Scraping multi-episode TV Show DVD ISO or VIDEO_TS harddrive backup - is it possible?
Question 
Hi!

I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection to a newly acquired NAS.
DVD files are simply copied to the folders on the NAS, which are named with the movie title.

Scraping movie info works excellently.

Now I've come across the first couple of DVDs with several episodes of a TV show. (Futurama Season 1 box set)

Using the above approach, ripping the whole DVD with several episodes doesn't seem to work well with scrapers. I guess the info just isn't there for such animals?

I later ripped single VOBs and IFOs for each ep into separate folders and gave them names like
\\Juggernaut\public\tvshows\Futurama\Futurama S01E01 Space Pilot 3000
or
\\Juggernaut\public\tvshows\Futurama\S01E02 The Series Has Landed

Scraping the info for these doesn't yield any usable results.

Am I overlooking something obvious here?

Does scraping for single episodes in folders even work?

Is there a best practice guide?
this is all explained in the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows#TV_...onventions

see 2.2

if you want to identify based on folder names you have to add your own enumeration regexps, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSett...atching.3E
Theres a wiki?

<Ducks and covers>

Sorry to waste your time.

And many thanks Smile
I'd definitely recommend splitting the episodes into individual entries (files or folders); but it's up to you whether to rip each episode as a DVD folder, a DVD ISO, or rip and convert each to another video file format (e.g. mpg2, xvid, etc). I've mostly converted over to mpg2, but for convenience (a 1-step process) and retention of DVD chapters and subtitles, I've begun ripping my TV episodes to individual DVD ISO files (sans any extras).

I've also ripped TV episodes to individual DVD folders, in the past -- as in your example -- but to have the TV episode folders properly scraped, I had to add the following block to my advancedsettings.xml file:
Code:
<tvshowmatching append="no">
    <regexp>\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)\]?([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \[\-\\/]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \-\\/]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])([\._ \-][^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
  </tvshowmatching>

The default show matching rules suffice if you rip to file, whether DVD ISO or another video format.
plooger Wrote:I've begun ripping my TV episodes to individual DVD ISO files (sans any extras).
The one downside I've found to ripping episodes as distinct DVD folders or ISOs -- at least using my current (possibly faulty) method -- is that control doesn't return to XBMC at the end of the episode. Instead, the screen just goes black, and you have to press 'Stop' on the remote to get back to the playlist/file listing -- because I've ripped the episodes as DVDs, and XBMC is displaying the "null" menu. (Not sure if XBMC shouldn't just exit at the end of the video if there's no menu, or a single title, similar to how the video automatically starts when the ISO is selected for playback.)

This also makes queuing multiple DVD ISO episodes for viewing a bit hinky, since there's no way to jump to the next video -- that I'm aware of -- without first exiting-out to the playlist.
Might as well add to this thread...

I'm totally stumped:

I have a TV directory that looks something like this

/BIGDISK1/TV/Invasion/
/BIGDISK1/TV/4400/
/BIGDISK1/TV/Firefly/

So lets take /BIGDISK1/TV/Invasion/ for my test:

I ripped the 1st DVD to my HD it contains the 1st 4 episodes of season 1 the name of the ripped folder was Invasion_D1 (I think).

I renamed Invasion_D1 ---> Invasion_s01e01e02e03e04

I then placed that inside the /BIGDISK1/TV/Invasion folder

I ran XBMC and it refused to acknowledge the existence of the dvd folder containing the first 4 episodes of season 1.

Version: 9.0.4 (SVN-22269M)
Hardware: Intel Mac running OS X 10.5.8
CPU: Intel CD2
MEM: 2GB
GPU: NVidia 9500 GT

My log: http://pastebin.com/m4fd0afa2

Hope I did the log right....

Any ideas why its not working?

From my understanding of the wiki if I rip a dvd containing multiple episodes (in tact with dvd menus and all) and rename the folder containing that contains the Video_TS folder to something like Invasion_s01e01e02e03e04 then I don't need to touch the advancedsettings.xml or anything... in short, it should just work.

Well it isn't Sad

Dave
Well I worked around the problem by converting the Invasion_s01e01e02e03e04 folder into an Invasion_s01e01e02e03e04.iso and magic everything fell into place very nicely!

If the .iso is mandatory perhaps it should be mentioned more forcefully in the TV documentation. Especially since the Movies don't need to be .iso at least so far for me they haven't.

Anyway I'm just happy I can move forward... lol

Dave
Plooger, THANK YOU for the regex. I never could write that stuff even though I wrote C for Unix apps for years.

I also updated the wiki with this extremely valuable information.

One of the many benefits of XBMC is not having to convert from format A to Format B to suit the sw. Having TV shows as DVD's is just one of the many reasons I love XBMC.

Gerrit
plooger Wrote:I've also ripped TV episodes to individual DVD folders, in the past -- as in your example -- but to have the TV episode folders properly scraped, I had to add the following block to my advancedsettings.xml file:
Code:
    <regexp>\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)\]?([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \[\-\\/]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \-\\/]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])([\._ \-][^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
  </tvshowmatching>

I really don't understand how this works. I've got the following folder structure:
V:\TV Shows\SHOW_NAME\Season ##\Disc#\VIDEO_TS
(VIDEO_TS contains all the DVD files IFO+VOB files).

I created an "advancedsettings.xml" file in
E:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\XBMC\userdata
which contains only the following:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  </tvshowmatching>
</advancedsettings>

When I add "V:\TV Shows" as a source with the content type set to TV shows, I get an entry in the TV Shows library for SHOW_NAME, but nothing for the actual DVD in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Is it just getting confused when it reaches the "Disc#" folder? Would changing the name of that folder to S02E01E02E03E04 (if the disc had the first four episodes of season 2, for example) work?
Hi
you still have to set the episode information in a directory name, e.g. instead of Disk # use s01e02 as an example. Any of the episode patterns will work.
I tried that, and still couldn't get it to work. Posted a new thread about it here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60881
I have followed plooger's method and it works "partly":

I use folder names like foo.s01e01e02e03. However, only the first episode (e01 in this example) is found and shown in the library by XBMC.

@plooger: Have you been able to make this work for multiple episodes as well or has anyone else been able to make this work for multiple episodes?

Thanks and best regards,
Nemobil

plooger Wrote:I'd definitely recommend splitting the episodes into individual entries (files or folders); but it's up to you whether to rip each episode as a DVD folder, a DVD ISO, or rip and convert each to another video file format (e.g. mpg2, xvid, etc). I've mostly converted over to mpg2, but for convenience (a 1-step process) and retention of DVD chapters and subtitles, I've begun ripping my TV episodes to individual DVD ISO files (sans any extras).

I've also ripped TV episodes to individual DVD folders, in the past -- as in your example -- but to have the TV episode folders properly scraped, I had to add the following block to my advancedsettings.xml file:
Code:
  </tvshowmatching>

The default show matching rules suffice if you rip to file, whether DVD ISO or another video format.
Hi all, I'm having some problems getting an ISO detected now, as a TV show. I'm ripping the entire 10 series boxset, around 420gb, so I really need to get this working. My stucture is: \\kieron-server\store2\TV Shows (DVD ISO)\Stargate SG-1\Season 7\Stargate.SG-1.S07E01E02E03E04.ISO, xbmc doesn't acknownladge the file when updating library.

I've even tried adding an .nfo, which I used Media Companion to generate, but still to no avail.

Can someone help? I don't know if I need to post a log, if I do point me where (XBMC Ubuntu install) and I'll happily pastebin it. Cheers!
Kieron Wrote:Hi all, I'm having some problems getting an ISO detected now, as a TV show. I'm ripping the entire 10 series boxset, around 420gb, so I really need to get this working. My stucture is: \\kieron-server\store2\TV Shows (DVD ISO)\Stargate SG-1\Season 7\Stargate.SG-1.S07E01E02E03E04.ISO, xbmc doesn't acknownladge the file when updating library.

I've even tried adding an .nfo, which I used Media Companion to generate, but still to no avail.

Can someone help? I don't know if I need to post a log, if I do point me where (XBMC Ubuntu install) and I'll happily pastebin it. Cheers!

Fixed it... file extension needed to be lowercase, .iso. Silly really, but it works now!
Hello,

Is there a way to use this stucture?

Code:
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 01/VIDEO_TS.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 01/VIDEO_TS.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 01/VTS_01_0.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 01/VTS_01_0.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 01/VTS_01_1.VOB

/TVShows/House/House 1 - 02/VIDEO_TS.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 02/VIDEO_TS.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 02/VTS_01_0.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 02/VTS_01_0.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 1 - 02/VTS_01_1.VOB
/TVShows/House/House 2 - 01/VIDEO_TS.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 2 - 01/VIDEO_TS.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 2 - 01/VTS_01_0.BUP
/TVShows/House/House 2 - 01/VTS_01_0.IFO
/TVShows/House/House 2 - 01/VTS_01_1.VOB

I mean: There is a dedicated folder with the show name, and below
there is per episode a dedicated folder named \ShowName Season# - Episode##\and below this there is the show in DVD format.For Movies this works great, for TV shows the show is recognized, but has no entries.

The File system is shared with a Pinnacle Mediacenter Database, so renaming and subbfoldering is not that easy while renaming is duable - so I can change the foldernames - if necessary - to something like this (no season subfolders):

\Show\Show S01 E01\VIDEO_TS.IFO # DVD Folder with 5 Files...
\Show\Show S01 E02\VIDEO_TS.IFO
\Show\Show S02 E01\VIDEO_TS.IFO

I am not very familiar with regex - maybe someone can give me some hint how to achieve this or do I really have to to rename all of my folders and create season subfolders and so on?

Thank you very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraping multi-episode TV Show DVD ISO or VIDEO_TS harddrive backup - is it possible?1