• 5(current)
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final
I'll try this evening. Thanks! Smile
dhstsw Wrote:I noticed no variations in the ShowKey.exe (as i said, only the play and few other keys were 'seen', in the WM_APPCOMMAND format) when importing the regfiles in the mceremote.zip. May it be i had to reboot after each import?

Well the instructions in mceremote.zip say:

Code:
Now just double-click Remote-SendKeys.reg or Remote-XBMC.reg
and answer yes when it asks if you're sure. Now reboot your PC and
the remote should now be sending keystrokes.

So if you didn't reboot after running the .reg file you would find it had no effect.

JR
Well,
-deticket the HID thing in EventGhost, removed it's autoload.
-imported the Remote-XBMC.reg, reboot.
-launched ShowKey.exe

now it sees nearly all the keys (misses about 10, but, whatever).

running XBMC, and the panic begins.

looks like it keeps on repeting (in loop, so it's not a buffering problem) every key i press on the remote, making it unusable Undecided

edit: this behaviour stops if i disable again the HID service with EventGhost... wich means, i still have to use eventghost Sad
I wouldn't go that route, do the registry tweak as mentioned here:

Quote:#

You can manually edit the registry to:

* Load "regedit.exe" and navigate to:
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServic esHidIrRemotes745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
* Then delete the keys from "CodeSetNum0" to "CodeSetNum3".
* To make sure you can recover these keys easily should you want to you should save them by using the export function in the file menu.
* Once the registry has been changed you will need to reboot for the change to take effect.
* This same process can be applied to disable automatic keyboard handling. Just look at the other registry sections under the "Remotes" sections.
* Now if you ever want to re-enable the automatic handling of the MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard you just need to put those registry keys back.
* NOTE: You can recover those Registry keys by reinstalling the eHome driver, just go into device manager and uninstall the eHome receiver USB device and then go to the Action menu and select "Scan for hardware changes", this will bring back the driver and the registry keys with it.

I personally use Girder but eventghost should work the same way. I modified the green button to go back to the home screen in xbmc. I also changed it so if you were on the homescreen and pushed the button it went back to playing video. I simply mapped the wm_commands girder was getting into keyboard commands directed at the xbmc process.
Don't know why there is so much trouble with this when you can just as easily change the windows media centers folder name. Did that and just set event ghost to open xbmc with the button. Quick and simple
dhstsw Wrote:Well,
-deticket the HID thing in EventGhost, removed it's autoload.
-imported the Remote-XBMC.reg, reboot.
-launched ShowKey.exe

now it sees nearly all the keys (misses about 10, but, whatever).

running XBMC, and the panic begins.

looks like it keeps on repeting (in loop, so it's not a buffering problem) every key i press on the remote, making it unusable Undecided

edit: this behaviour stops if i disable again the HID service with EventGhost... wich means, i still have to use eventghost Sad

Assuming Eventghost is now out of the equation, the only way for the remote to interact with XBMC is by simulating a keyboard so the problem can't be that hard to diagnose. ShowKey only shows the last keystroke so it isn't able to spot if keys are repeating. However you can open Notepad then press e.g. the Play button and Notepad should show a single P. Assuming it does, try pressing P on the keyboard in XBMC.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Assuming Eventghost is now out of the equation, the only way for the remote to interact with XBMC is by simulating a keyboard so the problem can't be that hard to diagnose. ShowKey only shows the last keystroke so it isn't able to spot if keys are repeating. However you can open Notepad then press e.g. the Play button and Notepad should show a single P. Assuming it does, try pressing P on the keyboard in XBMC.

JR

Keystrokes are ok (eg: "Play" is "P") but, not a single one. An unlimited amount of them Undecided
I'll check if i find something about keys repeats in the registry.
Hi,
I am trying to map my green button to launch XMBC instead of Media Center.
When I use the ShowKey application and hit the green button, I do not get a response from the ShowKey app. However, I do get a response for other buttons like forward, rewind, etc.
I have what I believe to be the standard Microsoft MCE remote and receiver.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
bickyb Wrote:Hi,
I am trying to map my green button to launch XBMC instead of Media Center.
When I use the ShowKey application and hit the green button, I do not get a response from the ShowKey app. However, I do get a response for other buttons like forward, rewind, etc.
I have what I believe to be the standard Microsoft MCE remote and receiver.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

What have you done so far? Have you run one of the .reg files, and if so which? What does ShowKey show when you press, for example, the Play and Stop buttons?

JR
dhstsw Wrote:Keystrokes are ok (eg: "Play" is "P") but, not a single one. An unlimited amount of them Undecided
I'll check if i find something about keys repeats in the registry.

Fixed it somewhat.
Nonetheless, i'll have to stick with EG until RC6 remotes will be directly supported. Standard config doesn't support too many keys and i can't understand how to map the missing ones.

Thanks for the help.
dhstsw Wrote:Fixed it somewhat.
Nonetheless, i'll have to stick with EG until RC6 remotes will be directly supported. Standard config doesn't support too many keys and i can't understand how to map the missing ones.

Use whatever works for you; it's not a religion :-)

Having said that, the big advantage of MS compatible remotes is that *every* key can be configured to send any keystroke you want. As it happens I've just bought an HP remote on eBay and as soon as I've worked out all the key mappings I'll add the info to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews

JR
With Eventghost I had the back button working as the backspace and escape key. Is there a way to map the back button to run send both these keys?

Sidenote, this seems like something that the developers of XBMC should fix to simplify use on all platforms.
havix Wrote:With Eventghost I had the back button working as the backspace and escape key. Is there a way to map the back button to run send both these keys?

Sidenote, this seems like something that the developers of XBMC should fix to simplify use on all platforms.

As far as I know the MS remote can only be configured to send a single keypress for a single button press.

What should the developers of XBMC fix to simplify use on all platforms?

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:As it happens I've just bought an HP remote on eBay and as soon as I've worked out all the key mappings I'll add the info to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews
JR

Oh, that would be great! Smile
jhsrennie Wrote:As far as I know the MS remote can only be configured to send a single keypress for a single button press.

What should the developers of XBMC fix to simplify use on all platforms?

JR

In most media center apps you don't have to use multiple keys to exit screens or go back. It's usually just one key and with MCE remote support you can just use the back key. This has been my experience with MCE, Meedio, and Media Portal. Having multiple keys that do similar things confuses people. Why can't the same key be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views. Just an example I know they have many functions for both these keys.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final1