[LIVE] Run Boxee on the XBMC Live distro?
Ok, so it seems you are meant to make one post per question, so, here we are.

I have read on the forum of people running XBMC + Boxee on various Ubuntu-based distros. However, I have not come across anyone running Boxee on XBMCLive...which is what I want to do - mainly to access all the nice online video plugins available through Boxee.

From what I have read, XBMCLive is a stripped down version of Ubuntu. It is thus simply a case of adding the Boxee repos to the software sources list in XBMCLive and then apt-getting to install Boxee, or will I run in to dependency issues because XBMCLive doesn't have access to the full Ubuntu repoHuh

Any views or people's own experiences welcome.

Would it simply be better to install Ubuntu on my box, install XBMC from the SVN repo and set it to autostart and install Boxee the normal way? Would I still be able to make use of the glorious VDPAU driver stuff by using Ubuntu instead of XBMCLive (not sure if those drivers are XBMCLive specific?)??

Cheers
Anyone doing this (XBMC and Boxee) with Live ?
I ended up doing a minimal install of Ubuntu, then installed XBMC using biptn excellent script and finally, installed Boxee and modified one of biptn's scripts to get it running via my remote (so I exit out of XBMC, then start Boxee using a remote command).

It works very well - Boxee is still a little crash prone when it comes to using some of the Flash-based apps.

I am sure this is all possible on XBMC Live, but I am not sure what Windows manager Live uses..
search the forum, somebody made an awesome XBMC 9.11/Boxee (beta1) dual-boot live CD with install option
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
yes, xbmcfreak.nl is the way to go to download that dual boxee/xbmc live
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
prupert Wrote:I ended up doing a minimal install of Ubuntu, then installed XBMC using biptn excellent script and finally, installed Boxee and modified one of biptn's scripts to get it running via my remote (so I exit out of XBMC, then start Boxee using a remote command).

It works very well - Boxee is still a little crash prone when it comes to using some of the Flash-based apps.

I am sure this is all possible on XBMC Live, but I am not sure what Windows manager Live uses..

In your Boxee setup, are you able to play flash video content, eg. YouTube?

When i use the YouTube app in Boxee, starting the video gets me no video, just blank screen.
Sorry for posting Boxee related question to XBMC forum.

Anyone with Boxee running in XBMC Live setup here?

Are you getting flash content video?

I have Boxee beta installed in XBMC Live 9.11 setup (installed to HDD).

My XBMC Live setup runs XBMC 9.11 just fine. Video, audio, all just work.

Modified the /usr/bin/runXBMC to runBoxee, to start Boxee.

Boxee beta starts. Navigation works. Get sounds through HDMI and S/PDIF. *But* cannot play any flash content video, just blank screen with only audio. For instance, YouTube plays just blank screen with audio.

Some other online contents do play just fine. But no YouTube, Hulu and other flash contents.

I've updated the flash to 10.1 beta. Same result.

So, anyone out there running Boxee in XBMC Live setup, and playing flash content just fine, eg. YouTube?

Thanks much!
gixxer Wrote:Anyone doing this (XBMC and Boxee) with Live ?

Yes I do,

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/breaking-news-bo...ecd-beta1/
erhnam Wrote:Yes I do,

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/breaking-news-bo...ecd-beta1/

Thanks. So, past couple of days i've tried your Boxee Live CD beta 1 as well as dual boot Boxee/XBMC Live CD, to get Boxee running.

Boxee runs. Navigation works. Sound is there.

But what i'm not getting is any playback of flash content video, eg. YouTube.

Playing YouTube video leads to blank screen. No video. I can however play other online content, eg. Revision 3 video.

I looked at your YouTube video showing Boxee running, and i see that you've clicked on YouTube video there and i can see it playing.

But i cannot. I've tried numerous attempts in trying to get Boxee to play flash content. Just been really frustrating with no result to show for.

Is there some magic needed to get YouTube and other flash content to play in Boxee using Live setup?

I tried upgrading to Flash 10.1 and same result. No video.

I've also tried your XBMC Live CD 9.11 version 6, and installed Boxee on top of it. Boxee starts. And once again, no YouTube video.

I've posted a comment to your Boxee Live CD beta 1 blog,

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/breaking-news-bo...mment-1925
You need to have the flash plugin is installed, specifically the one that Firefox uses I believe!!

iirc, if you install Firefox, and then search to install the non-free flash plugin for firefox, that should fix it - just installing Flash itself does not install the flash plugin, bizzarely.
erhnam Wrote:http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/breaking-news-bo...ecd-beta1/
Does that image contain both XBMC and Boxee, or just Boxee? If both, how does that end up working? Can you jump from XBMC to Boxee and vice versa, or do you have to choose one or the other during bootup?
I've actually tried the Boxee-XBMC Live CD. XBMC works just fine, but whenever I try to load Boxee, I get an X failure, basically it's unable to find a screen. I've tried a bunch of different things to get it working and have had no success.

I ended up installing the Boxee beta to my existing Live thumbdrive install. If I want to try Boxee, I have to kill XBMC get into fluxbox, IIRC, and manually start Boxee from there.

If there are any tips anyone could send my way to get the switchover to be more fluid, I'm all ears.
This one contains both Boxee and XBMC. (nvidia only)

http://xbmcfreak.smetana.nl/xbmcfreakdual.zip
erhnam, is that install kept in sync with the other special XBMC Live install you also have been maintaining?

And, again, if I install from that, how do I switch between XBMC and Boxee? Do I have to reboot and choose one or the other during bootup?
erhnam Wrote:This one contains both Boxee and XBMC. (nvidia only)

http://xbmcfreak.smetana.nl/xbmcfreakdual.zip

hello!

I would like to try boxee live as well (and XBMC live) but the link provided is broken! Do you have another link or did they delete the file?
thanks
rebuilding ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Run Boxee on the XBMC Live distro?0