XBMC Live 9.04.1 HD Install and mode2
Hello All,

I'm kind of wet behind the ears when it comes to linux but, I'm trying to catch on by searching and reading this forum. However, I have an issue with trying to get the "mode2" command to work so I can see what button presses my dongle (Xbox DVD Dongle converted to USB) is receiving from my Harmony 520.

I'm able to login to my console successfully and I can run "irw" with no problems and get the feed back from button presses on my remote that are in the lircd.conf. Now the remote and dongle are working flawlessly with the basic functions in XBMC but, I wanted to access more buttons that came with the remote layout (Universal up to 256 commands).

When I try to run "mode2" I get a Permission denied. Now before I ran "mode2" I attempted to kill daemon with this command:

"start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /dev/lircd -- --device=/dev/lirc0"
This command came back with: "No /dev/lircd found running: none killed."

So I went along and put in this command:
"mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0 -- raw"

It come back with "Permission Denied"

I have also tried: "sudo mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0 -- raw" but, it just says: "Device or resource busy."

Now can somebody please enlighten me on what I maybe am doing wrong because I would like to take advantage of my universal remote.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have searched for weeks for a solid answer
I guess it's because Lirc is already running so you will need to stop it first. To do this I think the command is:

sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop

When you're done you will need to restart lirc by replacing the stop with start.
That did it for me....

Thanks a lot!!

I've seen a lot of threads about which IR dongle/Remote to use with XBMC. I definitely would recommend using a XBOX DVD IR Dongle converted to USB with a universal remote. The dongle is cheap, you can get the XBOX DVD playback kit for less than five dollars shipped and the usb adapter cable for about $5.49 or less shipped (You can also make one yourself.)

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sk...d=45558813

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-Adapter-Cabl...851wt_1166

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live 9.04.1 HD Install and mode20