log old: http://pastebin.com/m325d914f
Here is a quick screenshot of my issue.
First off, I'd like to congratulate you on one of the best ever first posts I've ever seen. You've done the debug log correctly and used pastebin and everything!

In the first debug log when you try to open the Videos section where yours says:

Code:
DEBUG: Checking if window ID 10024 is locked.
INFO: Attempting to default to:
ERROR: SQLite: SQL error or missing database

Mine says :
Code:
INFO: Loading skin file: MyVideoNav.xml

Two things come to mind. I noticed you said it was a "fresh install", but when you were prompted to mover your userdata, plugins, and scripts over did you choose to do so?
I know that if you're upgrading after it's been a long time, it's best to do a default install since the changes might be so dramatic that old userdata information can cause conflicts.

Secondly, have you tried the PM3.HD skin that comes with T3CH to see if that works correctly? I noticed in both logs you were using Project Mayhem III and was wondering if PM3.HD also threw up that error.

I just tested out the May 21 T3CH build on my Xbox using Project Mayhem III and can access the Videos section correctly. You could try to download the T3CH build again (or just ftp it to the xbox if you've still got it on your computer) and rename the folder to "XBMC May 21" or something other than XBMC.
****Keep your original XBMC folder intact and labeled that so that you continue to boot to XBMC and don't mess up your build****

Use only the userdata, plugin, and scripts folder from the T3CH build and use the File Manager to navigate to E:\Apps\XBMC May 21 and then select the default.xbe to load the completely fresh XBMC and see if you can load the Videos section that way. When you reboot or turn off the system, it'll still default to the XBMC folder.

I always keep an older build that worked pretty well (currently the january 25 build labeled "XBMC jan 25"), the latest stable T3CH build (XBMC may 9) and the latest or one of the latest SVN builds that has some changes to it or latest T3CH builds (XBMC may 21)

In my case, I'd load the default.xbe in the XBMC jan 25 build. I'd then go to file manager and rename the current XBMC to "XBMC date of build" and then the may 21 build, I'd rename to the default "XBMC" since you can't change the name of the folder of the build you are currently in at the time. I changed the other two folders to swap the "XBMC" with the latest build. You can also load up evox, unleashed, or some other dash as long as it's not the current XBMC folder. This may be irrelevant, but I figured I'd post it anyway in case you wanted to have multiple builds so you can fall back to a working one if you hit an error in the future.
nicoli_k Wrote:First off, I'd like to congratulate you on one of the best ever first posts I've ever seen.

Thanks. I may be new to the forum, but I am not hardly new to forums in general. I admin on a gaming focused one, and I always try to follow whatever rules have been laid down.

Quote:
Code:
ERROR: SQLite: SQL error or missing database

I did notice this looking through the log haha.

Quote:Two things come to mind. I noticed you said it was a "fresh install", but when you were prompted to mover your userdata, plugins, and scripts over did you choose to do so?

I knew better than to worry about settings. I did make a backup, but I wiped everything for the install.

Quote:Secondly, have you tried the PM3.HD skin that comes with T3CH to see if that works correctly?

I have not. I did notice the initial bug rules asking to use a specific skin, and I suppose now that if I check again that it isn't PM3. I must not have looked at is close enough. My next step will be to try that skin. (See bottom)

I will also look into that Jan build you mention as stable. Honestly, I don't need to live on the cutting edge here. Most of what I will be doing is fairly straghtforward. (Even though I was sad to see that the Hulu plugin doesnt work anymore). I have already decided after reading about it on Gizmodo and on here that I want one of those shiny NVIDIA Ion based systems when they come out. That will be replacing the XBOX for sure.

One last question. As I said, this is an old box. It was originally (soft) modded in 2004 or early 2005 while I was in Japan. I have old versions of Avalaunch, ExoX, and just a lot of crap in general. Is there possibly something in the file structure that would mess with this? Does XBMC look outside it's own install path and the Q drive for loading these menus? I can delete just about anything old, but I wouldn't want to mess with the TDATA and UDATA stuff without some direction.

***Edit*** Sure enough, the problem exists in the PM3.HD skin as well. ***
I've got a modified skin and have been updating my builds and importing my userdata for a while now, so I just loaded up a fresh version of the may 9 babylon T3CH to see if there was an issue with it. I was able to load the windows successfully:
http://pastebin.ca/1435683

I was unable to exactly replicate since my television only does 480p and 1080i, but since you said you've tried all available settings with no change, I doubt that is the problem.

The file that is loading for me, but not for you (MyVideo.xml) is located under Q:\skin\Project Mayhem III\PAL and mine looks like: http://pastebin.ca/1435685

You could try holding both thumbsticks down when booting up to reset the settings to default: (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Tro...nything.21) which isn't exactly your issue, but may help out.

You should check out to see if you've got: e:\tdata\0face008\settings.xml
It was suggested that it's safe to remove that folder: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=304723

On my xbox in that folder i've got nothing in it. I DO have stuff under E:\UDATA\0FACE008 though. (SaveImage.xbx, TitleImage.xbx, and TitleMeta.xbx).

It could also be hardware failure which would suck, or if it's not the stock hard drive and you've gone over the 256GB limit in a partition without the correct cluster size then any new data being written will become corrupt. I had this happen to me and had to reformat with the correct cluster size. I noticed that your XBMC installation is on the F drive. You could rule that out by trying to put it on your E: drive to see if it works there.

It's a lot of info, but hopefully one of the suggestions does it for you. The babylon stable build is really great, I only said I had the jan 25 build for renaming purposes since I need 3 to do it my archaic way. I'd be good if you do get the babylon build working since it's had some pretty major changes like using special:\\ folders that many of the plugins and scripts rely on.

good luck.
First off, thanks for your continued help.

nicoli_k Wrote:I was able to load the windows successfully.

Damn you! Wink

Quote:I was unable to exactly replicate since my television only does 480p and 1080i, but since you said you've tried all available settings with no change, I doubt that is the problem.

I agree.

Quote:The file that is loading for me, but not for you (MyVideo.xml) is located under Q:\skin\Project Mayhem III\PAL and mine looks like: http://pastebin.ca/1435685

I loaded that file onto my PC, copied your file onto it and saved, and put it back on the box. No dice. I don't think the data or the file was corrupt or wrong. I did try to edit permissions to the file (Which didn't fly, of course).

What does "DEBUG: Checking if window ID 10024 is locked." do? Are we talking permissions? Doesnt really sound like it. I am a computer tech (CISCO mainly) but not a programmer. That is why I am in over my head here.

Then we have:
"INFO: Attempting to default to:
ERROR: SQLite: SQL error or missing database." But the data seems right. Kinda has to be after I copied your file onto mine doesn't it?

Quote:You could try holding both thumbsticks down when booting up to reset the settings to default:

I didn't know you could do that. Tried it, no dice. Huh

Quote:You should check out to see if you've got: e:\tdata\0face008\settings.xml

Checked the folder, it was empty. Deleted it. No change.

Quote:On my xbox in that folder i've got nothing in it. I DO have stuff under E:\UDATA\0FACE008 though. (SaveImage.xbx, TitleImage.xbx, and TitleMeta.xbx).

I have TitleImage.xbx, and TitleMeta.xbx in my UDATA folder, but not the SaveImage.xbx

Quote:It could also be hardware failure which would suck, or if it's not the stock hard drive and you've gone over the 256GB limit in a partition without the correct cluster size then any new data being written will become corrupt.

I am only running a 200GB HD.

I did copy a new one onto the E drive. Still the same problem Huh Huh

I am going to redownload the build, and then slowly comb through the box, deleting anything I think can go, then reload. Hopefully I don't get too crazy with it, but I am reasonably certain I can figure out what to touch and what not to. I don't see a reason to keep all those other dashes (Except the Avalaunch, because it works no matter how simple and is very small.) Maybe I will get lucky. I don't know. Quite frustrating to have so many suggestions thrown out and not a one be the issue. Much thanks for the help.
Alrighty.

First off, I have not installed a new version of the Babylon code yet. I noticed something last night that precluded me doing so.

I tried (again) to reset the settings on the box, holding down both thumbsticks while booting. It worked.

So I immediately choose Videos from the Home Screen, and voila! it works just fine. Then I back out, then go back in.

Blank Screen.

Why did it work once? I have no clue.

So I reboot, reset, and it works again. Still, only once. Anytime I leave the screen that first time, it won't work a second time.

So I reboot, turn on Debug, Go to Videos, add a source, and try to play a video. No dice. Try several others, also, no dice. Leave the menu, go back to it, Blank Screen.

I have no clue what is really going on here. I have attached the debug from that last session into pastebin for anyone who wants to look at it.

http://pastebin.com/m46325e3
the thing that sticks out to me is:

Code:
ERROR: SQLite: Insertion failed because database is full

and after searching that error across the forums, I found this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28010) which suggests:
jmarshall Wrote:You need to remove Userdata/database/MyVideo*.db

I also ran across this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40713) and his problem was that he ran out of space on the drive he had XBMC installed on, but since you've tried it on E: and F: it's likely not a space issue. How much free space do you have on the different drives?

Deleting the various .db files under userdata/database also worked for this guy that had the same error: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24182

This sounds the most similar to your problem: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29099

and he solved it by FTPing XBMC over again.

at least you're getting some progress. Hopefully one of these does the trick.
Code:
ERROR: SQLite: Insertion failed because database is full

Interesting. I see.

and after searching that error across the forums, I found this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28010) which suggests:

Quote:his problem was that he ran out of space on the drive he had XBMC installed on

I have 3.8 GB on E:
I have 28.7 GB on F:

Quote:Deleting the various .db files under userdata/database also worked for this guy that had the same error:

Deleted them all. I had:

MyMusic7.db Size: 46KB
MyVideos34.db Size: 0KB (See Below)
ViewModes.db Size: 80KB

Also, I think it is time to FTP again. I will do that as well.

MyVideos34.db will not allow me to delete it. It stays no matter if I try via FTP or in the actual XBOX. Once again, it's size is 0.0KB
Can you delete MyVideos34.db if you load into a different dash? It might be in use, or XBMC might be trying to access it while running XBMC.
Good call. It let me delete it.

I didn't even consider that haha. My brain must be melting.
You should be able to delete it via ftp while on on the homescreen (no in a video related section of xbmc).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I got it deleted with no effect. Still just a blank screen.

Then, since I am such a genius I managed to screw it all up. I won't even go into details (embarrassed).

I can fix it, I just need to. I will post when I reload and see if a (fresh) fresh install will work.
Has anybody found a fix?

Thanks,

Yveke.
I'm in the same boat as RSDeuce. I pulled my Xbox out of the closet yesterday, downloaded the T3CH 9.04.1 FIXED and followed the clean install guide from xbmc. Everthing works fine, EXCEPT the Video tab. I get the same blank screen RSDeuce posted...

I've tried previous builds and other releases with the same results. I'm interested in getting this issue resolved too.

btw - my most recent install that worked correctly was from 2007-12-22 v11071.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fresh Install of XBMC, "Video" option from Home Menu is Blank screen.0