Any idea how to implement a "browsing by letter" navigation?
Question 
as we are expanding aeon showmix, we came to the idea (i know, might not be a new one) we would like to be able to browse libraries by beginning letters. This would be very handy for huge libraries.

2 ways come into my mind:

1. assigning 2 keys to the keyboard or remote, that jump forward/backwards in alphabet.

technically it would skip any entry with the same letter currently displayed (like you are at "apocalypto", keypress jumps to first entry beginning with "B")

2. bringing the keyboard dialog up, asking to type a letter you would like to jump on. when selected, you "jump" directly to the first entry that begins with that letter.

do you see any chance of implemeting this without the need to use external scripts to do the database queries needed for such an action?

or do you have another idea how this can be done?
cheers,azido :;):
1. Map a key to NextLetter and PrevLetter.

2. SHIFT-letter already jumps through the list, as does JumpSMS2-9, which are now mapped by default.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:1. Map a key to NextLetter and PrevLetter.

2. SHIFT-letter already jumps through the list, as does JumpSMS2-9, which are now mapped by default.

Cheers,
Jonathan

wow, great! Big Grin

seems i missed NextLetter/Prevletter. can they be assigned to be used as actions triggered by buttons on screen, too?
In general, everything can. The problem is you need to first set focus to the other control then fire it off, so at least 2 onclicks (3 if you want to restore back to the other control).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:In general, everything can. The problem is you need to first set focus to the other control then fire it off, so at least 2 onclicks (3 if you want to restore back to the other control).

Cheers,
Jonathan

ok.

the only thing left is: i cannot find any information about NextLetter/PrevLetter in wiki - simply not added to wiki, only available in svn versions greater 22516, or did i miss something?

thanks for your answers, as always.

edit: ok, found info about that in timeline and saw it is included for a long time already.
so, binding keys like this

<pageup>NextLetter</pgup>
<pagedown>PrevLetter</pagedown>

in keyboard.xml works like a charm.
expanding on this idea further how about having the ability to actively search by letter similar to the manner in which mobile phone books work. this could be done by using the number keys on a remote, whenever a list is presented it could be possible to jump to the desired choice by keying in the letters i.e if i wanted to jump to "fringe" in my tv shows listing i would key in the f and then the r via 3 presses of the number 3 and 3 of the number 7, this would then jump to fringe in the list. obviously this would need to be implemented with a timer so that it would be easy for xbmc to distinguish between a continuation of the existing search and a new search all together.
tungmeister Wrote:expanding on this idea further how about having the ability to actively search by letter similar to the manner in which mobile phone books work. this could be done by using the number keys on a remote, whenever a list is presented it could be possible to jump to the desired choice by keying in the letters i.e if i wanted to jump to "fringe" in my tv shows listing i would key in the f and then the r via 3 presses of the number 3 and 3 of the number 7, this would then jump to fringe in the list. obviously this would need to be implemented with a timer so that it would be easy for xbmc to distinguish between a continuation of the existing search and a new search all together.

this is already implemented, it's called JUMPSMS.

bind keys to your numbers 2-9 like

<2>JUMPSMS2</2>
<3>JUMPSMS3</3>

and so on. you get the idea.

edit: found out xbmc is really flexible in keybindings, as you can define different actions triggered by your remote keys based on where you are at in xbmc. in example, you could use JUMPSMS whenever you are in a library window, but use different actions for keys 2-9 when outside.

cool stuff Wink
i can't get jumpsms to work, maybe i'm missing something but i've edited my remote config so that the numbers equate to smsjump in the eventghost py file yet the number keys do nothing on lists.
@Tùng...

I think you need to add your code to the keymap.xml
jmarshall Wrote:2. SHIFT-letter already jumps through the list, as does JumpSMS2-9, which are now mapped by default.

SHIFT-letter is great - I wasn't aware of this. But there is a bug in how it works - if you press T, it jumps to the next "The", even if that's actually in a different letter due to ignoring articles for sorting, rather than to the first actual "T"...
benzo8 Wrote:SHIFT-letter is great - I wasn't aware of this. But there is a bug in how it works - if you press T, it jumps to the next "The", even if that's actually in a different letter due to ignoring articles for sorting, rather than to the first actual "T"...

That sounds like a bug. Have you reported it yet?
No point - I fixed it a while back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any idea how to implement a "browsing by letter" navigation?0