[LINUX] HP USB IR (MCE) Receiver with XBMC & ASRock 330 ION?
Question 
Hi All,

I would like to use my Logitech Harmony One to control XBMC under Ubuntu 9.04. However, I need a USB to IR receiver for it. I found a seller on eBay which is selling a bunch of HP USB-to-IR Media Center (MCE) receivers for $13.90 USD. I was wondering if this would work with my ASRock 330 ION? It would be a huge added bonus if this receiver is compatible with Wake-On-USB so I could program the "Power" button to put the ASRock 330 ION to sleep and wake it back up...

Anyone have any ideas or have this USB-to-IR receiver or should I be a guinea pig? Wink Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kermee
The setup you describe works under XBMC Live (I'm using it) but I've never tried it under Ubuntu/XBMC but no doubt there are instructions somewhere on the forum.

Under XBMC Live all you do is plug it in and it works, after that just add Xbox or media center extender to logitech software (XBMC will respond to either) and customize the buttons to your liking. The online manual shows what buttons do what.
should work fine with any mobo with a usb port. I bought one of those on e-bay recently, haven't tried it out, but it looks like a real HP device instead of a knock-off
Thumbs Up 
Starstream & wstewart,

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I'm going to order a couple now. Thanks!

Cheers,
Kermee
Can you post the url of the product/seller, please? I'm very interested on this IR RX!!
epyblast Wrote:Can you post the url of the product/seller, please? I'm very interested on this IR RX!!

Just do a search for "HP USB MCE" and you'll see them =) They all ship from HK/China though.

Cheers,
Kermee
Kermee Wrote:Just do a search for "HP USB MCE" and you'll see them =) They all ship from HK/China though.

Cheers,
Kermee

Thanks a lot! It's ordered now Wink
Thumbs Up 
epyblast Wrote:Thanks a lot! It's ordered now Wink

Excellent.

Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of the week or early next week. It shipped out last week. Looking forward to not being tethered by a wired keyboard to operate XBMC Wink

Cheers,
Kermee
I have a Logitech Harmony remote, but i'm thinking about get a Logitech diNovo (but it's so expensive...)
Yeah. Friend of mine uses a Logitech diNovo mini. I'd rather stick to my Harmony One. =)

Cheers,
Kermee
The mini version is what I want, of course! Smile
Can anyone confirm/deny that the hibernate (S3 or something) function of the Astock ION 330 still works with the eBay HP MCE remote?
I have read some posts about the Asrock not going into hibernate when the IR receiver is plugged into a usb port.

I want to use the remote to get the Asrock in and out of hibernation, using Linux (Ubuntu XBMC) and/or Windows 7.
BounceMeister Wrote:Can anyone confirm/deny that the hibernate (S3 or something) function of the Astock ION 330 still works with the eBay HP MCE remote?
I have read some posts about the Asrock not going into hibernate when the IR receiver is plugged into a usb port.

I want to use the remote to get the Asrock in and out of hibernation, using Linux (Ubuntu XBMC) and/or Windows 7.

I have had no problems with hibernation and sleep mode on my asrock 330 together with the HP MCE IR receiver. Works like a charm both under ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10.
Dont want to open a new thread and believe this is a very related question:

Anyone any experience how I can use my TV remote control (from a LG televison set) with an ASRock 330? What kind of USB dongle would I need to buy? Also, I have actually 2 USB IR receivers from wireless keyboards. Could they be usable?

My remote control is supported by LIRC, but no clue how/whether the USB receiver is.

Thanks for your help!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Starstream Wrote:The setup you describe works under XBMC Live (I'm using it) but I've never tried it under Ubuntu/XBMC but no doubt there are instructions somewhere on the forum.

Under XBMC Live all you do is plug it in and it works, after that just add Xbox or media center extender to logitech software (XBMC will respond to either) and customize the buttons to your liking. The online manual shows what buttons do what.

Thanks. Are you using your Harmony with the HP Media Receiver described above? If so, were you using LIRC at all or any other software? It feels that it worked for you without any software at all to get the "basics" working?

Anyone tried with his regular remote from his TV?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HP USB IR (MCE) Receiver with XBMC & ASRock 330 ION?0