What port are XBMC using for Samba?
Hi,

I'm running a server with Ubuntu, I have my storage on it and I'm using Samba to share it over the network and it works great.

I'm also using Ubuntu and XBMC on my desktop computer, but XBMC cant access (connection error) my Samba share unless I disable the firewall on my desktop computer.

I have tried to open the ports on my desktop computer that Samba uses:

UDP ports 137 and 138
TCP ports 139 and 445

That didnt work. What ports do I need to open up?
From memory samba uses 135 137 138 139 445 (a mixture of tcp and udp). This is generic linux question and not xbmc related. A quick google will help you more.
I have already tried those ports. Thanks anyway. Smile
hi Valpen,
Are you trying to access the samba share using XBMC (i.e. using xmc's server configuration) or it's already mounted at the boot time and trying access that share as a local drive from xbmc? cheers!!!
I'm trying to access the share using a "Windows network (SMB)" connection with XBMC.
You should open 137,138, 139 and 445, both tcp and udp.
This works 100%, my firestarter is configured like this and I have no problem
nikiiv Wrote:You should open 137,138, 139 and 445, both tcp and udp.
This works 100%, my firestarter is configured like this and I have no problem

I have tried that to. Sad
I assume your trying to mount a windows drive; can you mount the share on your system (forget about XBMC for a moment)? Try these command (if you haven't yet) and see what happens:

If smbfs not installed yet do this:
Code:
sudo aptitude install smbfs
then, try to mount the share locally (change xx.xx.xx.xx with the IP address of your Windows machine):
Code:
mkdir /tmp/test_drive
sudo mount -t cifs //xx.xx.xx.xx/sharename /tmp/test_drive -o username=winusername,password=winpassword,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
You may have to edit the /etc/nsswitch.conf and add mdns4 to the host line, so that it looks like:
Code:
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

Good luck!!!
I'm using Cifs to mount the shares on this computer, works perfect (with the firewall enabled to). XBMC dont.
Well, then why don't your mount the share at boot time (form /etc/fstab) and access that as local drive from XBMC? That's the way I did; mount the share from TimeCapsule and XBMC just sees it as a local drive.

On the other hand, directly accessing the network share using XBMC is pretty unstable and slow. I tried that before and seems to be a bad idea. cheers!!!
I'm already using fstab to automount them.

I cant add them in XBMC, the only thing that XBMC allowing me to access is my home folder, network share, SMB share and something more that I dont remember now.
yeah, that's right. Create a folder in your home directory and use that as the mount point. That's exactly what I did. Or even if you can't, then create a symbolic link. It's lot easier and faster then using the XBMC's buit-in server configuration. Cheers!!
Not an option for me. Smile
a symbolic link will do the job.........
That would work to but I would rather solve the problem instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What port are XBMC using for Samba?0