[WINDOWS] XBMC crash soon after start up
Hello, I'm trying to get XBMC up and running on a self-built PC hooked up to my plasma TV and can't get it to start up without crashing.

A few seconds after starting XBMC the computer locks up but allows me to move the mouse around for a few seconds before displaying a screen of one colour and locking up completely, needing a hard reset.

Essential info:
Windows XP SP2
XBMC 9.04
Athlon BE2350, 2GB RAM, 1TB Samsung EcoGreen HD
Jetway NC62K m/board with integrated Geforce 8200
185.85 and 186.18 Geforce drivers both tried
15.26 nForce m/board drivers installed
Built Realtek HD Audio with 5.10.0.5532 drivers (from m/board installl CD)
F-Secure 2009 anti-virus
Debug log : http://pastebin.com/m1cdfe78d

After a few crashes, the first time I tried to view the debug log the crash occured when resizing the Notebook window (without XBMC open) but a reinstall of XP seems to have solved that issue. I've also tried XBMC 8.10 Atlantis with the crash still occuring.

I don't think it's XBMC that's at fault but there's clearly something not right about my set up. I've just replaced the hard drive; the motherboard apparently had compatability issues with the Western Digital one fitted before.

XBMC seems to be the only program that causes the crash. All the temperatures are quite low. The WD drive would cause a crash when using 3D but Furmark is running fine so it doesn't appear to be the same problem (although it did crash in a similar way with the entire screen turning to the most predominant colour)

Thanks for reading through this rather long winded post. After spending a good while looking through the forums and google I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next so any help is much appreciated.
As you describe it the problem could be just about anything. You could probably try to disable the soundcard in bios and see if it stops the crash, make sure you have enough memory on your integrated video,( if it uses shared memory), use some stressing programs to rule out hardware failures (orthos for cpu and memory), uninstall your antivirus, see if you can play a 3d game on it.

P.S. I hope your computer is not overclocked

also: flash your latest bios
After reading through your log file, I have to admit I'm also a little confused. It seems to stop in a place where crashing would not usually happen.

Is this a fresh install, or are you using the userdata from a previous install? I'm assuming fresh, but I want to eliminate some possibilities.

I also suggest trying to play a 3d game, preferably one using OpenGL.

Edit: One other thing. Are you doing nothing while it crashes? I mean, if you just start the program and wait a second or do without touching any keys, will it still crash?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

In answer to your questions the PC is not overclocked; everything is a fresh install on a new hard drive; when the crash occurs whether I'm doing anything or not.

I thought the Furmark openGL stresstest would have been enough but I'll try Half-Life too, I think that's openGL.

Sounds like it's a hardware/driver/gremlin fault, XBMC is just the first piece of software to be affected by it. Thanks for having a look at the log file. I'll report back when I get it fixed, might be useful to someone in the future.
Built on Jun 2 2009 (SVN:20672, compiler 1500)

Can you try recent build and post debug log and crash dmp file ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
yes, furmark is a bit odd, i can get a stable overclock in furmark that crashes in games pretty quick.
Thanks for posting. I've narrowed the fault down to when I use the SATA and the graphics card at the same time. Furmark must just test the graphics without hard drive.

With a PATA drive (identical install) everything is working fine so it seems not XBMC that's causing the crash. BIOS and SATA driver updates don't affect it so I'm waiting to hear back from the motherboard retailer about getting another one.

Thanks again, it's great how the XBMC community help each other out.
After I turn on the computer I need to open up xbmc immediately or else it won't start up at all. doesn't say that its crashing or anything just pauses for a moment and then my computer runs sluggish. If I get xbmc to run or just attempting to run it the computer runs slow and will not shut down properly. Just stays on the shut down screen forever(at least until I hold down the power button to force shut off).

When it does run it runs fine. But otherwise its like my rig is about to die on me. Its less than a month old. I have
-windows 7
-intel i7 2.8ghz
-8gigs of 1066 ram
-geforce gtx 560m 2gig
-realtek audio
-all drivers have been updated

Im confused if someone could help. I unfortunately have no logs to put up because there are none? I do have to admit that I am a little rusty when using a pc. I had a mac for 5 years. I hate macs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] XBMC crash soon after start up0