Installing latest SVN build on Apple TV.
phirstube Wrote:I am not sure on how to edit posts....sorry for the double post here. When I try to run the script now I am getting this error.

-bash-2.05b$ ./xbmc-9.04_update.sh XBMC.dmg
Installing from diskimage XBMC.dmg
Password:
/dev/disk3 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk3s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk3s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/XBMC 2
rm: /Users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/XBMC/XBMC.app: No such file or directory
hdiutil: detach failed - No such file or directory
osx_gl_fullscreen present in advancedsettings.xml
chown: /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/Remote Buddy: No such file or directory
rm: /Users/frontrow/Movies/XBMC: No such file or directory

There was another XBMC.dmg already mounted, that's why it failed to copy XBMC.app from /Volumes/XBMC/
Other errors (chown, rm) are nothing to worry about, just legacy code. Your first install in the post above went fine.

cheers,
mdd

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
TheQuestor Wrote:Because my download counter expects all my archives to be in rar format. Just how I wrote it last year, and I have no real reason to change, at least not at the moment.

Thanks for clarification!
Did you think about providing something, so that your builds can be installed directly from the ATV?
few things are needed:
1) update_urls.plist describing your current (or last few builds). Here's an example
2) install script (might be fine to use Launcher's, if there was an unrar'd version, as there seems to be no unrar on ATV)
3) modification to
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Info.plist
for adding the new Info.plist (here)

Again, thanks for the builds!
cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
MaestroDD Wrote:Great. Maybe something to add to your build notes?

Any special reason you rar them? Doesn't seem to decrease size.

What would be needed to add to my build notes?
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
TheQuestor Wrote:What would be needed to add to my build notes?

Nothing needed. Just thought it might be a good idea to explicitly say those builds have 10.4 (and because of that, ATV) support.

cheers,
mdd

MaestroDD Wrote:Nothing needed. Just thought it might be a good idea to explicitly say those builds have 10.4 (and because of that, ATV) support.

cheers,
mdd

Oh. Yah I can do that Smile
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
MaestroDD Wrote:Thanks for clarification!
Did you think about providing something, so that your builds can be installed directly from the ATV?
few things are needed:
1) update_urls.plist describing your current (or last few builds). Here's an example
2) install script (might be fine to use Launcher's, if there was an unrar'd version, as there seems to be no unrar on ATV)
3) modification to
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Info.plist
for adding the new Info.plist (here)

Again, thanks for the builds!
cheers,
mdd

If you tell me how I would go about doing this, I don't see why not. Can I include this in my RSS feeds.
I'll hold off on the questions until I get some more info on how I go about doing this. Since I don't have a ATV/ITV I've never even heard of Info.plist so I am coming at this with 0 knowledge.

Craig
Hi TheQuestor,

TheQuestor Wrote:If you tell me how I would go about doing this, I don't see why not.

sure! Bit background information:
1) Launcher checks it's Info.plist (an xml file) for URLs where to fetch other xml files which hold information about currently available downloads
2) Those downloaded xml files are parsed and presented in a "Downloads" dialog
3) Hitting one of the downloads fetches a) a script, b) the download, c) checks md5 of that download and d) runs the script with the downloaded file as parameter

Stuff that needs to be done:
1) Users need to edit Launcher's Info.plist on their ATVs. Here's the relevant array which needs an additional entry pointing to your plist. (something like this)
2) The plist which would be hosted and modified by you, should look somehow like this, ofc with the $(....) adapted.

That's pretty much all.
If you've questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks for considering this and also thanks again for the builds!

cheers,
mdd

MaestroDD Wrote:Hi TheQuestor,

sure! Bit background information:
1) Launcher checks it's Info.plist (an xml file) for URLs where to fetch other xml files which hold information about currently available downloads
2) Those downloaded xml files are parsed and presented in a "Downloads" dialog
3) Hitting one of the downloads fetches a) a script, b) the download, c) checks md5 of that download and d) runs the script with the downloaded file as parameter

Stuff that needs to be done:
1) Users need to edit Launcher's Info.plist on their ATVs. Here's the relevant array which needs an additional entry pointing to your plist. (something like this)
2) The plist which would be hosted and modified by you, should look somehow like this, ofc with the $(....) adapted.

That's pretty much all.
If you've questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks for considering this and also thanks again for the builds!

cheers,
mdd

Question 1:
What goes here
<string>$(PATH_TO_YOUR_BUILT_DMG)</string>
do you mean

<string>$HOME/tools/packagemaker/dist/xbmc.dmg</string>
?

Question 2:
what goes here
<string>$(SOMETHING_LIKE_XBMC_rxxxxx)</string>

Do you mean

<string>$XBMC_OSX_r21082</string>

I can generate the md5 easy enough in my automated build
sh-3.2# md5 -q tools/packagemaker/dist/xbmc.dmg

which in this case would be
5faa62937dac8970eae09dff123e2761

But I would need help on how to pass these to the .plist

in my dos build I would just modify link to my build.bat

D:\xbmc-xbox\xbmc\MyBuild.bat 21082 5faa62937dac8970eae09dff123e2761

and in the bat

<key>MD5</key>
<string>$%2</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>$XBMC_OSX_r%1</string>

I don't know how to pass variables via sh

I think we need to chat on this because I'm very much willing to do this, but I need some knowledge on how to do it in OS X. If we can. IRC or MSM would be awesome.

Let me know.
Hey TheQuestor,

TheQuestor Wrote:Question 1:
What goes here
<string>$(PATH_TO_YOUR_BUILT_DMG)</string>

A URL to the dmg. This is where Launcher downloads the .dmg from.
something like

<string>http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/inc/EVA.asp?mode=NDLC&FN=OSX&BN=21082</string>

might work, but I'm pretty bad in url/http games, so we'd need to play with this Smile

TheQuestor Wrote:Question 2:
what goes here
<string>$(SOMETHING_LIKE_XBMC_rxxxxx)</string>

Do you mean

<string>$XBMC_OSX_r21082</string>
This is the text used in the downloads list in Launcher. Here's a (bit old) screenshot, so something like

<string>XBMC r21082</string>

might be good.

TheQuestor Wrote:[...]
But I would need help on how to pass these to the .plist

in my dos build I would just modify link to my build.bat

D:\xbmc-xbox\xbmc\MyBuild.bat 21082 5faa62937dac8970eae09dff123e2761

and in the bat

<key>MD5</key>
<string>$%2</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>$XBMC_OSX_r%1</string>

sh/bash is quite similar. Arguments are accessed with $0...$x. So your example would look like:
MyBuild.sh 21082 5faa62937dac8970eae09dff123e2761
and in the script

<key>MD5</key>
<string>$2</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>XBMC r$1</string>

tlpd.org has an excessive example about this.

TheQuestor Wrote:I think we need to chat on this because I'm very much willing to do this, but I need some knowledge on how to do it in OS X. If we can. IRC or MSM would be awesome.

Let me know.

Sure, I'm idling most of the time in #xbmc on irc.freenode.org.

Thanks a lot for looking into this. ATV is probably our worst tested platform in between releases and this might definitely help to keep up to the others.

cheers,
mdd

Looks like we have this working. Hope it helps you ATV/ITV peoples out there in the world.
TheQuestor Wrote:Looks like we have this working. Hope it helps you ATV/ITV peoples out there in the world.

No doubt this will be a much more efficient model. Can't wait to get access.
AppleTV 3.0.2, iMac 10.6.2, Launcher 3.2.4, (AppleTV Installed with Launcher), SVN: XBMC 9.11 (R26018).
@TheQuestor:
Do you plan to post the plist URL so we make make the appropriate changes to Launcher or an update?
Thanks for your efforts on this.
AppleTV 3.0.2, iMac 10.6.2, Launcher 3.2.4, (AppleTV Installed with Launcher), SVN: XBMC 9.11 (R26018).
Boseman Wrote:@TheQuestor:
Do you plan to post the plist URL so we make make the appropriate changes to Launcher or an update?
Thanks for your efforts on this.

Plist is there, just waiting on MaestroDD to release 3.1 and all will be good.
TheQuestor Wrote:Plist is there, just waiting on MaestroDD to release 3.1 and all will be good.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=356398

cheers,
mdd

MaestroDD Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=356398

cheers,
mdd

See now all is good Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing latest SVN build on Apple TV.0