HOW-TO to configure XBMC for Linux (and XBMC Live) settings for Acer Revo (Ion)
Thumbs Up 
Hello people,

i tried XBMC Live and WIN7 with XBMC. Here my results:

With XBMC Live it is very easy and the best way:

This Configuration is for surround over HDMI

You should only:

in Settings-> Audio-> Turn On Digital
in Settings-> Audio-> Passthrough output device: "hdmi"
Add: in Settings-> Audio-> Audio Device "hdmi"
in Settings-> Audio-> Downmix mutichannel audio to stereo: turned off

in Setting-> Video-> Play-> Render to VDPAU

Crossfading does not work at this moment...

Thats all, you can now play 1080p 720p and anything else without jumps or linke this!!
Very good to know. Thank you for this.

-Ash-
How is the performance with Windows 7, have you run any 1080p content on it yet?

Thanks
There's no chance of an atom n330 playing 1080p in SW. You *need* HW decoding acceleration, which is only available in XBMC for linux through nvidia's VDPAU framework for now.
I'm on the Zotac version of the ION platform (IONITX-B-E, ION N230) @ XBMCLive 9.04.1, and can confirm it works like this for me to, but I'm having lots of other issues with the ION platform.

@nauen
Does auto refresh rate work for you and if it does, what tv/receiver/projector are you connected to ?
JUICESIX90 Wrote:How is the performance with Windows 7, have you run any 1080p content on it yet?

Thanks

i write it here Smile

1080p with Win7

Quote:Does auto refresh rate work for you and if it does, what tv/receiver/projector are you connected to ?
i take a look today
Thumbs Up 
I can agree on a How-To XBMC thread for the Acer Revo or the Ion platform in general. The tips from nauen are helpful, but there's still some stuttering/buffering problems we need to sort out (see other threads). switching to 512MB GPU RAM in the BIOS did NOT help. In fact, I would go so far as to ask for an Ion-optimized XBMC Live distribution.

as for the BIOS: Acer have 2 new BIOS versions on their international support site (R01.A1 and A2), DO NOT install them as your HDMI audio will be broken afterwards.

add.: I just checked, they removed these faulty BIOS versions Cool
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:as for the BIOS: Acer have 2 new BIOS versions on their international support site (R01.A1 and A2), DO NOT install them as your HDMI audio will be broken afterwards.

add.: I just checked, they removed these faulty BIOS versions Cool

THANK YOU! was just about to update as well Big Grin
thecheekymonkey Wrote:THANK YOU! was just about to update as well Big Grin

well, I have to add: in the meantime, Acer re-posted the fixed R01.A1 in two versions, for the Linux and the windows Revo. inside the zip file you can see that it's actually the P06 BIOS revision, and at least the windows version of the BIOS worked for me, i.e. some minor changes but HDMI audio still working.
I wouldn't suggest flashing the BIOS of the linux version as it seems to be customized for SSD and splashtop OS booting.

one final note: for the Revo, also make sure to assign 512MB RAM in the BIOS for the GPU and check if XBMC/the nvidia driver is actually using the 512MB VRAM, else you will have buffering/stuttering issues Oo
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Thumbs Up 
ok so after a night of playing with the new toy, i thought id post a few tips when setting these babys up, simple tips, but being a novice at linux and having searched all night, i may as well add them for people soing the same, may save a few hours.

1. For whatever reason User interface sounds donot work on the acer revo through HDMI, i spent a good while thinking i had no audio output until i tried a video and audio works, just no menu sounds.

I did have to change a couple of settings though.

settings > system > audio hardware >

analog
audio output = "hdmi"
downmix multichannel audio to stereo = enabled

this is for bog standard audio, change anything else you need for your setup.

2. updating the drivers for nvidia ion chipset, followed this tipbit

medicineuk Wrote:* Update XBMC Live 9.04.01 Nvidia driver - thanks l.capriotti

Get hold of some ISO editing software (on Windows use MagicISO)

Download the newer Nvidia driver package from here.

Load the XBMC Live 9.04.01 ISO into your ISO editor and replace the restrictedDrivers.nvidia.img with the one you downloaded.

Save the ISO to a new file and burn to CD.

When you install XBMC Live you will have the newer driver installed.

Alternatively extract XBMC Live iso to USB drive then replace nvidia driver with newer version and boot from USB drive to install (didn't work for me though maybe down to software issue on my end)

Tested on my unit and it now reads Ion GPU instead of unknown.

but used the drive from here

l.capriotti Wrote:I have uploaded to SF a new file containing the latest beta drivers from NVIDIA, 185.18.14, packaged for XBMC Live 9.04 and 9.04.1.

Unzip the archive and replace the file on your XBMC Live flash drive (or HDD install if you chose "removable mode").

I would backup the file ext3fs.img before booting with the new file, just to be on the safe side... Nod

Keep me posted.

i did the manual install but it resulted in system crash, used the above method and worked perfectly.

got my xbox 1 remote working easily follwing this guide (wrote by OP but edited slightly by me)

deezee69 Wrote:To get the xbox dongle and remote working on your computer under XBMC LIve you first need to get a xbox to usb adapter or make it yourself .

Why you ask?Oo money is my answerNod Mce remote are about $50-$60AU but xbox Remotes are $20-$30AU. Its all about the money

I did this thru windows

Steps needed to get it all to work after you’ve connected it to the computer.

1. Download Putty (freeware)
2. Get root access
3. Setup files

STEP 1

Download Putty (freeware)
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/late.../putty.exe

STEP 2

1- Open Putty (freeware)
2- type in the field "Hostname (or IP adress)" the IP of your xbmc then press open
3- it will ask you for name type: xbmc
4- then the actual password type: xbmc
then press enter (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in
6- Now type: sudo passwd root
7- Follow the instructions

Enter old password then new one

Your all done

STEP 3

First off some vim commands to understand what your doing

w Write (Save)
q Quit (Close)
wq Write and Quit. (Save and Close)
q! Force Quit (Close without saving changes)

To get started

1- Open Putty (freeware)
2- type in the field "Hostname (or IP adress)" the IP of your xbmc then press open
3- it will ask you for name type: root
4- then the NEW password (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in

type: sudo vim /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
press i

copy and paste ( if there is anything in the file delete everything then paste):

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER=""
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
# automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES="lirc_atiusb lirc_dev lirc_i2c"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
LIRCMD_CONF=""
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

now typeConfusedudo vim /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
press i

copy and paste ( if there is anything in the file delete everything then paste):

#
# LIRCD configuration file for Xbox DVD Kit
#
# Marko Friedemann <mfr|bmx-chemnitz.de>
#
#
# brand: Microsoft
# model: Xbox DVD Remote
# supported devices: Xbox DVD Remote via xpad-ir driver
#
# comment: EXPERIMENTAL
#

begin remote

name XboxDVDDongle
bits 8

begin codes

SELECT 0x0b
UP 0xa6
DOWN 0xa7
RIGHT 0xa8
LEFT 0xa9
INFO 0xc3

9 0xc6
8 0xc7
7 0xc8
6 0xc9
5 0xca
4 0xcb
3 0xcc
2 0xcd
1 0xce
0 0xcf

DISPLAY 0xd5
BACK 0xd8
SKIP- 0xdd
SKIP+ 0xdf
STOP 0xe0
REVERSE 0xe2
FORWARD 0xe3
TITLE 0xe5
PAUSE 0xe6
PLAY 0xea
MENU 0xf7

end codes

end remote

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

Now you need to remove Xpad

type: sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

(NOTE do not delete anything in this file just add)

press i then press down arrow until you reach the end of the writing.

now type:blacklist xpad

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

Close down Putty restard you xbmc system

All done should workLaugh

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

one problem i do have is that i cannott browse any SMB shares, when adding a network location, it just will not let me browse my workgroup (nothing shows up).

i have to create an smb shortcut manually (SMB://MONKEY/SLAVE (D)/VIDEOS/ ), i.e. type out the smb address in the link, after which is works fine, but i still cant browse, anyone have a solution?

cheers
mount it locally, should speed up the entire smb handling as well.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:mount it locally, should speed up the entire smb handling as well.

sorry to be a complete novice but how do i do that?

I have to google everything that i want to do in linux lol.

cheers
vdrfan Wrote:mount it locally, should speed up the entire smb handling as well.

are smbfs/smbclient and the corresponding kernel modules part of XBMC live? I'm also interested in mounting my Buffalo NAS shares locally (but browsing and adding via XBMC works for me)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Anyone got their wireless connection working with Live & Revo?
Hi all,

I posted this as part of another thread a week or so back but got sidetracked on the bigger issue.

Whenever I try to play a movie with AC3 or DTS I just get jitter through my speakers. I have my Acer Revo hooked up to my 32" 'nothing special' Philips TV via HDMI and my settings are as follows:

Digital
On
On
hdmi
hdmi
Off

Any help is appreciated.

Pastebin of log: http://pastebin.com/m2dd58b4f

Thanks,

Pete

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO to configure XBMC for Linux (and XBMC Live) settings for Acer Revo (Ion)1