[APPLETV] Library problem on Apple TV
Hi guys,
Before i start, I would like to say kudos to the developers! great job with XBMC!!!!!

I do have a slight little issue though.
I've followed all the instructions to atvusb my ATV and installed xbmc.

I have a 1TB network drive that's recognized via upnp on xbmc and majority of my library is visible.

For some reason some movies are not seen. #-G more or less.
For example, I had 10 or so movies that were only numbers in the title and when I renamed them starting with "the" or the number in word format they showed up!
Is there anything I can do to have all my library recognized?

Thanks in advance

P
The movies that are not showing up go to imdb.com and rename them manually according to the way imdb names them , then run a library update from xbmc and it should pick them up.
i'll try it.
but 300 and 1941 are that way and they don't get picked up....
Are they all under that root or are they in sub folders? If in sub folders try a recursive scan.
they're in public/all videos
did the recursive....no change
looks like even thru file manager it gets 40 less files
What is your drive partitioned as?
it's a WD worldbook. just formatted osx journaled. that's it
i also downloaded xbmc for osx and ran it off my macbook. same thing. 40 less.
dunno, is there some sort of drive limitation on what xbmc can see? Maybe someone else will chime in.
This may be a late response, since the last post was a few months ago. I am new to XBMC, too. I have wanted to add it to my ATV for several months, and I just hadn't gotten around to it. I have some questions regarding the same thing, as so far I have to add each movie individually instead of being able to add an entire library. I am actually pulling my content from an actual video server, just to have an additional client and to do some testing.

Based on what I have tried so far (a whopping 1 day), how exactly is your folder substructure based? According to another thread I found, it seems that even a recursive scan can only see 2 folders deep. So for example, my hierarchy is as follows:

Media Drive F/Full Movies/Genre Name/Movie Name/Video TS/filename.iso.

Hopefully someone else will be able to add here, but thus far I have to go all the way down and add each "Movie Name" folder separately, and it sees only that movie. Since I have 600+ movies on my regular server, it is certainly a bit cumbersome to have to add each movie individually.

So far the app itself is really impressive. I look forward to keep digging into everything.
in answer to the original question:
make sure you have the scraper set to IMDB as well.. there are other scrapers but they might not have the title you are looking for... when it fails, check the website and see what the name should be.

for instance the movie 300
i placed it in a directory called "300 (2006)" and using the IMDB scraper..
never failed to find the correct movie.

another example.. the proposal
i placed it in a directory called "The Proposal (2009)" and using the IMDB scraper
it always fails as there is another short movie called The Proposal as well, and that's what it finds.. going into the info page and select a rerfresh and just manually selecting the correct movie solves that problem.

in recap.. always put the year behind the movie name, preferably use directories and check manualy when there is a mismatch.. it can be a pain in the rear sometimes, but every year there are like 5 or 6 movies called "Home", so don't expect miracles

there is no limitation on what xbmc can see.. i have four of the same WD drives tied up as a raid and it works perfect.. it's just how it sees the files.
in answer to the last question:
i think you answered your own question there.. if a recursive scan only goes 2 directories down then you're using too many steps in between..

there is also no need to put an iso file in a folder called VIDEO_TS

best practice is to keep things simple.. ie

/Full Movies/Movie Name/filename.iso
Let me clarify my question. I am using IMDB. I can't use the hierarchy that you suggest (see below). If I could have my file hierarchy as you would propose, and I scan the Full Movies folder, would it find and categorize EVERY movie with a single scan? What is the order? Do I click on the "Set Content", assign the proper radio boxes, and go? Right now I have added the entire Media Drive. I scroll to each movie folder, then I hit "Movie Information". It then scans that movie for the artwork for that single movie.

Is "Run Automated Scan" a one shot deal? Does that mean that it doesn't even prompt for fixing art, so if it messes up as in your examples, you have to go back and fix it manually, but it does scan the entire chosen folder? I think that would be okay. No movie ID service is perfect. Does XBMC have the ability to automatically add more movies as you add them, or do you have to rescan manually as you add them? In other words, let say I use another PC to rip and copy the ISO to a NAS. Would XBMC recognize that new content has been placed there and automatically add it along with artwork, etc?

You are right that I should not use the hierarchy that I have. Understand this is searching the media off of a real media server, so this is the file hierarchy it creates. I do want to know that if I do change the ripping process and use a file hierarch like you suggest, that the categorization process is painless.

Now please don't be offended my use of the term "real media server". I just mean it is not a homemade creation, it is an purchased appliance like a DVD player, so tweaking (for the most part) is unnecessary. Yes, the ATV is an appliance, but it was not engineered to do what XBMC is doing, it was hacked to do it. I do, however, see XBMC to have the ability to create an almost equal, and in some ways superior experience to this very expensive appliance. So far the interface appearance is incredible. I haven't done TV shows yet, but it looks like it may fix the problem I have harped on other companies for well over a year - categorize multiple seasons of a TV show with ONE cover art instead of like 36 (one for each DVD of each season times 9, for example). It offers IP control for high end control systems. And it seems to be supported by a rabid group of incredibly talented engineers and programmers. If only it could play uncompressed Blu_Ray ISO's.
Firestorm17 Wrote:Let me clarify my question. I am using IMDB. I can't use the hierarchy that you suggest (see below). If I could have my file hierarchy as you would propose, and I scan the Full Movies folder, would it find and categorize EVERY movie with a single scan? What is the order? Do I click on the "Set Content", assign the proper radio boxes, and go? Right now I have added the entire Media Drive. I scroll to each movie folder, then I hit "Movie Information". It then scans that movie for the artwork for that single movie.

Is "Run Automated Scan" a one shot deal? Does that mean that it doesn't even prompt for fixing art, so if it messes up as in your examples, you have to go back and fix it manually, but it does scan the entire chosen folder? I think that would be okay. No movie ID service is perfect. Does XBMC have the ability to automatically add more movies as you add them, or do you have to rescan manually as you add them? In other words, let say I use another PC to rip and copy the ISO to a NAS. Would XBMC recognize that new content has been placed there and automatically add it along with artwork, etc?

You are right that I should not use the hierarchy that I have. Understand this is searching the media off of a real media server, so this is the file hierarchy it creates. I do want to know that if I do change the ripping process and use a file hierarch like you suggest, that the categorization process is painless.

Now please don't be offended my use of the term "real media server". I just mean it is not a homemade creation, it is an purchased appliance like a DVD player, so tweaking (for the most part) is unnecessary. Yes, the ATV is an appliance, but it was not engineered to do what XBMC is doing, it was hacked to do it. I do, however, see XBMC to have the ability to create an almost equal, and in some ways superior experience to this very expensive appliance. So far the interface appearance is incredible. I haven't done TV shows yet, but it looks like it may fix the problem I have harped on other companies for well over a year - categorize multiple seasons of a TV show with ONE cover art instead of like 36 (one for each DVD of each season times 9, for example). It offers IP control for high end control systems. And it seems to be supported by a rabid group of incredibly talented engineers and programmers. If only it could play uncompressed Blu_Ray ISO's.

for the scanning part of xbmc, yes its accurate, the best out there if you ask me. when you sellect in settings to update your library on startup you never have to do this manually anymore when you hvae ripped new movies. just name your directories movienames good so xbmc will reconize it.
i never had problems with the scan, and if you have, you will see a missing poster or missing fanart what you can finx manually (but that not that hard, i guess)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLETV] Library problem on Apple TV0