[AppleTV] XBMC System Display 1080p not showing?
Question 
Greetings,
I just upgraded from an xbox/crappy old pc (both) to a new appletv (40 gig refurb). ATV 3.0 OS is installed, I got launcher 3.2 beta3, installed xbmc 9.11 beta... 2? (whatever the option is current, camelot skin is showing up). I was starting to customize my settings, but 1080p isn't showing up as an option for my display.

I have a 1080p TV and the Apple TV setting is for 1080p. I'm using an hdmi cable/optical audio. My only two options are Windowed and 1280x720 @ 60.0 - Full screen.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a bug?

Thanks for your help,

OEH
oehokie Wrote:Greetings,
I just upgraded from an xbox/crappy old pc (both) to a new appletv (40 gig refurb). ATV 3.0 OS is installed, I got launcher 3.2 beta3, installed xbmc 9.11 beta... 2? (whatever the option is current, camelot skin is showing up). I was starting to customize my settings, but 1080p isn't showing up as an option for my display.

I have a 1080p TV and the Apple TV setting is for 1080p. I'm using an hdmi cable/optical audio. My only two options are Windowed and 1280x720 @ 60.0 - Full screen.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a bug?

Thanks for your help,

OEH

bug. pick 720p and live with it for now.
I am in the same situation. Any news on a fix for this?
-Matt- Wrote:I am in the same situation. Any news on a fix for this?

nope. pick 720p and don't worry about it for now.
-Matt- Wrote:I am in the same situation. Any news on a fix for this?

As Davilla is saying, its a bug. Although he's recommending to just put up with 720p for now, 720p sucks. So until there's a fix I'd recommend people use component output for now instead of HDMI. Component will get you 1080i. If you don't specifically have official "Red Green Blue" component video cables, don't worry. Any RCA cables will work for component, just don't mix the colors up. Good for now.

Personally I think "1080p" HD HDMI output being broken is kinda a big deal but who am I? Hopefully there's some priority to this. Smile
davilla Wrote:nope. pick 720p and don't worry about it for now.

Is there a ticket # for this yet that we can follow? I checked Trac back to Dec 2009 and couldn't find it.

Thanks!
-GB
Hi, I am also experiencing this issue. In HDMI, the best resolution I can obtain is 720p.

I installed Linux and was able to get 1080p working fine, but had other problems so I am back to using AppleTV-OS.
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)
I would very much like to know the # ticket as well....
Would be happy to supply logging etc...
Well 720p doesn't "suck." Do you think Fox, ABC, or ESPN HD look bad? They only use 720p.

As a human you'd have a difficult time distinguishing the difference between 1080p and 720p at a normal viewing distance on a normal sized television. If you have a monster TV or sit very close you might be able to tell... but even then.

1080p, for most, is a waste. The only real thing you gain with modern 1080p TVs is the 24hz playback mode which helps with film. The resolution difference is minimal unless you're buying a TV larger than about 55 inches and sitting closer than 10 feet.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

EDIT: All of that said... I run Linux on my ATV because I want 1080p/24hz.
dan1son Wrote:Well 720p doesn't "suck." Do you think Fox, ABC, or ESPN HD look bad? They only use 720p.

As a human you'd have a difficult time distinguishing the difference between 1080p and 720p at a normal viewing distance on a normal sized television. If you have a monster TV or sit very close you might be able to tell... but even then.

1080p, for most, is a waste. The only real thing you gain with modern 1080p TVs is the 24hz playback mode which helps with film. The resolution difference is minimal unless you're buying a TV larger than about 55 inches and sitting closer than 10 feet.

Well, maybe I was a little harsh when I said 720p sucks. To _me_ it sucks because I have a 58" Plasma, and video playback aside, the GUI looks horrible and huge at either of the two options available with this bug: Windowed or 720p.

-GB
davilla Wrote:nope. pick 720p and don't worry about it for now.

Don't worry. be happy. Right, Davilla? Huh
glmoneo Wrote:Don't worry. be happy. Right, Davilla? Huh

It's a clear choice, if you absolutely got to have 1080p display right now today on the AppleTV, then install a Linux Boot, otherwise wait until it gets looked into.
davilla Wrote:It's a clear choice, if you absolutely got to have 1080p display right now today on the AppleTV, then install a Linux Boot, otherwise wait until it gets looked into.

I know. I've been VERY patient. I love XBMC. It really is the best media manager out there. That said, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the 1080p bug. Wink
I'll second that ! 1080P pretty please....! Cool
glmoneo Wrote:I know. I've been VERY patient. I love XBMC. It really is the best media manager out there. That said, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the 1080p bug. Wink

Im sure that is probably high on their list, but might as well finish the most pressing thing on hand first (1080p decoding using CrystalHD) so that there is an actual use for the 1080p output other than just the on screen display.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC System Display 1080p not showing?0