[MAC] aTV + Xbmc questions (noob!)
Hello.
After browsing the web for a couple of hours I've made up my mind, so today I ordered myself a Apple TV (It looks so wank'a'licious ^^).
On that matter, I found you guys <3 Xbmc looks even more *drool*.
So, I kinda have a couple of questions, and do mind me beeing a total noob in this.
All the help is welcome =)
(Yes, I've read some on the wiki siteTongue)

1. aTV + Xbmc + External HD = True? (I do not own a MAC)
2. Is there any ways to make the aTV go Full HD? Like with linux etc? O_o
3. Does Xbmc + aTV offer any good Emulator for Snes etc? With UI? (I've seen some videoes on youtube with it, but not on aTV)
4. Can you use the remote that comes with aTV to do everything (normal stuff!) on xbmc?
5. Is all of this hard? XD I mean, getting imbd.com to synch with movies, get youtube, internet browser, and all other fancy stuff..

Oh, if you got your hands on some nice (but not too g33ky) reads about all of this, its much appreciated. Along with tutorials.
(Found some tut's on the wiki and a real nice one for using MAC, but not windows >_< [Got vista64bit] )

All help is welcomed with big 'n cold hugs from Norway.

-Thanks
1) http://dannyruchtie.nl/index.php/2009/07...-tutorial/

2) 1080 hd not yet but perhaps in the future with additional hardware addon, linux can be installed, but its apparently not as good as leaving the default atv OS.

3) there is no emulaters for xbmc, but there are some additional stuff that can be installed after using the patchstick and ran from the atv menu.

4) yea pretty much, there is a little bit better remote config available than the default also.

5) once you get the patch stick made, getting xbmc running is pure simple, and it works the same as any other xbmc.

check here and google for apple tv hacks and you will find much info

http://www.appletvhacks.net/
Thats a good tutorial to use. I just hacked one for the first time and all the info is there.

Make sure you download this file too. I thought the flash creator downloaded it on its own.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=403949&postcount=3
TeknoJnky Wrote:1) http://dannyruchtie.nl/index.php/2009/07...-tutorial/

Yeah, thats the one I've seen, but thats only for MAC ? Using MAC to create the stick I mean.

Ow, another question: atv dosnt support NTSC? Or does it "read-only"? Whats recommended then o0
Since, I guess imbd.com for example , will store some data on your drive, so NTSC will probally stop that from happening? Or does it automatically go to the pre-installed harddrive?

Big thanks to both of you <3
I assume you mean NTFS for your ext drive.

Duno, I stream from my nas to atv over ethernet, I don't really see a point of connecting/disconnecting an external drive all the time.
Why not just have it plugged in all the time? ^^ hehe.
Yes. Ntfs XD Just read another post where a guy said the same mistake as I.
Majiinfreddy Wrote:Yeah, thats the one I've seen, but thats only for MAC ? Using MAC to create the stick I mean.

Ow, another question: atv dosnt support NTSC? Or does it "read-only"? Whats recommended then o0
Since, I guess imbd.com for example , will store some data on your drive, so NTSC will probally stop that from happening? Or does it automatically go to the pre-installed harddrive?

Big thanks to both of you <3

The atvcreator page has the same software for Windows too.
I'm just going to throw another question out here, incase one of you helpfull souls knows =)

Emulators on atv;
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Emulation
Seems easy ? or is it?
So if that dosnt work, do you got a link maybe? ^^

Onward!
I want a GOOD controller on my "snes", I HAaaaaate 8-ways-Dpad.
So I found a ps2\usb converter -> "Gametech PS2 to PS3/PC Control converter"
My Question is then, Will this work togheter with a Ps2 controller ON the ATV?! Tongue

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks <3
Bump.

Another question got up! Tongue

Does Xbmc have a built-in internet browser? Like Safari-HD?
Or will it turn off the xmbc and then start a internet browser?
xbmc does not have a browser, but there is an addon I think you can install via the nito tv. I haven't used it, browsing on the tv is over-rated for the most part.
So. Thats bring me to another question.
After running the patchstick, you can install stuff and use an external harddrive.
Does that mean you can copy your movies over to the harddrive and just use the aTV's original software to do all I have planed? Tongue
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks
you can copy stuff to the atv hardrive, I don't the limitations of the built in software, but I would assume it could work if they were compatible file formats.

I don't know if it would require using itunes to add it to the built-in 'frontrow' library or not.

the 'nito tv' add on thats available after installing the patchstick menu, can basically play most of same type of stuff that xbmc can play, its basically a different media player front end. You will need to research more on nito tv yourself if you want to know more about it.

I just use xbmc so far, and it can play local files or streamed via network etc just like xbmc for xbox/windows/linux.
So basically, nitotv and xbmc is the same?
And they wont be built-into each other?

Thanks alot for answering =))
xbmc and nito tv are not the same, but there is overlap in their functionality.

on the appletv it works like this:

patchstick jailbreaks the atv and installs the additional menu items:

xbmc
boxie
along with various scripts and settings
and lets you download/install optional components like nito tv

all of which are completely separate from xbmc itself, which is exactly the same as all the other xbmc, no more no less. If you can/can't do it on windows/linux/xbox, you can/can't do it on apple tv.

all of the original atv menus and functionality is still there as well, so by using patchstick you get original atv, xbmc, boxie, + other optional stuff such as nito tv.
Then for another question, I tried reading for it but.. Tongue
Whats the difference in xbmc, nitotv and boxie then? Oo

Cause I though, Xbmc = Mediacenter, Boxie = The "hack" which allows you to install stuff. NitoTV = The "mediaplayer" with emulators.

Thanks again <3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] aTV + Xbmc questions (noob!)0