• 3(current)
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?
How do I format my .xsessionrc file to include the additions mentioned in vorwrath's post?

My file already has some text in it, which I do not understand. Do I simple copy and paste the additions into the file before the text that is already there?
Sponge Wrote:How do I format my .xsessionrc file to include the additions mentioned in vorwrath's post?

My file already has some text in it, which I do not understand. Do I simple copy and paste the additions into the file before the text that is already there?

You should just be able to paste them at the bottom of the file.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, earlier today I gave up with this remote and packaged it up ready to return to Amazon. Confused

I'll monitor people's progress with this remote and might buy it again one day, if someone works out how to get most of the buttons working. I just don't have the time or expertise to do it myself. Sad

In the meantime, the Wii remote will suffice. Nod
I bought this remote yesterday and tried the stuff suggested but been a bit of a noob to mce remotes I got nowhere Sad i stumbled across some software though called intelliremote, had to pay but totally worth it in my opinion. A great GUI with a profile for xbmc, you can choose the function then select a key on the remote to use and it remembers it. Got loads of buttons working now, rewind, fast forward, turn subtitles on and off etc. Anything that wasn't on there i looked on the xbmc wiki at the global keyboard shortcuts page and added them myself. Really easy to use, only 24 dollars i think so 16 pound if your in the uk like me. In my opinion really worth it but decide for yourself. Also has profiles for other software, plus you can create your own.
liam5729 Wrote:I bought this remote yesterday and tried the stuff suggested but been a bit of a noob to mce remotes I got nowhere Sad i stumbled across some software though called intelliremote, had to pay but totally worth it in my opinion. A great GUI with a profile for xbmc, you can choose the function then select a key on the remote to use and it remembers it. Got loads of buttons working now, rewind, fast forward, turn subtitles on and off etc. Anything that wasn't on there i looked on the xbmc wiki at the global keyboard shortcuts page and added them myself. Really easy to use, only 24 dollars i think so 16 pound if your in the uk like me. In my opinion really worth it but decide for yourself. Also has profiles for other software, plus you can create your own.

fantastic piece of software, however thats only for machines running windows and not linux (as this is particular forum is for linux)

Big Grin
reddevilmeuk Wrote:fantastic piece of software, however thats only for machines running windows and not linux (as this is particular forum is for linux)

Big Grin

ah sorry my bad, i'm new to the forum haha, apologies Big Grin
I have the same Emprex remote and works great. most buttons will work out of the box, but the main button that didn't work was the 'back' button.

for those interested in doing this themselves (on xbmc live (on linux)), you will need to login to your XBMC machine with an FTP client using your "root" login. you can find a guide to do so in these forums too.
basically, if you don't have the ".xsessionrc" file in your "<root>/home/xbmc/" folder, just create one.
you can create the file by making a new file using your FTP client. ensure the file name is typed out correctly. Once the file is made put the command lines in:
these are the ones i used (same as before but with the tweak that was also mentioned):

xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 166 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = Space"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = s"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 175 = c"

if you're unable to create the file, you can download a copy of it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1292804/.xsessionrc
then just copy the file over into your directory.

the directory again is:
"<root>/home/xbmc/"
I also put a duplicate in:
"<root>/home/"

The button I'd personal like to change next if the "info" button. The remote already accepts the info button and brings up the show information, but i'd like to change it to bring up the context menu instead. This would really help the functionality of the remote.

if anyone figures out the keycode number for the info button, please post it so we can all know and update the command lines above.

hope this post helped. Smile
I got annoyed that I didn't have enough active buttons on my Emprex remote to see the codec info when a movie was playing OR to swap between the OSD (any XBMC menu) and FullScreen video with no OSD.
So I've changed my keymap for my keyboard to change the behavor of buttons once I'm in FullScreen video playback.

I created a keyboard.xml - note my Xbmc config/data files live in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
        <play_pause>FullScreen</play_pause>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
<FullscreenVideo>
        <keyboard>
                <c>CodecInfo</c>
        </keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>
<visualisation>
        <keyboard>
                <c>CodecInfo</c>
        </keyboard>
</visualisation>
</keymap>

This now means that my 'Record' button now will bring up the 'ContextMenu' when in the Xbmc menus but when I'm playing a video, it brings up the Codec info so I can see dropped frames, video orignal resolution etc.

It also changes what the 'Play' button does. Since I don't really need the play button as both the Play and Pause buttons do kinda the same thing.
I've kept the Pause button standard, but have changed the 'Play' button to allow me to swap between the Xbmc menu system and the playing video.

Now makes my Linux/HTPC based Xbmc experience 99% of it was when I was using my old Xbox1 with the Xbox1 DVD remote Nod

Hope that helps someone
I have done alot of research and testing on various remotes (Bluetooth, ir based, and various RF models) on my revo and finally settled on this one. Its cheap £15, bios recognises as a standard keyboard so you can use for multi boot menus etc.

As people have mentioned many buttons don't work straight away this is because the creator of the remote is using non standard codes which the linux kernel does not recognise. Several buttons can be remapped using xmodmap. However this method won't get the big green button working.

To get that working you need to patch the linux kernel. MCE development work on the linux kernel is a fairly low priority but hopefully it will all get moved to udev within this year and things will work normally (one coder stuck it in as a new years resolution but how often do we stick to those Tongue)

The patch is meant to get all the buttons working but it only gives the green button, the pictures button, the dvd menu button and one other I can't remember in addition to what we already have. I may fiddle with the patch a bit to try to improve it to get the rest working when I'm not busy.

I've created a standard debian/ubuntu package of the kernel (to save you the trouble of patching) and will post it when I get home tonight along with my .xsessionrc, and keymod map plus more details as I can't remember precisely. Certainly I would not recommend compiling on a kernel on an Atom cpu!

The button layout I decided to go with the following, mostly for comfort reasons as my fingers are trained to the old xbox remote.

Pause button = Goes to main menu (u don't need pause as play button does same thing)
Green button = toggle gui (like big button at top of xbox remote)
I button = remapped to by context menu as is more comfortable
My pictures = codec info
dvd menu button = file information.
thanks crispy2. can't wait to see the results.

without a button for the context menu, I've had to restart the machine in order to run a library update. your patch would save a lot of trouble.
Emailed the info to myself as website down last night.[Correction seems to be Tiscali/talktalk dns issues with this site]

This process is not for beginners to linux. You should be able to ssh into your HTPC, have the ability to transfer files using scp, and a basic knowledge of the command line.

I as I mentioned before I've created a patched kernel that will give more buttons on the emprex remote. I am currently using karmic 9.10 so its a 2.6.31 kernel subversion -51 i believe.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/muaymemquj...atched.rar

This rar file contains two debian packages one is the kernel/modules the other is the headers which some programs need to compile.

I suggest you install the headers first as when you install the kernel the nvidia driver will compile(?) against it and may require the headers.

So unrar and transfer the packages to the PC.
then

Code:
sudo dpkg --install linux-headers-2.6.31.12-emprex3009urf_v1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg --install linux-image-2.6.31.12-emprex3009urf_v1_i386.deb

Now you need to make the system boot the new kernel. I am afraid I don't use grub2 personally but all you need to do is copy the existing kernel boot line and modify the kernel version number and the initrd number.
Its possible grub2 may auto update as well, if not google 'updating grub2'

For grub 1 users it will look something like this (DO NOT COPY THIS)
You can find the file containing this in /boot/grub/menu.lst
Copy the similar lines in your file and change the bold items to match the new kernel files (which are now in /boot, so just 'ls /boot' for reference:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.31-10-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-10-generic
boot

Alternately you can just type:
Code:
sudo update-grub

Last step we need to stop ubuntu updating the kernel and overwriting ours.
You can do this two ways,

1: (I've not tested this)
sudo aptitude hold linux-image-2.6.31.12-emprex3009urf_v1_i386

2: Holding grub by dependacy will not update the kernel.
if for that and downgrading grub2 if you desire is herehttp://fordflux.com/blog/linux/downgrade-grub-2/

Once done reboot, and the kernel should now understand a few more buttons but not all sadely.

Mapping the buttons in xwindows.
Several people mentioned how to do this but here is a full list with the new buttons. There are also existing understood buttons such as I as you can use this method to remap remote buttons rather than making lots of changes in xbmc's keymaps.

so edit your ~/.xsessionrc file with your favourite editor (I'm a vi person myself) and add/replace the following (Comments should make them obvious):
Code:
# Pause Button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = F11"
# Back Button
# Record - Escape
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 175 = Escape"
# Power - Power!
# Green Button - gui toggle
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 234 = Tab"
# I Button, map to context menu
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 138 = c"
# DVD Menu, map to info
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 147 = i"
# Pictures, map to codec info
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 220 = o"

I do not recommend using the back button as escape as certain menus it does not work well. You may notice I've mapped pause to F11. Hang on, that key does not do anything in xbmc .... well at least not yet.

you need to add the following to your ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
    [b]<F11>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</F11>[/b]
   </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

This will now allow you to quick jump to the main menu with the pause button.

Also under system in xbmc's menu (input?) there is an option to treat a keyboard like a remote called "Remote control sends keyboard presses". Which is exactly how the emprex appears.
This option will allow you access to the onscreen keyboard etc.

Reboot and enjoy.

####################

For those people who want to compile their own kernel for whatever reason I have this advice:
I have been compiling kernels for many years (too many Laugh) but not recently so I was used to using the good old method old along lines of 'make modules, make modules_install' etc.
This was interesting to learn the new methods which you can google but pitfalls to avoid....
Three methods of getting the kernel source: 1; good old ftp kernel.org 2; apt-get the source (older source code) 3; GITS

When you use the generic config as a base found in /boot something
they have left kernel debugging switched on which will cause your kernel/modules to be around 1GB and compiling process will require close to 5 GB.
Switch off CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL, and CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO to make them a nice size ~100MB
when compiling remember to add option to use the number of cpu threads you have.
e.g. a dual core intel system would have 4.
This increases speed alot as you can imagine.

Emprex patch can be found here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/70351/

Good luck.
@ Sponge

I did test out Wiimote for long use. Its ok but chews through batteries, can't control boot menus, I had a problem where when the wiimote goes into power saving (ie during long movie) and I'm using Wifi (G same frequencies as bluetooth) I get alot of problems with video playback. I believe as the bluetooth dongle is searching for the wiimote.
I have copied this into my .xessionirc

xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = Space"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 175 = c"

and it works fine. The question is I want to remove s and go back to old system of the red power button on the remote being suspend. I have removed the line

and rebooted but the red power button now does nothing. Can anyone help me out.
as i recall, the power button does nothing on this remote without that code line.

however, with the code line in place, it will bring up the power window, which gives you access to 4 different power options, including shutdown, reboot and suspend.

I think you need additional scripting to tell xbmc to suspend instead of shutdown.
@bertybassett I would do it like this.

# Suspend Button - Chose some unused key in xbmc.
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = F10"

you need to add the following to your ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml

Command From http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
    <F10>XBMC.Suspend</F10>
   </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Not tried using this remote to wakeup the system from suspend yet however. Maybe possible but you would have search outside of this forum I suspect.

@shade did you try out the new kernel ?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?0