SmartPlaylist - Random 'TV broadcast' mode?
Lightbulb 
A recent hobby project to create a TV broadcast type playlist.
Objective: To play random episodes, movies, and music videos, just like if you were channel surfing using your TV remote.
I used the Smart Playlist function in XBMC to create a TV episodes random smart playlist (I had to edit the code slightly to remove the ordering = ascending/descending assignment so that episodes were completely random):

Code:
<smartplaylist type="episodes">
    <name>Random TV</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="none" operator="contains"></rule>
    <limit>25</limit>
    <order>random</order>
</smartplaylist>

To use it, I open the context menu while selecting the playlist and simply choose to play it in party mode.
It works quite well - a very random assortment of shows.... and if I don't want to watch a particular show, I just skip forward to the next show. Alas you can only watch so much "TV" right Nod

I'd like to expand on the smart playlist by adding random movies and music videos to the mix, but I'm lost as to what the <smartplaylist type=??> should be?
Anyone know if there is anyway to create a multi-video mixed smartplaylist?
Sorry - can't help with the questions or code, but I've been wanting something like this for a long time (I might have even posted on it quite a while ago??)

Anyway, sounds like you are on the right track.

Some options that would be great (probably requires xbmc code changes??) is
1 - the ability to jump to the next episode of the show you have just watched.
2 - Be able to watch the episodes in sequential order through all seasons (even if separated by other shows)
3 - The ability to skip back to previous episodes
4 - the ability to resume playback even if the episode wasn't finished.
5 - The ability to create genre options "SciFI/Crime/Comedy etc

There are probably heaps more.

I see it as a playlist that acts like an automatic TV/Movie channel that while random has some structure to it. Hope this develops.

Trying to decide what to watch sometimes is a real pain!
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
I'm not sure if there is an add syntax supported in the code for smartplaylist?

<smartplaylist type="episodes" + "movies">

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SmartPlaylist - Random 'TV broadcast' mode?0