• 87(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?
Thanks smooc. Mind posting a patch to the OSX driver homepage so that davilla can merge it in?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

smooc Wrote:It's not very clean, but the driver in general isn't too clean so :-).

Ouch Smile
link to patch:

http://www.therebel.eu/power_patch.patch.gz
@smooc, can I add the same BSD licensing that is under BroadcomCrystalHD.h, your Copyright of course. ?
Sure be my guest :-)
It's been a while since the last status update. Are they being posted elsewhere these days?
candre23 Wrote:It's been a while since the last status update. Are they being posted elsewhere these days?

no.
I hate to make such a noobish post, but I just can't find it. Where do I get all the necessary support files and install information for Crystal HD? I just received mine today and want to get it setup on my mac mini this weekend.

I'm going to mess with it on both OS X native as well as an Ubuntu install
I am planning to buy the chip from LogicBuy. Is this thing still good & on track?
For reasons which I am unaware, this thread has pretty much died out. I come back for a peek every now and then but, so far, not much going on here for the last while.

Maybe someone else has an explanation for the sudden silence?
dublus Wrote:For reasons which I am unaware, this thread has pretty much died out. I come back for a peek every now and then but, so far, not much going on here for the last while.

Maybe someone else has an explanation for the sudden silence?

N other threads maybe Smile
Is there another thread similar to this one (AppleTV w/ CrystalHD)?

I looked around and couldn't find anything. It's very possible or maybe even likely that other information is available here and I didn't find it because this stuf is pretty new to me Eek
Thanks a lot for all the hard work, davilla (& team)!

I lent my Mac Mini to a friend for a while until she gets a new computer, so I tried the Crystal HD card in my Dell Mini 9 last night, worked great! Couldn't believe I was watching a 720p MKV file on such a tiny computer with only 50% CPU usage.

Now I just gotta get my Mac back... Wink
avchd (.mts) files no go

There are a huge number of frustrated people not able to watch the vacation movies taken with the high definition consumer camcorders sold in the last few years on the market. File format: avchd (.mts or .m2ts), 1080P at 60i or 30P up to maximum 24Mbps and the container format is standard on Blu-ray disks.
Once transferred out from the camcorder, the only way to play them seems to be one of the multimedia boxes like WDTV, which worked very well on my tests.

Most computers are not able to direct play the files without time consuming conversion or editing.

I was hopping the Broadcom card will add this functionality to the AppleTV, unfortunately the BCM70012 was also not able to play .mts / .m2ts files.

While the Broadcom specs are claiming capability up to 40Mbps data, the output in XBMC is unwatchable, shattered, one frame every few seconds and no sound. Actually it looks somehow better on an AppleTV without a Broadcom card.

The question I have: is this behavior due Broadcom card limitation or is linked to the drivers and we still have hope in future developments?
vp-xbmc Wrote:avchd (.mts) files no go

There are a huge number of frustrated people not able to watch the vacation movies taken with the high definition consumer camcorders sold in the last few years on the market. File format: avchd (.mts or .m2ts), 1080P at 60i or 30P up to maximum 24Mbps and the container format is standard on Blu-ray disks.
Once transferred out from the camcorder, the only way to play them seems to be one of the multimedia boxes like WDTV, which worked very well on my tests.

Most computers are not able to direct play the files without time consuming conversion or editing.

I was hopping the Broadcom card will add this functionality to the AppleTV, unfortunately the BCM70012 was also not able to play .mts / .m2ts files.

While the Broadcom specs are claiming capability up to 40Mbps data, the output in XBMC is unwatchable, shattered, one frame every few seconds and no sound. Actually it looks somehow better on an AppleTV without a Broadcom card.

The question I have: is this behavior due Broadcom card limitation or is linked to the drivers and we still have hope in future developments?

"avchd (.mts) files no go" tells me squat. You are taking container format and not encoding format and several encoding formats could be inside that container. Please learn the buzz words.

1080P at 60i makes no sense, you're either progressive or interlaced. 1080p is a progressive format. 60i makes no sense either, it's 1080i/30 fps interlaced (mpeg2) or 1080p/30 fps (h264).

Now you go about tossing various container flavors (.mts/m2ts), not a clue what mts is but m2ts is what bluray uses and is an expansion on ts (transport stream). Inside the container can be one of three encoding formats (mpeg2, h264 or vc1). Of those encoding formats there are specific flavors. Now stop guessing and making overly broad statements and use MediaInfo to actually qualify just what you think you are talking about.

What your HD camcorder records might be in an m2ts container but is it really to some spec or are they doing something wacky.

And I don't really care that multimedia boxes like WDTV can play them. Don't have them, not buying one.

BTW, The Dark Knight bluray disk peaks at 45 Mb/second. It's one of my test videos and is a PowerDVD rip keeping the bluray disk structure.
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?9