WMV playback with DX version: cannot fast forwrd or jump properly
Hi,

I have a problem playing most of my WMV files in XBMC DX version (latest build): it seems that the fast forwarding and jumping does not work properly, in fact the remaining time displayed is only a few seconds ahead of the vurrent playing time, and increases slowly. So fast forwarding either freezes the picture, or jumps even back a little.

Is that normal? Any way to fi it?
This bug has been around for well over a year and is not specific to the windows build. There's a partial workaround for the linux version, building with external libraries, that handles some cases and not others. If you can roll your own executable, give that a shot. Otherwise, we're pretty much out of luck as the devs don't play WMV files and don't care about this functionality.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5089
To be honest, it's a shit format anyway.
Totally, and I wouldn't choose to use it, but many files come off the net in WMV format and I would very much like not to have to convert a movie I'm only going to watch once.
If you do convert I can highly recommend EncodeHD.
If you can wait this week end im planning to introduce the asf filters to read wmv into the dsplayer i created. There no better to read that kind of file than using microsoft codecs
tiben20 Wrote:If you can wait this week end im planning to introduce the asf filters to read wmv into the dsplayer i created. There no better to read that kind of file than using microsoft codecs

Great news, as soon as there is a version ready for testing, I am willing to help Smile I think you will write do the DSPlayer Support Thread when a new file comes out right? So I'll be watching that thread.

Btw, I think it's some kind of a lame attitude to say WMV is a "shit format", since in many cases, it's not the user's decission. I need a mediacenter to play common media content, and unfortunately or not, WMV falls into this category, I have a lot of WMV files on my mediaserver, especially short clips, and before I start converting 200 files or so (which always means a decrease in quality, no matter how good your converter is), I will probably rather end up with another mediacenter, which would be a shame since XBMC is great, appart from a few flaws.
Great news, that'll get me to switch to windows XBMC.
Is there any news on this? Can you jump if you use the DS version with different filters? Because with Dharma RC1 you still can't.

Some news shows have their files in WMV and it's a shame XBMC can't handle them. I can perfectly seek them in Zoomplayer and Mediaportal.
I am still interested in this topic. With the latest version, I can jump forward in most WMV files, but in most cases, they need some seconds to sync up correctly, in the meantime, the video is stuttering right after jumping for the first three seconds, which is annoying when searching for a specific scene in large files.

Interestingly, even the latest XBMC for the old XBOX does this smoothly. Why isn't it possible in the Windows version?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WMV playback with DX version: cannot fast forwrd or jump properly0