Fanart not caching in beta 1
jmarshall Wrote:All logs I've seen indicate extraction of metadata is enabled and you all seem to have 100% CPU usage which indicates crap video drivers busy waiting on vsync.

Try:

1. Disabling vsync.
2. Enabling "fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen".
3. Disabling all metadata extraction.

Once done, ensure you restart XBMC then JUST browse into movies and see how long things take to load.

Obviously using the default skin Confluence.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for the response jmarshall, I'll try that when I get home.

I do already run fullscreen window and have disabled metadata extraction as you suggested earlier. I also run Confluence. I will try disabling vsync, but that causes bad tearing on sd dvd's.

I do know that a poster earlier in this thread tried number 2 & 3 from your post and said it didnt make much if any difference on his system.
I tried the settings stated by jmarshall. Sadly, they didn't fix the problem for me. I also tried the <bginfoloadermaxthreads>-setting but that didn't make a difference either.
Riddle me this:

1. How long do the background images on home take to load?
2. Do a full debug log with you:
a) Loading XBMC.
b) Going to Movies.
c) Staying on the first movie until it's fanart is shown.
d) Moving to the next movie as soon as the first fanart is shown.
e) Stay on that movie until it's fanart is shown.
f) Repeat from d) 10 times.

Then post the log.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I did a build from svn yesterday and now I have another problem. After restarting XBMC, debugging is disabled although the checkbox in System->Debugging is ticked. So I can only post incomplete debug logs, i.e. I have to toggle debugging after launching to enable it again. I'll post a new log soon as this has been sorted out.

Incidentally, I did what you said in my debug log which I posted a while ago in this thread.

After looking at all the debug logs posted by people here I noticed that they have all one thing in common: System CPU is a single core CPU.

I have no idea about how xbmc is implemented, but maybe there is somewhere a bug with threading. Maybe the fanart-loader-thread doesn't get the priority/attention it should get or there is a problem with temporary lockup due to semaphores/mutexes which gets noticeable on systems with only 1 core. Just a hunch.
tulwinn Wrote:Im having an issue with the thumbnails and fanart and movie covers. XBMC doesnt seem to be caching any of it. When I go to the movies list the move covers are blank and then they will slowly appear. If I scroll on, and then back..they are gone again and I have to wait for them to reapper, its the same with fanart and also TV show pictures. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Same problem here since beta 1 and beta 2.
Maybe Microsoft DirectX related?
Even when fanart is disabled my movie posters show slowly (lag). Also in PM3 HD.

Problem is only vissible on slower PC's. In my case an Asus EEE-PC 901.
XBMC 9.04 works without problems on these slower pc's.
All: Add this:

<sleepbeforeflip>0.9</sleepbeforeflip>

to advancedsettings.xml. That is the ONLY change that could have affected things from Alpha2 to Beta1.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:All: Add this:

to advancedsettings.xml. That is the ONLY change that could have affected things from Alpha2 to Beta1.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I duno what that did, but it sure sped things up.
Magic. I consider this closed then.

could I ask for a little detail on what this changes, and why it was changed in the beta? (and will the need for this advancedsetting.xml change remain in future versions?)
It was forced on in alpha2 (and possibly alpha1, I can't recall offhand).

It's for crappy graphics drivers that busy wait on vsync. i.e. the app thread is sitting there waiting for the GPU to finish and doesn't yield for any other threads (in this case background loading) to finish. Thus the background loaders which have lower priority take forever to complete.

ATI seems the worse, but I've heard other reports from Intel and some nVidia boards. Only really seems an issue on XP - Aero seems to take care of it on Vista and higher.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
There must be some side effect that causes it to just reduce CPU overhead since my system is windows 7 with the recent nvidia video beta driver and an older (but not crappy (or is it by now?)) 6600GT
Wow it does fix the high cpu usage in beta build in fullscreen idle mode. I had 55% before and 20% after fix. Using XP ATI X1400PRO.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I'm also a good 20% lower cpu usage while watching a video. That was an unexpected bonus Big Grin

Cheers,
Jonathan

Quick question.

You say to add '0.9' here, but on the trac ticket you said '0.85'.

Can you explain what the difference between the two numbers would be, and which would you suggest? Or should we try both and see what one works best.

Last question. Is this fix already added to Camelot RC1 or should it be added as above?
Thanks
jmarshall Wrote:All logs I've seen indicate extraction of metadata is enabled and you all seem to have 100% CPU usage which indicates crap video drivers busy waiting on vsync.

Try:

1. Disabling vsync.

Once done, ensure you restart XBMC then JUST browse into movies and see how long things take to load.

Obviously using the default skin Confluence.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'm also having this issued... i tried

<sleepbeforeflip>0.9</sleepbeforeflip>,
1. Disabling vsync.
still doesn't work.

Pentium 4 cpu 2.40ghz 768 mb of ram
Radeon 7000 Series AGP card with 128mb ram

http://pastebin.com/m4b6e14cd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fanart not caching in beta 10