Hardware options for XBMC - which platform
I'm currently using Xbmc on an Xbox and have for quite a while and am very happy with it.

My Xbox seems a bit noisy though and it is limited in HD capabilities so I'm pondering on upgrading to some form of computer based version - probably xbmc live.

I'm wondering what the best option is though. I use a NAS for all my media accessed by samba share at the moment which would stay the same and a universal remote for control.

Video and audio would be transmitted via HDMI (HD audio for blu-ray, etc). So far as I can see, options would be:

1) Build a HTPC;
2) Use one of the low power PCs like a Revoo or similar;
3) Use a Mac Mini;
4) Use an Apple tv (not sure how this copes with HD).

Is there one of these options which is better than the others, price is probably the main consideration, but also the ease of setup as I don't use linux that much?

Cheers for any tips
Revo. Only $200, plays everything, put XBMC Live on a USB drive and it's basically plug and play. MCE remote works out of the box with no configuration.
I just replaced 2 of my xboxes out of a total 5 (all running xbmc) in my house for 2 Revo 1600s so I could do HD. Run XBMC Live on them and couldn't be happier. They were $200 a piece plus the cost to add an additional gig of ram to each. They are small so you can hide behind the TV and very quiet.

There are some tutorials on here for installing Live on them so it isnt bad even for someone that doesnt know or care for linux.

Oh and for a little more cash there are the asrock ions as well.
i would go with the revo 1600 as well. im about to order one myself.
Thanks for the responses, the Revo looks promising. I'm guessing it's similar to the Revo 3600
Revo 3600

May have to have a look at that for under £150 (although I'm guessing the update to 2 gig memory is useful)
Is the single core Revo 230 capable of full HD, M2TS non-compressed bluray? I thought it was advised, even with VPDAU to get the dual core 330?

I've been looking for cheap HTPC options too, the revo is a bargain at under 150, but only as long as it isnt sluggish on the OSD/GUI (confluence, xperience etc) and can play ALL HD files without stuttering.
I have read from various sources that the single core 1600 revo is capable of playing back full 1080p HD.

@mauwf - the 3600 is just an upgrade, with more ram, dual core, and wifi. (there are others, but those are the big ones i think) from what I have heard, not enough to justify the upgrade for my uses.
I'm running with a AsRock Ion 330 overclocked to 2.1 and it works very well.
Single core revo works fine with all hd content and menus are fine too.
prae5 Wrote:Single core revo works fine with all hd content and menus are fine too.

Are you playing the menus using folder structure or .iso's

M
All reports are that the single core is fine for everything except, possibly, hit bitrate swf files, but that's only because they are decoded by CPU and not GPU. For especially high bitrate content, you'll definitely want 2 gigs of ram.
I use an ION platform HTPC with XBMC/Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware options for XBMC - which platform0