Rapier 3.0 = high cpu usage [Fixed in 3.06]
hi scarfa,

very nice work on the update!
it must have been a shitload of work to create 'localized' images for the home menu items.
must say i'm impressed. ;-)

as already mentioned here:
http://xbmc.org/scarfa/2010/01/03/rapier.../#comments
i can confirm cpu usage skyrockets to 100% running Rapier 3.0 on linux.
did a bit of testing and as far as i can tell it's caused by the font files.
every one of them (except for RapierBolCaps2.ttf) seem to trigger this issue.

it's also affecting xbmc on windows, although to a lesser degree.
cpu idles at ~15%, but drops to 5% after i replace the font files.

hope this info will help in finding a fix. ;-)

cheers.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Seeing same here, looking into it.

TheUni
Greatly appreciated! Going back to 2.0 + Qualar.
Don't know whats going on but the new fonts I used seem to have bumped the cpu usage up by 20% in some cases. I'd like to keep these fonts if someone can figure out whats going on. If not I'll release an update later today to replace the fonts.
moonwhaler Wrote:Greatly appreciated! Going back to 2.0 + Qualar.

In my 3.0 mod i have not used the new fonts, with the exception of the font used for the Breadcrumb bar. Could someone please test if my 3.0 mod is OK regarding CPU usage, is it is not i will replce that font.
i've tried Rapier 3.0 on a few older xbmc builds.

with r23737 or up i get 100% cpu.

with r23241 or earlier i get 10-45% cpu (still high imo)

maybe it's related be related to:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/23267
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Ronie

Quick look says it is indeed related to kerning. Will use that as a starting point, thanks for tracking it down so quickly.

Edit: Looks like you were spot on with the commit. Nice work.
Edit2: Temporary fix: r26325

TheUni
Qualar is playing nice. Even in "movie list" (db) view - this is where my system (Zotac ION A) stutters like hell using Rapier 3.0 ... Thanks for looking into this so quick!
theuni Wrote:Ronie

Quick look says it is indeed related to kerning. Will use that as a starting point, thanks for tracking it down so quickly.

Edit: Looks like you were spot on with the commit. Nice work.
Edit2: Temporary fix: r26325

TheUni

np, running svn r26325 now and all is fine. :-)
moonwhaler Wrote:Qualar is playing nice. Even in "movie list" (db) view - this is where my system (Zotac ION A) stutters like hell using Rapier 3.0 ... Thanks for looking into this so quick!

I am using different fonts in the Qualar Mod to the default Rapier skin so that definately explains why my version is performing OK.
I'm glad theres a fix, but I'd rather not trouble users to hunt down svn releases. It was a pain asking users what svn release they're using to troubleshoot during the pre Camelot era. Big Grin

I'm going to replace the fonts until theres another official xbmc release.
So on first pass of rapier 3.0 I had no issues with high CPU usage. I've been using the color fork mod from sranshaft, which is pretty hefty on cpu usage. When I switched over to this, everything became TONS faster. I'm running this off of windows, but had no issues with it what-so-ever.
I've replaced the fonts. This should fix the high cpu usage, please test it out and report back. If everything checks out OK, I'll make it official.

DOWNLOAD
Tested on Mac OSX 10.6.2. Comparing Rapier v2.0 to v3.0 (with fix).

Home screen: Both run at around 10% (Both cores)
Movies (List View): v2.0 runs around 38-42%, v3.0 runs around 42-45% (Both cores).

A little higher, but nothing unusually crippling, so it looks like the problems been fixed, at least on OSX.

And thanks for getting rid of the italic font! I could kiss you!!
Rapier has been officially updated to v3.06 with the fixes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rapier 3.0 = high cpu usage [Fixed in 3.06]0