Emulators (NES, SNES, etc) in XBMC Live?
Hello all,

I'm a complete newb to XBMC and Linux. I've got an install of LIVE on an Aspire Revo 1600. I've been pulling my hair out the last couple days trying to figure out how to get emulators to run on this thing. I've searched through this forum before posting, so hopefully someone can help.

I've tried using launcher to launch FCEU, but it just tells me it's loading and then doesn't fire up any program. I've tried using Arcade Browser by RedSandro. I'm not sure I'm setting up the emulators.ini correctly, but that's not working either. It says there's no valid rom cache and then when it scans it hangs on "building ROM list" and never actually does anything.

I'm stumped. Is this even possible..? Or should I just install Ubuntu on this thing and run XBMC on that platform? I'm chalking this up to complete lack of knowledge...so I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!
It might be worth trying regular ubuntu. The emulators may have dependencies that live doesn't provide.

Edit: didn't see your last line. Yes, with a 'total lack of knowledge' I'd definitely just go with regular ubuntu.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
In the same boat here, but I got a little further with the Launcher script. I am able to bring up an emulator, in my case zsnes, with a selected rom from the Launcher interface. You may want to manually edit the launchers.xml file to ensure your settings are correct. You can find it in:

~/.xbmc/userdata/plugin_data/programs/Launcher/launchers.xml

Here is mine for reference

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
        <launcher>
                <name>Zsnes</name>
                <application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
                <args>-1 1 -m -s -v 15 </args>
                <rompath>/home/xbmc/ROMs/SNES/</rompath>
                <romext>smc|sfc|swc|fig|mgd|mgh|ufo|bin|gd3|bs|gz|zip</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>true</wait>
                <roms>
                </roms>
        </launcher>
</launchers>

Even though I can bring up zsnes, I still have two problems...

1) The application focus remains on XBMC, meaning all keyboard and gamepad input is not being recognized by the emulator and stuck back in XBMC.

2) I get no sound from the emulator. My zsnes settings seem to be correct. This might be related to the ALSA hack I did following alanwww1's guide to enable Multichannel HD audio.
Subscribed, I'd love a working emulator and ROM browser on Live.
I believe you need a window manager to switch between programs. I use fluxbox, which GDM launches, then I have xbmc launched with ~/.fluxbox/startup.

I've spent a few hours today trying to get zsnes, mednafen, and other emulators to place nicely with xbmc's audio. Sometimes I can get sound to work on the emulators, but switching back to xbmc and playing a file gives me that "audio failed to initialize" error.

It used to work fine with my old analog audio setup, but it started when I switched to HDMI, which leads me to believe it's just a matter of tweeking a little.
rwparris2 Wrote:It might be worth trying regular ubuntu

Would that include: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Minimal CD (12.1MB) ?
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
Yes it can. I would personally recommend the XBMCBuntu guide in the wiki.
sgeoxd Wrote:Yes it can. I would personally recommend the XBMCBuntu guide in the wiki.
+1 I used that guide before I got lazy and started using Live only and it worked great if you need the underlying OS for something other than XBMC.
Launcher works fine with snes9x-gtk 1.52 in xbmc-live but all the other emulators that try to run in full-screen end up locking-up on me..

all the others I've tried
sdlmame
mednafen
gens
mupen64plus

any way to get around the fullscreen lockup deal?
Quote:1) The application focus remains on XBMC, meaning all keyboard and gamepad input is not being recognized by the emulator and stuck back in XBMC.
I did some tests with firefox and I got it to work but not in a, in my view, practical way. I have meaning to re-read all the threads to see if there is a fix.

What I have to do is
launch the app
position the mouse
press \

When I then exit the app I have to do \ again on xbmc to get it back to correct resolution.

If we then add the fact that in live shell the keyboard layout is US and you have to know US \ position...then I dont really have a topbox solution yet. Perhaps it is possible to fix but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Quote:Yes it can. I would personally recommend the XBMCBuntu guide in the wiki.
I assume that they are talking about installing desktop ubuntu? If I read the post I dont see how xbmcbuntu would help.
Quote:Would that include: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Minimal CD (12.1MB) ?
so no, if you want load "full/regular" ubuntu without knowing a lot of linux use the desktop cd. That will give you other problems though since the forum is very focused on Live.
DDM123 Wrote:I believe you need a window manager to switch between programs. I use fluxbox, which GDM launches, then I have xbmc launched with ~/.fluxbox/startup.

I've spent a few hours today trying to get zsnes, mednafen, and other emulators to place nicely with xbmc's audio. Sometimes I can get sound to work on the emulators, but switching back to xbmc and playing a file gives me that "audio failed to initialize" error.

It used to work fine with my old analog audio setup, but it started when I switched to HDMI, which leads me to believe it's just a matter of tweeking a little.

have you got working HDMI audio on your emulators yet? I am having trouble as well. I have tried all the tricks and tips on the forum, but come up empty every time.
here is a more detailed post of my setup.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=6...post603622

-=Jason=-
There is other threads covering this.

I havent tried with emulators but with firefox hdmi will work, at least if you use a asoundrc file.
vikjon0 Wrote:There is other threads covering this.

I havent tried with emulators but with firefox hdmi will work, at least if you use a asoundrc file.

link to other thread?

also what is your .asoundrc file looking like and where exactly do you have it located?

-=Jason=-
for firefox
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664

for emulators you have to search.
Here is my /home/xbmc/.asoundrc (sorry i cant remember where i got it from)

Quote:pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

I get sound from hdmi when i use my emulators. (tested with zsnes and mupen64plus) .

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emulators (NES, SNES, etc) in XBMC Live?1