Aeon on NVIDIA Ion graphics and Atom CPU hardware at 1080p native skin resolution?
Wow, thats interesting to hear that you are having no issues with Windows 7 + Aeon on an Ion/Atom.

I'm now half tempted to give it a shot but I have a feeling it will struggle during 1080P MKV playback. Linux seems to be the safer option at this point.
I've had my zotac 330 running for 3 weeks now using Black's aeon mod (basically aeon, just darker) not light, full graphics and it runs flawlessly, though coverflow is a little laggy, and by that i mean maybe 2 fps slower than regular mode, barely perceptable. Everything plays great, i couldn't be happier!
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
noodles Wrote:Yesterday I've set up aeon under win7 and it runs great in 1080p ond my zotac ion htpc (3.25gb ram, 1tb hdd).

Edit: Well, I think I might have to correct my previous statement:

Although xbmc aeon itself runs quite smooth, the playback of video files doesn't. But I guess it's a matter of configuring the codec stuff etc. because even the standard definition files look somewhat bad. HD files do run ok, but the picture quality is bad.

I need to figure out how to configure the codecs, i'm new to all this Smile
NO chance of playing HD on Windows (Without external player). It´s XBMC does not support GPU for Video in windows.
hey guys

I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 yesterday. Now everythings fine. Even the playback of 1080p material. (->VDPAU, CPU never went over 15%) Smile

There sometimes are some little hitches right after you fast-forward but it is no problem at all.
>>X<<' Wrote:You don't need to worry about 1080p with VDPAU enabled your CPU will hardly do anything

Even single core acer revo does 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGPcwzq_QI

Check out the CPU usage in the first one

I have the Revo modded with 4GB ram & SSD disk & i guarantee you that it will laaaaaaaaaaaag like crazy "not" in playing movies but in moving around in xbmc using the Aeon skin.

After 3 weeks of testing with different Bioses, all windows (XP,Vista,Win7) & a bunch of linux distros, i have stuck it in the closet & will never look back.

What most hardware review sites "FAIL" to mention or even test is that 2D is UN satisfactory, yes it will decode HD movies since that offloads the CPU but with its slow single core & low 2D clocks its going to crawl.

If you are buying an ION then stay the hell away from Acer-Revo.
Linux does a little better but still not up to par, even a built in intel GPU will run 2D much much smoother.

You have been warned.
Naser Wrote:I have the Revo modded with 4GB ram & SSD disk & i guarantee you that it will laaaaaaaaaaaag like crazy "not" in playing movies but in moving around in xbmc using the Aeon skin.

After 3 weeks of testing with different Bioses, all windows (XP,Vista,Win7) & a bunch of linux distros, i have stuck it in the closet & will never look back.

What most hardware review sites "FAIL" to mention or even test is that 2D is UN satisfactory, yes it will decode HD movies since that offloads the CPU but with its slow single core & low 2D clocks its going to crawl.

If you are buying an ION then stay the hell away from Acer-Revo.
Linux does a little better but still not up to par, even a built in intel GPU will run 2D much much smoother.

You have been warned.

Did you really think a single core 1.60 GHz processor would handle Aeon properly ?

Few minutes reading on here would have answered that question
>>X<<' Wrote:Did you really think a single core 1.60 GHz processor would handle Aeon properly ?

Few minutes reading on here would have answered that question

My dear friend, it seems that reading your 1st post failed to mention that & instead said that even the single core revo will run 1080p.

Lets not get off topic, i just wanted to advise users who are going to buy an ION machine to stay away from Revo.

Overclocking the 2D graphic chip will help a bit.
Naser Wrote:My dear friend, it seems that reading your 1st post failed to mention that & instead said that even the single core revo will run 1080p.

Lets not get off topic, i just wanted to advise users who are going to buy an ION machine to stay away from Revo.

Overclocking the 2D graphic chip will help a bit.

You've already gone off topic because the discussion was about the Zotac Laugh

This topic was started about the Zotac ION which has an Atom 330 dual core I said in reference to that it will not have a problem with 1080p with VDPAU enabled even an acer with a single core can handle 1080p with VDPAU, I did not mention anything about GUI or skins and I was talking about the Zotac using acer as an example

Maybe you should read all posts because if you look at post 2 he said his dual core E6420 3.2GHz has 50% CPU using Aeon so how did you think an acer with 1.6GHz would work did you even check XBMC minimum speck ?

Fair enough you want to warn people but don't expect me not to reply when you quote me out of context

Maybe you should have asked first can the acer revo run Aeon and saved yourself a 3 week headache Oo
Naser Wrote:I have the Revo modded with 4GB ram & SSD disk & i guarantee you that it will laaaaaaaaaaaag like crazy "not" in playing movies but in moving around in xbmc using the Aeon skin.
Out of interest - what SSD were you using ?
If it's the 8Gb mini PCIe thing that the early machines shipped with then that might be your core issue. It's the same dog slow piece of crap that the early Eee boxes shipped with.

My Revo shipped with the 160Gb 2.5" SATA HD, and Aeon performance in skin navigation is pretty acceptable.
(I compared it to the Revo running XBMC Live from a reasonable speed USB stick, where UI performance was *horrible*, and my main desktop machine, 3Ghz C2D, GTS8800, with Raid0 "real" OCZ Agility SSDs on Windows 7 where Aeon was utterly smooth)

The Revo with HDD was only a little more laggy than the Win7 desktop, certainly not "crazy" slow.

My next test is to take one of the OCZ SSDs and stick it in the Revo to see, once and for all, whether storage I/O or CPU is the major bottleneck.
kurai Wrote:Out of interest - what SSD were you using ?
If it's the 8Gb mini PCIe thing that the early machines shipped with then that might be your core issue. It's the same dog slow piece of crap that the early Eee boxes shipped with.

My Revo shipped with the 160Gb 2.5" SATA HD, and Aeon performance in skin navigation is pretty acceptable.
(I compared it to the Revo running XBMC Live from a reasonable speed USB stick, where UI performance was *horrible*, and my main desktop machine, 3Ghz C2D, GTS8800, with Raid0 "real" OCZ Agility SSDs on Windows 7 where Aeon was utterly smooth)

The Revo with HDD was only a little more laggy than the Win7 desktop, certainly not "crazy" slow.

My next test is to take one of the OCZ SSDs and stick it in the Revo to see, once and for all, whether storage I/O or CPU is the major bottleneck.

Hi Kurai,

I bought mine in the Middle east region (Dubai), it came with 2GB of ram & a 320-360GB hard disk, i also did try it with the hard disk but it just seemed slow to me in 2D desktop. I used the Imation M-Class SSD http://www.imation.com/en/Imation-Produc...te-Drives/.

Maybe its my luck with this Revo but im not even comparing it to my everyday desktop machine thats a havely modded but i did compare it to my laptop that comes with the same graphic gpu 9400M & also to a shuttle with built in Intel gpu & those were much more responsive, beleive me i know a lot about hardware & i understand that a cpu will play a role but gpu makes a huge diffrence too in desktop, try overclocking your "2D" clocks on that 8800 & you will notice improvments in desktop.
Undoubtedly true, hence why I added the proviso "major" when talking about bottlenecking - I'm sure poor 2D hardware will have an effect as well as raw I/O & CPU grunt Smile

Rather than break my desktop Raid0 config and spend ages backing up and restoring it afterwards I set up a Ramdisk on the Revo, and ran my XBMC install from that instead.

Aeon performance was a little better than from the 2.5" HDD, but not perfection, like the desktop machine.

It looks like the I/O speed from storage is almost at the point of no further benefit when increased - going from USB to HDD was very noticeable, HDD to ramdisk not so much - so I don't think I'll bother putting in a proper SATA SSD to replace the 5400rpm HD.
Any further performance is going to have to come from CPU & GPU.

As far as clocking the Revo - I don't think I'll bother with that either. It runs very hot even at stock speeds, and I don't really want to fry it for the sake of a bit smoother Aeon UI Nerd

I guess I am prepared to live with the thing being a little laggy compared to an ultimate hardware rig, considering the price of the Revo (and the fact I mostly stay with Ronie's Transparency skin rather than Aeon/Hitcher/Showmix).
To me the smootheness difference isn't worth the extra hassle. You must have a bigger perfectionist streak than me :p
Interesting. What I read when I was researching ION was the xbmc live would only hit storage doing database updates etc., and booting. Navigating menu's etc. would only ever hit the RAM. So I used a USB stick instead of a HDD.

Aeon is a little slow, but I can live with it. But now you've got me thinking about the difference between a USB stick and a HDD, and I think I'll have to find out myself.
Naser Wrote:Hi Kurai,

I bought mine in the Middle east region (Dubai), it came with 2GB of ram & a 320-360GB hard disk, i also did try it with the hard disk but it just seemed slow to me in 2D desktop. I used the Imation M-Class SSD http://www.imation.com/en/Imation-Produc...te-Drives/.

Maybe its my luck with this Revo but im not even comparing it to my everyday desktop machine thats a havely modded but i did compare it to my laptop that comes with the same graphic gpu 9400M & also to a shuttle with built in Intel gpu & those were much more responsive, beleive me i know a lot about hardware & i understand that a cpu will play a role but gpu makes a huge diffrence too in desktop, try overclocking your "2D" clocks on that 8800 & you will notice improvments in desktop.

doh!!

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Revo for their HDTV upstairs... I've never heard such a negative review before, and espeically since you modded the ram to 4gb and everything.. now you scared me away from buying it Sad

damn it, why does this youtube video show it being so good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

that certainly looks acceptable to me!
If you are only using the box as an HTPC rather than a general desktop PC too, then the ram doesn't really help anything.

Of the 1.5Gb available in my 2Gb machine after assigning 512Mb to video ram I generally have 1.2/1.3Gb free, even running a fully fanart tooled up Aeon + mod Smile

The problems Naser was talking about do show up in that video.
HD playback is perfectly fine - that's not the issue - it's the delay filling in graphic elements as you navigate around in the UI. It does seem particularly bad in that Youtube example for some reason.

It's only after you see Aeon in action, perfectly smooth, on a high spec desktop PC that the comparison becomes telling.

I guess it's all down to a matter of differing expectations - for me the Revo performance is certainly acceptable for a £150 solution Smile
locust Wrote:damn it, why does this youtube video show it being so good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

that certainly looks acceptable to me!
For a start he's scrolling very slowly, and he's not using a view with an info panel, plus he's also not using any meta data.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon on NVIDIA Ion graphics and Atom CPU hardware at 1080p native skin resolution?1