• 4(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
I cannot find the keymap.xml that will allow controlling XBMC from the Harmony.

Would any of the users that already has this working be so kind to post the keymap.xml file and ideally the setup screens of the Harmony software? :o

Thanks!

EDIT: I started the config, using the Windows Media Center SE , there are a lot of powerful "key combos" but I don't know how to emulate a single keypress !. So if "s" brings up the shutdown menu I don't see any option to map the "s" key to any button in the remote. Only "combos" and numbers.

PD: I have my own method to launch programs in Win 7, just pin the programs to taskbar and Win+1..Win+9 will launch the 1st, 2nd...9th program. These combinations are already present in the device buttons.
adsoto Wrote:I cannot find the keymap.xml that will allow controlling XBMC from the Harmony.

Would any of the users that already has this working be so kind to post the keymap.xml file and ideally the setup screens of the Harmony software? :o

Thanks!

EDIT: I started the config, using the Windows Media Center SE , there are a lot of powerful "key combos" but I don't know how to emulate a single keypress !. So if "s" brings up the shutdown menu I don't see any option to map the "s" key to any button in the remote. Only "combos" and numbers.

PD: I have my own method to launch programs in Win 7, just pin the programs to taskbar and Win+1..Win+9 will launch the 1st, 2nd...9th program. These combinations are already present in the device buttons.

As far as I know, there is no need to make any alterations to the keymap.xml - certainly I have never altered anything physically within XBMC. All changes for keymapping are done within the Harmony software under 'Activites - customize buttons'.
steelman1991 Wrote:As far as I know, there is no need to make any alterations to the keymap.xml - certainly I have never altered anything physically within XBMC. All changes for keymapping are done within the Harmony software under 'Activites - customize buttons'.

FWIW I finally learnt a couple of things Rolleyes someone may benefit.
  • I was using Windows Media Center SE instead of "MCE Keyboard"
  • Windows Media Center SE provides a lot of powerful key combinations and specific shortcuts for Media Center
  • It does not provide any "normal" key (except numbers) puzzling me on how to use with XBMC
  • I added the "MCE Keyboard" device so I have now both set of commands available
  • In worst case OSK (On-Screen Keyboard) is your friend! (Win 7 version looks cool btw)

I am still working on how to seamlessly switch between applications but thanks to all of the info in this forum/Logitech forums it now looks feasible.
Help Me!

Equipment
Harmony 550 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I cant get my remote to connect to my receiver. So maybe they cant talk to each other.

Please help me out.
Landmine Wrote:Help Me!

Please help me out.

Your Microsoft reciever is an RF receiver and your Harmony is outputting IR commands. There is no communication between the two.

Possible solution:

You could buy a USB-IR receiver to plug into your computer to let you receive communication from your Harmony. There's quite a few options for this already listed in this thread.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
What I don't understand is this:
1) my remote can control my xbox 360
2) I can use an xbox 360 remote to control my pc via the reciever. Explain?
Landmine Wrote:What I don't understand is this:
1) my remote can control my xbox 360
2) I can use an xbox 360 remote to control my pc via the reciever. Explain?

XBOX360 controllers output only RF (2.4 Ghz I believe)

1. Your XBOX360 must have an IR receiver if it is seeing commands from your IR Harmony.

2. Which xbox 360 remote? via the receiver you've already mentioned?
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
The 360 receiver allows you to use a 360 controller on a PC, that's it. The 360 itself has a built-in IR port which is to the left of the memory card ports (small black square), this is why you can control the 360 with your harmony.

In order to control a PC with the harmony you need an IR receiver, mine is a HP media center one I got off my cousin.
Media PC (ASRock ION 330) - Intel ATOM 330 | 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Memory | Seagate Momentus 320GB 5400.6RPM SATA Hard Drive | nVidia nForce 10/100/1000 LAN | Liteon DS-8A3S SATA DVDRW | nVidia ION Graphics | Microsoft Windows 7 32bit Ultimate | XBMC for Windows using Neon skin

Home Theatre System
Panasonic TC-32LX70 32" 720p LCD HDTV | Denon AVR-1909 A/V Receiver | Paradigm Cinema70 5.1 Speakers | Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV2
Thanks guy, I'm learning a lot!

Would my ATI Remote Wonder Receiver work?
As far as I kno the remote wonder is RF, so no.
Media PC (ASRock ION 330) - Intel ATOM 330 | 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Memory | Seagate Momentus 320GB 5400.6RPM SATA Hard Drive | nVidia nForce 10/100/1000 LAN | Liteon DS-8A3S SATA DVDRW | nVidia ION Graphics | Microsoft Windows 7 32bit Ultimate | XBMC for Windows using Neon skin

Home Theatre System
Panasonic TC-32LX70 32" 720p LCD HDTV | Denon AVR-1909 A/V Receiver | Paradigm Cinema70 5.1 Speakers | Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV2
All,

I am migrating from the XBMC on XBOX to XBMC on Windows.

I have a Harmony 1000, and on my built computer (Win7Ult64), I have installed the HP IR Reciever.

Using the instructions in this thread, I was able to reprogran the Harmony 1000 to have the "Media Center PC" "MCE Keyboard" settings.

After reprogramming using the Harmony remote software, on first remote reset, I had to redo the task button that I had defined as "Play XBMC". Once that was done, I had basic controls (Up, down, over, select)

I have found that "Info" is the "I" key

And I map [previous channel] and [back] to the "esc" key

While this is good, it did not give me the context keys that I really needed:

* Menu
* Guide

Those two are invaluable to the XBMC control. (at least, to me!)

If you know the specific commands that I should enter for those in the Logitech 1000, please reply.

Also, Bonus round question: how do I get it to stop bringing up the Windows MediaCenter in the background underneath XBMC.

Thanks!

Huh
zebraitis Wrote:Also, Bonus round question: how do I get it to stop bringing up the Windows MediaCenter in the background underneath XBMC.

Thanks!

Huh

Try using eventghost, there should be a option to disable the normal MCE remote functions.

Im using the usb microsoft IR receiver from my org. MCE + a harmony remote and eventghost.
I also used the xbox360 wireless controller for windows with XBMC and eventghost, but the auto shutdown after 20mins was bit annoying.
Thanks OP. Got it up and working great with my 880. The only question I have and maybe I missed it is:

On my XBOX while watching a movie I could hit one button and flip between 4:3 or 16:9 or 14:9 etc. With Windows it appears I have to go through multiple screens to get to where I want to have this option. Is there a way to set it up so I can have 1 button that will do the same thing without having to get into multiple screens to do the same thing?
Howry Wrote:Thanks OP. Got it up and working great with my 880. The only question I have and maybe I missed it is:

On my XBOX while watching a movie I could hit one button and flip between 4:3 or 16:9 or 14:9 etc. With Windows it appears I have to go through multiple screens to get to where I want to have this option. Is there a way to set it up so I can have 1 button that will do the same thing without having to get into multiple screens to do the same thing?

The aspect ratio change is set to the "z" key on the keyboard. You can add a custom keymap to your XBMC install to map this to one of you already set harmony buttons.

For example the Guide button on my Harmony is set to keypress "c". So I've configured XBMC to change aspect ratio when I press the guide button in FullscreenVideo with the custom keymap.xml below.

Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
        <c>AspectRatio</c>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

You can decide how you want to run it. You could change the select button to AspectRatio if you wanted.
For those of you that are unable to find the Function Keys and Letter Keys, I believe that Logitech must have updated their database of devices, and entering Microsoft MCE Keyboard now defaults to having a different keyboard (model 1044) being selected. To fix this, I had to add the device, then go back into the device (Devices Tab, then select Settings for the device), and choose 'Set Up The Device Based On A Similar Device'. On the next screen select 'No, I don't have a remote', The next screen will show that the device is the 1044 keyboard. Choose 'View More Similar Devices', and then select the entry that is just 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard'. I don't know why this View More Similar Devices isn't offered in the initial setup, but this was how I finally got it to work. BTW, I have the 680. Hope this helps!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4