• 5(current)
High CPU Usage on SVN Build
The git repo is in sync within 4 minutes.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:The git repo is in sync within 4 minutes.

TheUni

I get the same problem in 9.11a2, anyone know if the patch mentioned in here is in that version?

// S
Still having the same problem too.
Upgraded to 9.11a2 from the PPAs but nothing is fixed, CPU load 98%.
Setup: Ubuntu 9.10, P4, nvidia FX5700 driver 173.14.20.
It looks like the PPAs were last built 4 days ago, so they may not have the patch yet
theduff Wrote:It looks like the PPAs were last built 4 days ago, so they may not have the patch yet

I did compile from repository yesterday on my ubuntu 9.04 but still got the same issue. Anyone know if I need to uninstall the PPA packages before doing the "make install" to be sure I run the respository version?
I just checked out the last svn (24684 at this time) and the patch is NOT in there (at least not the one supplied by skuller). So everyone can keep trying to get it working at this time, but of course it will still not work until there is an actual patch/fix/workaround in the repository. Although , you could just manually apply the patch if you really can't wait Wink
XyLo Wrote:I just checked out the last svn (24684 at this time) and the patch is NOT in there (at least not the one supplied by skuller). So everyone can keep trying to get it working at this time, but of course it will still not work until there is an actual patch/fix/workaround in the repository. Although , you could just manually apply the patch if you really can't wait Wink

I guess im gonna wait, anyone know how long there is between tha alfa versions, maybe we will get this into the next alfa build.
With a little help from topfs2, I found an(other) issue in XBMC that causes 100% CPU usage on one core (at least for me). It is caused by the Event
Server, and I filed a ticket here.
Hi all,

I've also got some troubles with high cpu usage and xbmc.
Last week I installed it on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) but xbmc uses 100% cpu on one core. The other core is idle.

I first ran it with an onboard ati hd3200. I've also tried it with an nvidia 8600gs. But both have the same problem. Booting the xbmc livecd (9.04 release) with an ati card failed. But with the nvidia it worked. If I look at the livecd it's using around 16%cpu on one core. So that's much better!

I've tried the xbmc version from the repos, the svn version and the svn tag "9.04.1_Babylon-linux-osx-win32". All have the same high cpu usage.

So it seems to have something to do with the Ubuntu version. When I run powertop I see "hrtimer_start_range_ns" using almost all the cpu time.

I've also tried fidling with vsync and applied the patch to xbmc/RenderSystemGL.cpp but both didn't work.

I don't know what could be the problem. Anyone got an idea?
Any idea if any fixes took place in 9.11beta1? havent had the opportunity to test yet...
LeonB Wrote:Hi all,

I've also got some troubles with high cpu usage and xbmc.
Last week I installed it on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) but xbmc uses 100% cpu on one core. The other core is idle.

I first ran it with an onboard ati hd3200. I've also tried it with an nvidia 8600gs. But both have the same problem. Booting the xbmc livecd (9.04 release) with an ati card failed. But with the nvidia it worked. If I look at the livecd it's using around 16%cpu on one core. So that's much better!

I've tried the xbmc version from the repos, the svn version and the svn tag "9.04.1_Babylon-linux-osx-win32". All have the same high cpu usage.

So it seems to have something to do with the Ubuntu version. When I run powertop I see "hrtimer_start_range_ns" using almost all the cpu time.

I've also tried fidling with vsync and applied the patch to xbmc/RenderSystemGL.cpp but both didn't work.

I don't know what could be the problem. Anyone got an idea?

Do you know which Nvidia drivers it's running on the livecd vs the install?

I'm running the current PPA build on 8.04 with the same issue - which was also present on an 18 month old SVN build.

The behaviour you've described may be attributable to this Karmic bug.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for thinking along! Last night I found the problem. I ran xbmc as root and it suddenly worked! I copied the config of root to my own user and ran it as me: didn't work Sad

I browsed throught the settings of XBMC to find any differences and I saw that when running xbmc as root that the sound configuration was different.
Because I knew pulseaudio caused a lot of problems I killed it and ran xbmc under my own user again and it worked! No more cpu hogging but also no sound Sad

After a lot of trying, searching and browsing I believed it had to do something with the audio over hdmi. I read somewhere (xbmcfreak.nl I believe) that he used the radeaonhd driver instead of the radeon driver. I read on the X.org wiki that radeonhd has support for audio over hdmi and radeon has not.

So I switched to radeonhd and it seems to work for now: sound + no 100% cpu. I'll have a better look at it tonight because when I got it working last night it was way past my bedtime Smile
I'm pretty sure i tried the 9.11 beta to see if it was fixed but couldn't get it to compile at the time. I got the source code from the svn or the git and had the same problem still, but I don't know if the patch was applied yet. I'm getting the source right now and hoping the patch is applied. I'm using the git clone git://xbmc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/xbmc/xbmc

Which I believe I read that it was fixed on there. If I still have issue I'll let you all know Smile

--edit--
I still had the problem on the beta 1 ppa
I'm gonna try to compile the source code now.
--edit2--
ok i donno why i couldn't get it to compile before posting asking for help. i'll get it from the svn.
I still had the slowdown issue. I had not got a chance to upload my log till today.
XBMC Log

when running it from console I get this output.
Code:
WARNING: Unhandled message: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable, path=/, member=Introspect
CRITSEC[0x8af9f84]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8af9f84]: Trying to leave destroyed section.

1. "Latest" is NOT a revision, of ANYTHING! (See below)
2. Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 9.10
3. Architecture: i686
4. Install Method: Using make from the SVN. I didn't make install I just ran from the folder with the source. I just followed the ubuntu and linux directions in the readme's.
5. SVN Revision: Built on Nov 27 2009 (SVN:25092)
6. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem:
I ran the program and it was un-usable-ly slow. I pushed Left once and pushed enter till the program exits. It takes a bit, but the screen eventually responds.
7. FULL Debug Log: I got that above ^^^^
8. Backtrace: didn't crash.
9. Compiler Output: finally got it to compile I spent a few hours on it. Gave me some issues when i got the source from GIT and not the SVN eventhough the source is supposed to be the same.

Skin name: What ever the new default one is called it was on the home page..... Confluence

Video Card: Geforce FX 5500.
Video Driver: nvidia-glx-173 173.14.20-0ubuntu5 (lagacy driver, nvidia's newer drivers don't support the old cards like mine.)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz
RAM: 1 GB of DDR (not sure what speed)
Hallo,

I have exactly the same Problem here, with my ION 330 it works very well, but not with a System P4 HT 3,6 GHz and Nvidia Geforce 5 Graphic.

Here my lspci of the Graphic:

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV36 [GeForce PCX 5750] (rev a2)

Greetings

Simpel
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU Usage on SVN Build0