DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 100% compatible UPnP Media Server in XBMC?
Question 
Is there any specific module or development required to use XBMC to display a video on a DLNA video renderer such as a DLNA certified screen (DLNA being based on UPNP)? What is possible now (and if so, how does it work) and what are the plans for the future? Could XBMC become 100% DLNA compatible?

ThanksBig Grin!
We are note a fully conformant dlna server, (ie we can't transcode content). That is not how xbmc is meant to be used anyhow, just hook your computer up to the tv..

We are however a dlna renderer ourself. So you can use windows 7's play to feature to play stuff in xbmc for example.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Could you please clarify how xbmc works with the DLNA system?

It can act as a server? But not transcode?

I've just got a DNLA tv but was previously using xbmc (xbox). In fact I'm still using it, because I like ot be able to play files from rar archives.

Can I use xbmc to achieve this somehow?

or (off-topic) - does anyone know a DNLA server for windows that will play from rar?

thanks
You can look at ps3mediaserver or serviio, but the only media server for rar's that I'm aware of is llink, and I don't think it is a dlna server.
The same way you did before.. hook up the xbox/computer to the tv.

using dlna streaming to your tv you will just loose quality
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus Wrote:using dlna streaming to your tv you will just loose quality

I don't understand why this will happen. If there is no transcoding involved (as stated before in this very thread) the quality should be similar, depending on the optimizing capabilities of each player...

Anyway. Even without the capabilities for transcoding my idea is to use XBMC as a UPNP server for various sets in my home (a DNLA capable samsung TV and a Popcorn hour player). The main reason to do that is to use the great library function of XBMC. I can have many media sources (disks) attached to the XBMC device (a macmini with XBMC for apple) o via network sources, and all of them mixed in the library. Then, in the UPNP clients, I can surf through the library using the same options as if I was using XBMC (by actor, year, title, etc). No more searching and navegating through hundreds of directories (I cannot beleable that any other media servers hasn't thought of this even when it's been working perfectly for music files).

But the problem I have now is that the clients detect perfectly the XBMC UPNP server and navigate through its content, but when I try to play it I get 2 possible errors:

* THe file tries to play and then fails (it even shows the buffering message, but I think it doesn't even buffers a single byte)
* I find an exclamation mark in from of the file (when using Popcorn) and it doesn't try to play it (as if it didn't recognize the file format)

The only thing I'm sure right now is that the media is playable in the UPNP clients when I use network file sharing (I mean I can play the same content when I locate them via SMB source, for example)

I have too many things yet to investigate including, but not limited to:

*File permissions (although I fill that if XBMC can access the files then the UPNP server inside XBMC should be able too and then be able to stream them through the network)
* File types involved. I have tested that music files and some videos play correctly so it can also be that the UPNP players can play only certain file types through UPNP (although not likely).
* Keep searching through this forum to see if more people is trying the same things and how are they progressing)

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jur.

PS. Sorry about my English. I didn't have a dictionary nearby and this message will probably hurt some feelings... forget me as my mother tongue language is not English.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

the upnp server feature is kinda dead, imo.
I have a dsm 320 that sees folders but cant play anything.
I assume you have to turn on the upnp feature in the settings and then import some content into the library? I was able to select one plugin and import data but there is only 2 listed. I did not see anyway to import any files off my drive

I decided to simply take an used computer and hook it up to the TV directly.
sdowney717 Wrote:the upnp server feature is kinda dead, imo.

I don't think dead is the word... It works fine for mp3 files from the music library.

I'm still without luck to make this work, but I don't loose my faith.

Chears,

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.

jurrabi:
Without transcoding, your TV won't accept half the content xbmc supports. dlna specifices a very limited set of types.

Also upnp server is far from dead.. I don't intend for it to die. It's only for our scanned content.

upnp requires quite a lot of metadata to be really usefull. And we are not a fileserver for all content, but we do serve all our scanned content.

elupus Wrote:jurrabi:
Without transcoding, your TV won't accept half the content xbmc supports. dlna specifices a very limited set of types.
That's a pitty. Know I understand why I couldn't make work some files that I know the TV supports directly... It's always better to read the full standards first.
Thanks for the clarification.

elupus Wrote:Also upnp server is far from dead.. I don't intend for it to die. It's only for our scanned content.
I never thought is would be. But I don't totally get what you mean by "only for our scanned content.
As I said in a previous post, what I really found great was the posibility to see via UPnP the XBMC's library. Much organized and richer that just the file systems...

elupus Wrote:upnp requires quite a lot of metadata to be really usefull. And we are not a fileserver for all content, but we do serve all our scanned content.

Keep the good work. And thanks again for the clarification.

Jur.

That other piece of the comment wasn't mean for you jurrabi it was meant for sdowney717 that said it was dead.

I hope this is the correct forum for this post...

My sony tablet is able to recognize XBMC and all of the content. However, when i try to play it says file is not DLNA compatible. I know XBMC is not meant to be a file server but i always understood DLNA as working very similarly to UPNP and xbmc does support that.

Does anyone have insight as to how i can stream video content from my media center to my sony tablet s. Preferably with the added meta data, cover art and synopsis that are used in XBMC.

XBMC(EDEN) running on windows 7 PC.
+1

On my Samsung DLNA certified TV I get to see all my series from the XBMC library nicely organized by Title / Genre / Actors etc, but I am unable to play the files.

I actually CAN properly play those same files on the same TV using the media server Serviio.

I understand though that XBMC is not meant to be used for it but it would just be so awesome to have this all in one great package. Keep up the good work guys.
My Pioneer VSX921 reciever finds the server but is not authorized to access it for some reason.
sialivi Wrote:My Pioneer VSX921 reciever finds the server but is not authorized to access it for some reason.

Siavili,

You have to authorize your receiver in Windows. I did it opening Windows Media Player and when you are in Library mode you will see the "Streaming" option up and left and mark the options there except for the one "...Internet" and verify in the option "More streaming options..." for your receiver and XBMC and others.

Adiós.

P.S. Sorry about my English.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 100% compatible UPnP Media Server in XBMC?0