VDPAU HQ Upscaling
bump
Am I correct that VDPAU upscaling has been completely removed? Looking through the source code, LinuxRendererGL does not even recognize it as an option (as it looks for RenderMethod instead of g_VDPAU), and even when this is fixed, the codepath for VDPAU upscaling is the same as with no upscaling.

I can't find a commit in Trac where VDPAU Upscaling was pulled (and the logic behind the decision). Why was it removed? Was it due to stability issues or is there work to be done to fix it? Do you need volunteers? I replaced a 8400GS with a GT210 in hopes of better SD h264 playback only to find upscaling dropped.
Question 
I wonder why this is not being answered?
Hi,

I use xbmc on ubuntu 9.10 karmic. I use nvidia GT210 graphic card and it works well with vdpau renderer. I set the "VDPAU HQ upscaling" and "VDPAU Studio level colour conversion" and it works great in 9.11 beta1 but after I upgraded to stable 9.11 Camelot the "VDPAU HQ upscaling" option was disappeared from the GUI. I looked after this setting in the gusettings.xml and I found in the <videoplayer> section as well with the correct set (<vdpauupscalinglevel>true</vdpauupscalinglevel>). I made a probe and I deleted the guisettings.xml then restart the xbmc. Th xbmc recreated the file and filled with the default settings I can see the settings remained in the <videoplayer> section with default false set. So I am totally confused.

Which one is the true?

1. the vdpau hq upscaling is working always independently of any settings
2. the vdpau hq upscaling is working depend on the setting vdpauupscalinglevel that is the guisettings.xml but this setting is unreachable from the gui
3. the vdpau hq upscaling is absolutely not working
3) is the closest. It was disabled for Camelot.

When either I find some time (or if elupus finds he needs to scratch the itch) it'll get fixed up. Enabling the upscaling is a relatively small change, it was only disabled because we didn't (at the time) have the ability to test if the feature was supported on a particular user's hardware.
motd2k,
Thanks for the update.

XBMC Rocks!
motd2k Wrote:3) is the closest. It was disabled for Camelot.

Thank you for your prompt answer!

Bads new for me because the quality of the picture is the most important thing for me. I didn't use the gpu playing before because the quality of the picture doesn't have enough good for me with gpu playing. When I tried first with vdpau hq quality scaling I changed my mind and I totally switched to the vdpau because it was very good. I replaced my nvidia GT9400 to GT210 for the better vdpau features. So now that best vdpau feature is disabled. I remember it worked well in the beta 1.

I is possible to get back to the earlier version?

I am computer programmer but I am rookie in the linux a bit.

Sorry for my terrible English.
I've added this back in r26477. There is no GUI option now; if you card supports it, it will use it.

You can tell if its being used by checking your logfile for a line containing "VDPAU HQ upscaling". 0 means it isn't using it, 1 means it is using it.

motd
Sorry for the total newb question -

To install r26477 do I follow the instructions in the README.linux located in http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk, or run
svn co http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk

and if I'm running XBMCLive does that make a difference?
Have a search on updating XBMClive to SVN (and dont blame me if things break!!)
motd2k Wrote:I've added this back in r26477. There is no GUI option now; if you card supports it, it will use it.

You can tell if its being used by checking your logfile for a line containing "VDPAU HQ upscaling". 0 means it isn't using it, 1 means it is using it.

motd

Ok, It's clear! I am happy! I'll check my log file.

Thanks a lot!
I see the r26477 is later then the r26018 for camelot, so this update is not in the repository now and not in the camelot. If I want to use xbmc with vdpau hq scaling I nedd to check it from the svn and compile or I can wait for the next release. Fortunatelly, I made a binary save from my htpc system with xbmc beta1 and it has the vdpau hq scaling. I'll restore it temporary and I am waiting for the next release.
Does anybody know when there will be the first nettops with a "feature set c" card onboard? I really would like to buy a nettop, but I am waiting for the new ones with "feature set c" Laugh

@ motd2k
Do you think there will be a solution for stable HQ upscaling in the near future? If not, I would have no use of a "feature set c" card Blush
sylvio2000 Wrote:Does anybody know when there will be the first nettops with a "feature set c" card onboard? I really would like to buy a nettop, but I am waiting for the new ones with "feature set c" Laugh

@ motd2k
Do you think there will be a solution for stable HQ upscaling in the near future? If not, I would have no use of a "feature set c" card Blush

See the post I made above ;-P
@ motd2k

Yes I know that you have it activated again, but it sounds to me as if it is not stable enough in your opinion. Wink
Am I wrong with this presumption? Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU HQ Upscaling0