• 1(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
Thumbs Up 
Original Post

Quote:First, i'd like to say thanks to the developers and the forum members. XBMC is a great media center software and the amount of information on the forum, while overwhelming, is extremely helpful. Since i've received so much information from the forum, i was hoping this might help someone else with a Harmony remote.
While searching for information regarding the Harmony remote and keymapping, i found a post on the Logitech forums. When inputting a new device using the logitech software and the manufacturer as microsoft, the model can be put in as MCE Keyboard. This doesn't show up in the menu, but is available when typed in. I then mapped the harmony keys to keyboard strokes within the Harmony software. I can now use the remote with XBMC without Event Ghost or any other keymapping software running.
I am still trying to learn more specifics of how XBMC works so that i can fine tune my key mappings. I have not yet figured out a way to get the Harmony to output a double key press. If i can figure out a way to do this, XBMC could be started using a hotkey combination. If anyone can help, i would appreciate it.

EDIT by Zag for a proper guide (November 2012)
Step 1
Load up the Logitech software
Devices >> Add Device >> Computer >> Media PC >> Microsoft >> "MCE Keyboard"

Step 2
Activities >> Add devices such as TV, Amplifier and "Microsoft Media Center PC".
Setup new "HTPC" activity with all your devices and order which they should be switched on and sources used.

Step 3
Activities >> "HTPC" >> Customize Buttons as below,

Step 4 - Optimizing Remote speed

Devices >> Media Center PC >> Settings >> Adjust the Delays (speed settings)
0/1000/500

Devices >> Media Center PC >> troubleshooting >> My Media Center PC is responding too slowly

Devices >> Media Center PC >> troubleshooting >> My Media Center PC responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally.
What IR receiver are you using?
I'm pretty sure it has to be the official Microsoft receiver. I am about to try this, should be far easier than using eventghost.

edit; That was really simple, just chose MCE Keyboard in the harmony setup under the manufacturer Microsoft. Setup the buttons for xbmc keys and it was done. It works much much better than with the mce remote selected, and I think eventghost might have been introducing some delay aswell.
That was my experience as well. The remote seemed much more responsive. I made a few minor changes to the keymapping file for opening certain windows and mapped them to special keys. I also set up one of the unused function keys to open XBMC from the desktop. I had tried event ghost, but this method was much simpler for me. I am using an mce receiver.
Cool post, after reading how really easy this is I'll be trying this later today. Cool
Intel NUC NUC5PPYH
  • Intel Pentium N3700 Quad-Core (Braswell)
  • Intel 535 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB DDR3L 1600 1.35v
  • Microsoft MCE Remote RC6 IR Model 1039
  • Kodi 17 LibreELEC Testbuilds Milhouse
This helped me drastically, thanks
Please excuse my ignorance but I am just moving over to Windows from the Xbox... which IR receiver are you guys using? Is it the xbox dvd remote using a xbox to usb adapter or the MCE IR receiver?
newg Wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but I am just moving over to Windows from the Xbox... which IR receiver are you guys using? Is it the xbox dvd remote using a xbox to usb adapter or the MCE IR receiver?

It's the MCE IR Receiver.
atiinola Wrote:I made a few minor changes to the keymapping file for opening certain windows and mapped them to special keys. I also set up one of the unused function keys to open XBMC from the desktop. I had tried event ghost, but this method was much simpler for me. I am using an mce receiver.

Since this is now a stickied post, could you please post your keymaps etc, show screenshots of how you did all this, so people can get the most out of the thread (including myself.. Smile
Ive figured out most commands, and configured xbmc to start using irserver suites translator..
Anyways im not having any luck with the coloured "teletxt" buttons.. really want the ability to jump straight to the home screen, amonst other functions that these keys will allow (is there a way to jump to movies, or is that what MyVideos does??) Anyways heres the relevant keymap.xml entries if someone could please look and tell me where im going wrong

Code:
<myvideo>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</myvideo>
      <mymusic>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</mymusic>
      <mypictures>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</mypictures>
      <mytv>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</mytv>

Edit: Figured it out Smile.. For future reference for anyone else, you need to change the IRSSMAP.xml as well.. This is what it will look like:

Code:
<mytv>31652</mytv> <!-- red -->
<mymusic>31651</mymusic> <!-- green -->
<mypictures>31650</mypictures> <!-- yellow -->
<myvideo>31649</myvideo> <!-- blue -->

and this is what it needs to look like for the logitech to work:
Code:
    <mytv>31669</mytv> <!-- red -->
        <mymusic>31672</mymusic> <!-- green -->
        <mypictures>31670</mypictures> <!-- yellow -->
        <myvideo>31673</myvideo> <!-- blue -->

Back to another question tho, is there a better way to to go directly to the movie library!? im using xbmc.activatewindow(videolibrary,movietitles) and its no good.. it dosnt take me into the library, it takes me to a very broken looking screen that looks like it could be some bad skinning, but im sure its because its not calling the window properly (using aeon showmix). Does anyone have it working properly? Thanks! time for sleep, argh work in 5 hours.. damn you xbmc and logitech!
This is great news, thanks for sharing. Will try later today
mykaln Wrote:What IR receiver are you using?

Im using the antec veris multimedia station ez and it works mostly fine. The only issue i have is when xbmc tweaks out thinking im pressing a directional button a million times. This may be due to lack of delay on my harmony software, but it only happens when i press one button repeatedly in quick succession. Any thoughts anyone? Higher delay maybe? Any recommended delay settings?
Jesse Wrote:Im using the antec veris multimedia station ez and it works mostly fine. The only issue i have is when xbmc tweaks out thinking im pressing a directional button a million times. This may be due to lack of delay on my harmony software, but it only happens when i press one button repeatedly in quick succession. Any thoughts anyone? Higher delay maybe? Any recommended delay settings?

This is really starting to annoy me when trying to scroll through TV shows or movies. Anyone got any input?
garvani Wrote:Ive figured out most commands, and configured xbmc to start using irserver suites translator..
Anyways im not having any luck with the coloured "teletxt" buttons.. really want the ability to jump straight to the home screen, amonst other functions that these keys will allow (is there a way to jump to movies, or is that what MyVideos does??) Anyways heres the relevant keymap.xml entries if someone could please look and tell me where im going wrong

Code:
<myvideo>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</myvideo>
      <mymusic>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</mymusic>
      <mypictures>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</mypictures>
      <mytv>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</mytv>

Edit: Figured it out Smile.. For future reference for anyone else, you need to change the IRSSMAP.xml as well.. This is what it will look like:

Code:
<mytv>31652</mytv> <!-- red -->
<mymusic>31651</mymusic> <!-- green -->
<mypictures>31650</mypictures> <!-- yellow -->
<myvideo>31649</myvideo> <!-- blue -->

and this is what it needs to look like for the logitech to work:
Code:
    <mytv>31669</mytv> <!-- red -->
        <mymusic>31672</mymusic> <!-- green -->
        <mypictures>31670</mypictures> <!-- yellow -->
        <myvideo>31673</myvideo> <!-- blue -->

Back to another question tho, is there a better way to to go directly to the movie library!? im using xbmc.activatewindow(videolibrary,movietitles) and its no good.. it dosnt take me into the library, it takes me to a very broken looking screen that looks like it could be some bad skinning, but im sure its because its not calling the window properly (using aeon showmix). Does anyone have it working properly? Thanks! time for sleep, argh work in 5 hours.. damn you xbmc and logitech!

Here is what i do to jump straight to the library or video pages. Map the logitech button to the F1, F2 buttons etc... and then map those buttons in the keymap.xml file as below: Note the 'Downloads' 'Movies' etc is the name of the source.

<keymap>
<Global>
<keyboard>
<f1>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</f1>
<f2>ActivateWindow(videofiles,Downloads)</f2>
<f3>ActivateWindow(videofiles,Movies)</f3>
</keyboard>
</Global>
</keymap>
Edit:

Looks like 100/1000 delay settings helps enough to make it usable. durrrr....
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4