Support for embedded NFO metadata and JPG artwork in MKV (Matroska) video contrainer?
Lightbulb 
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this is something that is long overdue. Not the XBMC-support of it, but embedding this information in movie-files, like mp3s have had for a decade...

I wrote a tool for accessing the attachments of a mkv, and it's really simple if all you want to do is get read access.

I'm planning to write a tool for embedding and editing nfo files directly in mkvs without the need to remux, and if it works out ok, it will be implemented in the new unified mediamanager (UMM). I'm sure this could be a hit among XBMC-users Smile

There should probably be set a standard for files to include/look for. A natural choice would be:

in [moviename].mkv:

movie.nfo
poster.jpg
fanart.jpg

in [tvshowepisode].mkv

episode.nfo
(tvshow.nfo?)
(season.nfo?)
episode.jpg (.tbn?)

So, any chance to see support for this in XBMC?
yes. on the long list.
I'd love to see this in XBMC.
ashlar Wrote:I'd love to see this in XBMC.

Hopefully, we will Wink

I'm writing a tool to add attachments without slow remux process Smile
euphoric Wrote:Hopefully, we will Wink

I'm writing a tool to add attachments without slow remux process Smile
That's a great addition. I wonder how you do that.
More some time I've been storing all the info xbmc gathers about a (movie|show) inside that (movie|show)'s own mkv fille as and attachment. And I think (any most likely only I this) it would be cool Cool if xbmc could look though a MKV and get the info out of it if it finds it.
Check this thread in the UMM forum: http://www.teamumx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30
It contains discussions about that idea and one of our devs also started some work on it a while ago. Haven't heard from him for a while though but I'll check if he made any progress. There should also be another thread about this topic in the XBMC forums but I'll have to look that one up as well.

EDIT: Here is the thread in the XBMC forums: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...attachment
We didn't get much feedback though.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
so ANY progress with this? I love this idea.
bjuraga Wrote:so ANY progress with this? I love this idea.

I haven't heard from euphoric for a while but I'll try to get a hold of him and see how far he is. But I think that the status in the SVN of TeamUMX is the most recent one (which is quite old already): https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/univer...t%20Editor
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
wow thanks for this link it is just what i was trying to find
and it is in C#
and its a part of universal MC?

you made my day

i am C# Developer so if you need help or anything write back

KEEP THE GOOD WORK
It is ot yet part of UMM (that's why it's in the "testing" folder) as we didn't know how exactly this would work out.

Remember that it's not working yet. As far as I can remember it is just able to read the list and content of files attached to an MKV. There were/are some issues in writing the files as our goal would be to write as few data as needed to make it as fast as possible.
If you use a tool like mkvmerge you can also attach files to an MKV but you have to remux the whole file (which may be several GB big) which takes a while.

If you are willing to continue working on this you can always contact euphoric (I'll try to contact him as well) for more details and let us (send me a PM or something) know so we can give you write access to our SVN so you can store your progress there as well.
nice i looked the code and saw what it does - not quite what i expected but, i got my kick start ad i am gonna make one

i would love to work with you but we are kinda on diferent tracks at this time- maybe merge later on?

all i needed is a way to add edit remove tags from mkv including string, image ... you know the works

if you can help me please do

p.s. there is no PM system here?
This partially begs the question of having a true (and single) multimedia container to some extent. Why do we need OGG and Theora files where they can be one and the same and have metadata and graphics embedded for in-application parsing? What is the advantage now days to have media specific files? Lower overhead on file size? seeing extensions of the files in a file/application manager? On the desktop?

I prefer to have all my media in something like MKV containers, but the spec is still somewhat limited, no?
The MKV container allows you to attach any kind of file to an existing MKV file. Get yourself "mkvtoolnix" which contains "mkvmerge GUI" and start that application. Then load an MKV file and go to the second tab named "Attachments" (or something like that as I have it in german and not english). There you can attach/detach any file you want.

BUT the downside of mkvmerge is that it always remuxes the whole file so if you're file has a size of a few GB it takes a while. Our goal is to get rid of that complete remux as attachments are placed at the very end of an MKV anyway. So maybe we can just write to the end of the file to achieve what we want.
Yes Montellese is totally correct on that one. That is my idea too and i am working on it in my spare time for months now. Imagine one movie placed in .mkv file with all images for poster, backdrop, fanart and different media center specific files like .xml's and .nfo's and others that currently sit in the same folder with the movie file and make a mess. If you reinstall your computer more often you wil find it even more helpfull....

I would even go with the slow remux process if only i could get some media center that supports reading all meta data from .mkv...

And i dont have that much spare time to make my own media center Smile maybe just a front end

Why does XBMC not support that? It is not hard on someone that influential to tell its users something like: You CAN now save metadata in .mkv and this is the naming convention..... All Media Centers do it with the folder structure and we all listen to them....

never mind hope is still strong Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for embedded NFO metadata and JPG artwork in MKV (Matroska) video contrainer?1