Separate Movie Content
Is there a way to have multiple Movie Menus? I have a listing of Christmas Movies that I would like the kids to enjoy. I have them all in a separate folder location, and scanned their fanart via imdb.

But they are all included in my general movies menu. Is is possibly to have specific folder locations included only in your menu items? I'm hoping to create a 'Christmas' Menu for just these movies.

Is that possible?
Maybe Playlists will help, requires work though.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Playlists
This idea depends on the skin, but you may be able to modify the 'Home.xml' file of the skin to add a sub menu from Videos. Use the ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,PathtoDir) function to launch to that folder specifically.

Playlists are probably easier since they don't rely on modding the script.

Here is more info on the ActivateWindow function: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Window_IDs
Profiles.. or go wild
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Both are good suggestions. Using Playlists, I could start all christmas movies starting one after another, and than skip through them to one you want to watch.

Profiles are also a good suggestion to toggle the info between the info your looking to segregate.

But I was hoping to be able to segregate things more, with out the need to toggle profiles, etc, as the media grows.

Example. I added my James Bond collection this week to my media. It would be nice/helpful to have a separare 'Bond' menu item for just these movies (theirs 22 of them I think) in stead of searching all the movie content.

Currently, my Movies menu contains all these bond films, plus all the christmas items. Segregating these into separate menu's or submenu's would be a very big plus. I guess setting up various profiles for this data may be the best workaround at the moment.
Bond -> Movie sets

Mix and match... no one universal solution.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Movie Sets looks like a good idea. I'll have to read up what I can find them. I've never edited the nfo files manually, so hopefully I don't mess it up.

Can someone explain how the Movie Sets will then show in xbmc? Is this creating 1 movie/item in your movies list that is acting like a submenu than? Just trying to understand what/should look like. I hope to try and create the Movie Sets this weekend.
If your using aeon or one of the mods with home customization you can create a smart playlist to find your bond movies add it to favorites then add that as a menu item with a little code change it can open as a separate library containing only bond movies

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=448...stcount=12

No doubt you could do it manually on another skin its just easier with Aeon and home customization
As I think about playlists, wouldn't using a playlist end up keeping all movies in the default "Movies" menu item? I'm hoping that maybe you can set up separate Menu Items for various content, thus profiles may be the better approach over playlist and Movie Sets.

Perhaps you can setup Movie Sets to 1) includes only Bond fims, and 2) include all moves except bond films. Again, I'm uncertain how the Movie Sets work ,and hope to try that this weekend.
ptmuldoon Wrote:Movie Sets looks like a good idea. I'll have to read up what I can find them. I've never edited the nfo files manually, so hopefully I don't mess it up.

Can someone explain how the Movie Sets will then show in xbmc? Is this creating 1 movie/item in your movies list that is acting like a submenu than? Just trying to understand what/should look like. I hope to try and create the Movie Sets this weekend.

Movie sets work great for collections of movies like the Bond movies. The movie set will show up in your movies list as the name of the set. So if you called yours 'Bond Films' it would show up in the 'B' section under title view, and would act as a folder to all of the movies.

One thing I really like about sets is you can set the 'Set order' so that the movies will display in their release date order instead of by title for sets of films.

For some pictures of how it will show up in the library, look here: http://weberjr.com/blog/?p=160
ptmuldoon Wrote:As I think about playlists, wouldn't using a playlist end up keeping all movies in the default "Movies" menu item? I'm hoping that maybe you can set up separate Menu Items for various content, thus profiles may be the better approach over playlist and Movie Sets.

Yes in part that's true, lets say you set a smart playlist to look for bond in the file name the bond movies would still be in movies library but you could have a menu item called Bond Movies that would give you library view with only bond movies
robweber Wrote:Movie sets work great for collections of movies like the Bond movies. The movie set will show up in your movies list as the name of the set. So if you called yours 'Bond Films' it would show up in the 'B' section under title view, and would act as a folder to all of the movies.

One thing I really like about sets is you can set the 'Set order' so that the movies will display in their release date order instead of by title for sets of films.

For some pictures of how it will show up in the library, look here: http://weberjr.com/blog/?p=160

Thats absolutely perfect. I can do that with all of my Bond moves as well as other movie series info, including all of the Cartoon Christmas movies I have. It seems pretty straight forward to do as well.

My one 'concern' now is that with using Ember Media Manager and Media Info Plus, that I'll overwrite the nfo files by mistake after editing them all.
robweber Wrote:For some pictures of how it will show up in the library, look here: http://weberjr.com/blog/?p=160
This is good stuff, why don't you add this to the official wiki as a how to?

The only suggestion I would make is that instead of using the sorttitle tag you could very well just sort by year and that you can set a thumb for the set via the context menu.
(But explaining sorttitle should absolutely be there)
This is excellent! Thanks for your help pointing in the Movie Sets direction! Smile

Now I'll just have to make a shitload of NFOs Big Grin
sho Wrote:This is good stuff, why don't you add this to the official wiki as a how to?

The only suggestion I would make is that instead of using the sorttitle tag you could very well just sort by year and that you can set a thumb for the set via the context menu.
(But explaining sorttitle should absolutely be there)

I can definitely add this to the wiki. I'll be sure to include the suggestions you've mentioned too. Thanks for the idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Separate Movie Content0