[WINDOWS] multiple resolutions
ashlar Wrote:What jmarshall was referring to is a fix for the error of XBMC scaling when larger icons/fonts are selected at the desktop level in windows.

oh i thought multiple resolutions were added backSad

could it be added back for next release?

if not could i upgrade from xbmc (babylon i think) to the new xbmc?

if so before i upgrade xbmc could i temporarily change my desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 and xbmc will install and when it starts up it has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, and after that i would exit xbmc and change my resolution again, would xbmc still keep 1920 x 1080 when i open xbmc again?

hope my post makes sense, if it does not just tell me and i will try to explain it better
i love xbmc
From what I know, no, XBMC will always either launch at desktop resolution or windowed. What you could do is set your desktop icons and fonts to be rendered at a bigger size. That's what I have done under Windows 7. It more or less works. And when browsing you can always use CTRL+ and CTRL- to adjust the zoom of web pages on the fly.

jmarshall mentioned adding back, through advancedsettings.xml, extra resolutions, but he wants to do that in the right way, so it will have to wait after Camelot release.
ashlar Wrote:From what I know, no, XBMC will always either launch at desktop resolution or windowed. What you could do is set your desktop icons and fonts to be rendered at a bigger size. That's what I have done under Windows 7. It more or less works. And when browsing you can always use CTRL+ and CTRL- to adjust the zoom of web pages on the fly.

jmarshall mentioned adding back, through advancedsettings.xml, extra resolutions, but he wants to do that in the right way, so it will have to wait after Camelot release.

could i use advancedsettings.xml from my old xbmc in the new xbmc? or would that mess everything up?
i love xbmc
could anyone make a mod that would make this possible?

or is it possible for me to edit a settings file so that it can force a resolution of 1920 x 1080 60hz (1080p)

if there is that would be great so someone please let me know

thank you
i love xbmc
kevcampbell Wrote:could anyone make a mod that would make this possible?

or is it possible for me to edit a settings file so that it can force a resolution of 1920 x 1080 60hz (1080p)

if there is that would be great so someone please let me know

thank you

+1
could anyone tell all of us if this resolution thing is being worked on so that it will be in the next xbmc version?
i love xbmc
No, it's not being worked on. A patch would be welcome.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:No, it's not being worked on. A patch would be welcome.

well, I might be missing something, but what was the reason to remove the feature?
a patch or something would be nice, i think the feature is an important feature, it is like having a game and not being able to set the resolution for the game? i am sure if people were reviewing the game most people reviewing it would highlight not being able to set a resolution

apart from that i hope to see a patch or the feature added back to xbmc so i can one day upgrade xbmc
i love xbmc
The feature was removed as 99.9% of people do not need it and do not care about it. Not to mention it was buggy as hell.

It will not be added without a thorough cleanup being done. Given that all windows developers are well and truely in that 99.9%, it is not a priority.

I'm more than willing to give pointers should someone wish to look at doing a patch.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

well i think you should add a poll to the site or forum and see what vote wins
i love xbmc
We already know which vote wins. 10's of thousands of downloads vs ~10 complaints.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Come on, don't be so harsh. In the past you mentioned adding the feature back through advancedsettings.xml, have you given any thought about that? Note, I would not need it nor use it, I'm fine with 1080p by making font size larger in Win7.
Ofcourse I've thought about it. I know just what it would take to implement it well, and I don't have the time to do it.

Sometimes the truth is harsh Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Ofcourse I've thought about it. I know just what it would take to implement it well, and I don't have the time to do it.
Maybe it would help if you could outline here what steps would need to be taken. Maybe somebody capable, willing and with some time to spend could look into it.

Just trying to find a constructive way out of this, as mentioned I've got no use for this personally but I sympathize with people that have seen something working taken away from them (even if it's free, etc. Smile).

And yes, I know that they can stay with the version they're currently using, but in the long run that would become less and less viable.

Cheers! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] multiple resolutions0