Did Skype integration just become easier for Linux?
Smile 
Please see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...&px=NzY2Mw
Big Grin

Even it the Skype protocol remains closed (dynamic library perhaps?) my interpretation of these news is that with a open-source client is should now be possible to move that into XBMC, no? Huh
sure. but why.
Smile

Well...the WAF for one thing. Also having a HTPC connected to TV gives big screen, a sofa to sit in and a good sound system. Add a webcam ontop of the TV and using the system to call grandparents with the kids on sat/sun mornings become easy. No crowding in front of the screen etc. The livingroom is sort of the center of the home, would make sense to have this functionality there. At least to me.

And no, I'm not asking someone else to implement it. Wink Just wanted to know if devs agree that it would then be possible...
Sounds vaguely like the chatting with friends part of MS's Project Natal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U

I don't use skype or a webcam, but it does seem like a pretty nifty idea.
FreddyAV Wrote:Smile

*snip* having a HTPC connected to TV gives big screen, a sofa to sit in and a good sound system. Add a webcam ontop of the TV and using the system to call grandparents with the kids on sat/sun mornings become easy. No crowding in front of the screen etc. The livingroom is sort of the center of the home, would make sense to have this functionality there. At least to me. *snip*

I'm interested in this as wel. If anyone is considering to work on this I like to help out (my C++ is strong but my python needs to crack its egg first...).

Ekiga could be a nice alternative having a backend and being available for linux, mac and vvindow$?
definitely aim for cross platform
tmpdir Wrote:I'm interested in this as wel. If anyone is considering to work on this I like to help out (my C++ is strong but my python needs to crack its egg first...).

Ekiga could be a nice alternative having a backend and being available for linux, mac and vvindow$?

Does not look like anyone is interested in my offer, but to be save: I'm postponing my offer with 4 to 6 week... just took on a other project.
tmpdir Wrote:Does not look like anyone is interested in my offer, but to be save: I'm postponing my offer with 4 to 6 week... just took on a other project.

TeamXBMC devs are very busy right now with bug fixes to alpha1 for the push to release. Everything is in feature freeze.
Skype integration would be awesome, my family would really like this. +1 !!
would be great. my best friend is in afghanistan and skype is the only reason we can still talk on a regular basis
davilla Wrote:TeamXBMC devs are very busy right now with bug fixes to alpha1 for the push to release. Everything is in feature freeze.

ok
migueld Wrote:Skype integration would be awesome, my family would really like this. +1 !!
Same here! I think it would be a natural extension of XBMC as a living room "hub", not "just" an (awesome) media player. I already have a PS3 with the "eye" camera connected for sofa-to-sofa video conferences with other PS3-owning friends, and a laptop with skype on it.

Basic integration of Skype into XBMC would allow me to pause music/video if there's an incoming call, as well as sexing up the contact list GUI and allow me to initiate a call without exiting XBMC and reaching for keyboard/mouse...

If anyone else agrees with this, also check out these threads, where possible approaches to XBMC-Skype integration have been discussed (and, it seems, largely dismissed):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39371
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52124
extrospection Wrote:Same here! I think it would be a natural extension of XBMC as a living room "hub", not "just" an (awesome) media player. I already have a PS3 with the "eye" camera connected for sofa-to-sofa video conferences with other PS3-owning friends, and a laptop with skype on it.

Basic integration of Skype into XBMC would allow me to pause music/video if there's an incoming call, as well as sexing up the contact list GUI and allow me to initiate a call without exiting XBMC and reaching for keyboard/mouse...

If anyone else agrees with this, also check out these threads, where possible approaches to XBMC-Skype integration have been discussed (and, it seems, largely dismissed)

Yes! Basic skype integration into XBMC is great since it allows pausing music/video if theres an incoming call and it allows you to initiate calls without exiting XBMC!
I checked out those other threads too. THANKS!
+1 this idea.
justpeachy Wrote:Yes! Basic skype integration into XBMC is great since it allows pausing music/video if theres an incoming call and it allows you to initiate calls without exiting XBMC!
I checked out those other threads too. THANKS!

Skype would definitely boost XBMC because a lot of people prefer to see their family in HD on a huge plasma instead of sitting with 4 people around a laptop at the table. I realize that nog everybody has family around the world but it is still a very nice addon to this platform. I created already two future accounts for Skype on my appletv boxes

+ 100 ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Did Skype integration just become easier for Linux?1