• 4(current)
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final
Just a thought, but I wonder if you couldn't simply rename XBMC.exe to the name and exact same path as the MP executable, so that MPtray could work to launch XBMC. So, you would have to rename both the EXE and its containing folder in the %Program Files% directory.
I use IR Server Suit (Translator) to launch XBMC w/ the green button, works great.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Smile 
jhsrennie you're the man. Big Grin Thank you so much for this info. Nod

Been having so much trouble in the past with IR server suite giving me BSOD resuming from hibernate and was planning a fresh install with XP + Eventghost + XBMC when i found your post.

Customized your reg file to my taste and everthing seems to work perfect, really nice to don't have to rely on any 3rd party software for the remote.

Thanx again!

Regards

Lengis
steelman1991 Wrote:I currently use my Harmony One (set-up as an MCE Keyboard) to control XBMC. I have great succes with this, with one notable exception - the ability to 'launch' XBMC remotely.

I have the shortcut key to XBMC.exe set to launch with a press of the F9 keyboard stroke (mapped to the 'Menu' button of the Harmony). This works intermittently and without warning stops working. A re-boot of the entire system, regains focus of the command and it works again. As I say this is completely random and has no repeatable pattern to it, nor can I reproduce the behaviour.

jhsrennie or anyone, would the installation of your reg and remap of the buttons and a change in the Harmony Remote software to use the MCE remote commands, prove any more reliable.

If not, has anyone else experienced this issue - I'm quite sure it is a 'windows' issue, but cannot find anywhere that might capture the action (such as event viewer) and give me a starting point to troubleshoot - any ideas, help? Huh

Unashamedly bumping this, anyone help me out with this?
steelman1991 Wrote:Unashamedly bumping this, anyone help me out with this?

I'm no expert but you may want to google 'disabling HID in windows'. I use EventGhost and it automatically disables this for me and I am able to launch the XBMC executable from my remote using a mapped keyboard press.

Edit:
Looks like you have your Harmony setup like a MS keyboard and not an MCE remote. I don't think what I proposed will help.

You might want to try a keyboard combo (shift + X) instead of a function key
Thanks for the suggestion, you may well have something about the choice of keystroke for the launch key. However, I have installed jhsrennie's reg changes and so far the 'green button launch (Control-Shift-x) seems to be working. Will be interesting to see whether it provides any more stability over the F9 keyboard launch option, hopefully it will.
What a great thread and thanks for the excellent solution.

Quick question though, my mce remote used to put the pc into 'suspend' or standby with the power button on the remote.

It now just shuts down xbmc, is there anyway to get this to go back to powering the pc on and off?

thanks so much in advance Smile
I suspect the remote is sending alt-F4, which just closes whatever program receives the keystroke. You could tweak the .reg file to send a different key then in keyboard.xml map that key to the Suspend action.

JR
MMm... i used a combo of winlirc, a generic remote, a diy serial IR receiver and eventghost to handle XBMC. Too much stuff imho, so i was glad to see that Camelot *should* handle MCE remotes out of the box.

I bought off ebay the only MCE remote i could find (avoiding cheap "generic" clones) and i got hold of this:

Of course, the XP (sp3) machine refused to recognize it: fiddling here and there with google, i found how to modify the standard irbus.inf to recognize this remote too, and worked.

So, i launched XMBC full of hope and.... nothing.
Well, maybe i'm missing something in the remote.xml config, so i seached more, all the entries in the forum and the wiki.

Downloaded the mceremote.zip and tested with the remote logger. Well, it only shows a 4 or 5 keys of the remote (play, for instance), none of the other. Tried the two included regfiles, no results.

Of course, XBMC doesn't recognize even the play command.

The MCE plugin in Event Ghost, instead, recognizes every single key of the remote, so i'm again on the starting point: i *still* have to use eventghost Sad

Any ideas, hints?

thanks.
are you using this HP remote with an actual HP infra-red reciever? or are you using it with your DIY serial IR reciever? This may be the problem as XBMC and mceremote.zip are designed to use/modify the commands sent by the microsoft driver for the official Microsoft/HP/Dell MCE infra-red recievers.
dhstsw Wrote:so i was glad to see that Camelot *should* handle MCE remotes out of the box.

Camelot doesn't support MCE remotes out of the box, but any pre-10.5 build since r26407 will support MCE remotes provided they send keystrokes. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for details.

You don't show the receiver you're using. Is it the one pictured in http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_Remote. If so we know the remote sends the same codes as the MS remote, and we know it works with XBMC Live. What we don't know, because no-one has so far tested it, is whether the remote can be configured to send keystrokes like the MS remote by modified the ReportMappingTable registry key. Your experience would suggest not, though this does seem surprising as you're using the MS driver and it's the driver that uses that registry key. I believe Eventghost has an option to disable the HID device, and if you ticked this it might be interfering.

I can't comment further because I don't have one of these remotes to test. If anone wants to buy me one I'd be happy to test it :-)

JR
In answer to elliot regarding the standby button.

You need to edit the inf file made by jhsrennie by rightclicking and chosing open with notepad. Then put the code for the standby button back to its original value (jhsrennie has put what this should be next to his modified value). Remember to run the inf after you have saved the change to add it to the registry.
petermarshall15 Wrote:are you using this HP remote with an actual HP infra-red reciever? or are you using it with your DIY serial IR reciever? This may be the problem as XBMC and mceremote.zip are designed to use/modify the commands sent by the microsoft driver for the official Microsoft/HP/Dell MCE infra-red recievers.

I'm using the HP MCE receiver.
jhsrennie Wrote:You don't show the receiver you're using. Is it the one pictured in

My IR Receiver is just like the one in this pic:

jhsrennie Wrote:What we don't know, because no-one has so far tested it, is whether the remote can be configured to send keystrokes like the MS remote by modified the ReportMappingTable registry key. Your experience would suggest not, though this does seem surprising as you're using the MS driver and it's the driver that uses that registry key.

As far i can understand, it should be just like the MS one, since the EventGhost plugins detects it fully.

jhsrennie Wrote:I believe Eventghost has an option to disable the HID device, and if you ticked this it might be interfering.

Yup, but of course i tried to quit eventghost before running xbmc.

I noticed no variations in the ShowKey.exe (as i said, only the play and few other keys were 'seen', in the WM_APPCOMMAND format) when importing the regfiles in the mceremote.zip. May it be i had to reboot after each import?

Also, it should be a type 1 or 2 (or, more probably, a mix of the two) and, as i use the latest nightly build, as reported in the link you provided, "The good news is that from build 26407 onwards XBMC has support built in for remote controllers of types 2, 3 and 4.". But looks like this is not the case Sad

Any mistake-misundertanding on my side?

Thanks! Smile
Even after closing eventghost, it will leave the HID service disabled. Maybe try re-enableing HID in eventghost, reboot windows (for it to take effect. and then try showkey.exe
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final1