[WINDOWS] XBMC for Windows and Blu-ray Discs?
Question 
I am getting a blu-ray drive this week. I get that XBMC will not play Blu-Ray discs, but what are some solutions for making them work well. I have no software for playing Blu, so I will need that. What would be the best setup to do? anything to avoid?

If thi sis the wrong forum .. sorry.

--Ryan
AnyDVD-HD will decrypt on the fly. Then browse to <drive>:\BDMV\STREAM and play the largest m2ts file.

Hope you have some beefy hardware. Raw BD content can be very resource-intensive.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

How about just launching an external app to play BD media? would require windoze or osx and appropriate software, but i guess it would do the trick.

Im hoping someone have already done this and posted how tos, because i have a bd-drive in my ION box, and ripping on the fly is not an option..
why XBMC will not play Blu-Ray discsHuh??is anybody working on this?
Caligo Wrote:How about just launching an external app to play BD media? would require windoze or osx and appropriate software, but i guess it would do the trick.

Im hoping someone have already done this and posted how tos, because i have a bd-drive in my ION box, and ripping on the fly is not an option..

Why is ripping on the fly not an option? Regardless of that, you won't have much success playing BluRay on Windows/Ion. There is currently no hardware acceleration in XBMC for Windows, and the Atom cannot handle VC1/h264 streams without it.

On the Ion, you will need to use a hardware-accelerated player for BluRay. Search the forums for 'External Player'.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

gui Wrote:why XBMC will not play Blu-Ray discsHuh??is anybody working on this?

The answer to this question is too long to even begin to answer here. I suggest you read up on what a BluRay disc is if you are interested in understanding why adding support for BluRay discs is not a trivial task.

phi2039 Wrote:Why is ripping on the fly not an option? Regardless of that, you won't have much success playing BluRay on Windows/Ion. There is currently no hardware acceleration in XBMC for Windows, and the Atom cannot handle VC1/h264 streams without it.

On the Ion, you will need to use a hardware-accelerated player for BluRay. Search the forums for 'External Player'.

what about a non ION based motherboard like the new zotac 9300 Huh
The Atom processor is the problem here, not the platform or GPU...

Given an on-the-fly decrypter like anydvdhd as a prereq, is anyone working on a plugin that will make xbmc bluray/hd-dvd friendly? I dont care about flashy BD menus. But neither to i relish the thought of having to browse through the directory structure and playing m2ts files manually. Some disks, in addition, are a pain in that they dont just use one large m2ts file for the main movie.

How hard would it be for a plugin to be able to interpret the (already decrypted) BD structure and just play the movie for you?
dexx, you should probably ask your question in the Feature suggestions forum.
phi2039 Wrote:Then browse to <drive>:\BDMV\STREAM and play the largest m2ts file.
On some blu-rays, the movie is divided into several m2ts files... this is not practical in this case.
What would be nice is the possibility to play the movie using the main title playlist.
so with AnyDVD-HD installed would i be able to access and explore the bluray disc ?
i am on xp.
after installing the blu ray drivers im able to explore the bd with xbmc,but cannot play the mt2s file.
any suggestions ?

ps: ok installed AnyDVD-HD and it play the mt2s, but processor speed goes up to 100% and it loose frames down to 19,not smooth at all.
what can it beHuh?
the bd plays ok using powerdvd.
your processor is too slow.

in pdvd it's probably using your graphics cards hardware acceleration. in xbmc everything is cpu based (much better imho) so yours stutters.

you need approx a 2.4ghz dual core for 1080p.

goto linux to play stuff using VDPAU (basically linux hardware acceleration), but you'll lose anydvdhd, and wont be able to play any bluray from disc.
the cpu is a E5200 DUAL CORE.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] XBMC for Windows and Blu-ray Discs?0