[Patch] Add Support for Movie Sets
I just submitted a pair patches adding support for movie sets. These patches add the necessary database and .nfo file support, as well as a "Sets" grouping in the movie overview screen. Eventually, I would like to get it where the "Titles" listing shows (optionally) any sets grouped instead of showing the individual movies from the sets. When you select a set, it takes you to a listing of the movies within the set. This will be pretty tricky to do with the way the views currently work, so I am open to suggestions on how this could be implemented.

You can view the patches and info here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7106. If one of the devs can take a look, I would love to see this included in SVN (and I know a lot of others would too).

Thanks,
Joel
great Smile
i waited a long time for this feature, hope it´ll be included quickly
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
If you kill off the multiple sets per movie thing then you could do it by altering the stacking routines.

With multiple sets per movie, it's more difficult, and in my opinion, far less useful.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:If you kill off the multiple sets per movie thing then you could do it by altering the stacking routines.

With multiple sets per movie, it's more difficult, and in my opinion, far less useful.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The changes were pretty straightforward until I got to sorting with multiple sets per movie. That complicated things quite a bit. The "Alien vs. Predator" crossover is the only example I can think of requiring multiple sets, but I am sure there are more out there.
And in that example, does set_sort_order != normal_sort_order ?

Normally the order just goes by what year the movie is released.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:And in that example, does set_sort_order != normal_sort_order ?

Normally the order just goes by what year the movie is released.

No, I don't think so. If you had a Predator set, Alien vs. Predator would end up at the top alphabetically. The sets could be sorted by year. I did a version that way. It is dead simple and seems to work well. Maybe that is the answer. Except for Star Wars where the first three were 25 years after the last three.
But in which way does George Lucas want you to view them :p

First off, thanks for this feature guys! Will be looking forward to a stable build with this in it shortly.

The question i have is about how to get the set info into the database without wiping out the scraped info?

Will a .nfo file like

<movie>
<set>The Lord of the Rings</set>
</movie>

accomplish this? or do I need to specify a URL as well? I've looked at the nfo wiki but it wasn't clear if I am able to augment the scraped info with my own set info without having to specify an explicit URL. some thing like http://www.themoviedb.com/.

I dont want to have to specify the exact url for each of the movies, this is a bit of pain. I was hoping the nfo and scraped xml could be merged, but reading some other posts on the subject it doesn't appear that this the behavior which is fair enough.

Thanks
I would just export the library as individual files. That will write all of the current info to the nfo. Then, add the set info, remove the videos from the database and re-add that path. If you have is save all of the images during the export, it won't have to download anything new. It is a pretty fast process.
maybe include an <order> tag so an explicit order can be set, but by default sort by year?
Go read the discussion here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=14476&page=14
starting at comment #139. Summary: It was originally written this way, but it was overly complicated from a coding perspective and deemed unnecessary.
Joel
joel, could you be convinced / arsed into adding the code necesssary to do sets from the gui? xml only is a bit too restrictive for my likings
IMO such a thing could/should be done via the info dialog. We don't have the support for editing the set there though (and as it currently is, it'd be skin dependent). Perhaps the code to add it via the context menu won't be too much though.

As I see it we'd need three functions for remote-friendliness.

1. Add an existing set.
2. Add a new set.
3. Remove a set (you can have each movie in more than one sets...)

1 + 2 could be done with a select dialog, with "add new set" as an option.
3 could be done with a select dialog as well.

Not sure I like that design - any better ones?

Cheers,
Jonathan

for what it's worth its exactly what i had in mind as well
Yeah, that shouldn't be too big of a deal to add. I had thought about it previously, but since my context menu button for adding a sorttitle was rejected, I thought this wasn't the way to go. I agree that editing from the info screen would be nice, but that functionality doesn't exist at all at present and it is more than I am willing/able to tackle.

So, just to be clear, I will add three buttons:
"Add to Set"
"Add to New Set"
"Remove from Set"
to the context menu for movies.

Joel

P.S. @jmarshall - if you are willing now to add more context menu buttons, could I also submit a patch for the "Edit Sorttitle" which I put together. It is analogous to the "Edit Title" which already exists. I have it in my personal build and find it to be very handy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Patch] Add Support for Movie Sets0