Home Networking Help
Not really sure where I should have posted this, so sorry in advance if this is the wrong place. It seemed like the most fitting.

I recently had a house built with my wife, and have AT&T Uverse. Because of how the house is wired the modem/router had to be placed in the upstairs master bedroom.

I have a computer downstairs in our study, two rooms away is the great room, which has four gaming systems and an XBMC, one more XBMC up in the bedroom. Then we have three laptops, two iPhones, and probably other random things that I've forgotten. All use wireless.

Problem with this is that it sometimes will overload the connection and it has to be reset. I've talked to countless AT&T people about this and even had the tech manager out to my house, and he confirms that it is impossible to move the stuff from the bedroom due to wiring, and that the only solution is to wire as many devices as possible.

Problem with this is that they are all far away and running wires to them is impossible.

Anyone know a good (simple?) way to fix this? How do you wire devices in a house that just is too spread out to actually wire stuff? Huh
Look into the power line networking products. That may help...
if it is a single family home, you can try the latest powerline adapter. I'm using linksys with 200mbps and it's 4-port adapter version. it's enough for my directv hddvr, htpc, ps3 and network avr. it can do internet streaming hd (netflix, vudu, youtube, etc), music and 720p video flawless. it is not good for bd 1080p with dts-hd/truehd file though.

you can try the latest 500mbps version. it might be able to stream 1080p with dts-hd/truehd files this adapter- D-Link DHP-540 Powerline.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109722 follow this for improving wireless
I could never get my 200Mbps powerlines to even hit 10Mbps thou my wiring is very old in some parts of the house
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

TrendNet Powerline AV adapter (200Mbps) works for me.
*Dont read the instruction
Just plug it in the wall socket where you need it.
Plug one at your router, then plug other(s) at a wall socket where you need a network connection

I have noticed it is more like 60Mbps not 200Mpbs
(About 5.7 megabytes a second)
atari800 Wrote:TrendNet Powerline AV adapter (200Mbps) works for me.
*Dont read the instruction
Just plug it in the wall socket where you need it.
Plug one at your router, then plug other(s) at a wall socket where you need a network connection

I have noticed it is more like 60Mbps not 200Mpbs
(About 5.7 megabytes a second)
you'll never get anywhere near the manufacture spec, unless you have a very small home with short circuit.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
yeah... true
maybe if on same powerstrip.... still my 100Mbit ethernet adapter would limit it

Also for the record, mine is on 2 separate circuits
#1 is plugged in at Hub in guestroom where I am building new "green" media server
#2 is in livingroom connected to apple tv 1

bad guess on distance...
maybe 60 meters roundtripHuhHuh??

Actually it is not that bad. I have several wireless n routers around the house and although I have good signal, I do compete with other neighbors changing their channels and also the encyption does take a performance hit.

I need to run some more tests but I do like these powerline adapters.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Networking Help0