[WINDOWS] vs. [LINUX] Play .VOB larger 2GB behavior / BUG?
Hi Everybody.

I have installed XBMC on my Ubuntu Karmic x64 and on my WinXP PC. (both version 9.11)

I have an Pinnacle Showcenter 200 Environment, where I put all my DVD's and recorded movies from SAT receiver on a file server resampled in separate directories per movie conaining a

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB

files. (There is almost a single VOB File which is usually larger than 2GB)

I have transcoded my records to a single .VOB because there were issues with the Pinnacle Streaming Server causing drop-outs when launching the next VOB in sequence and sometimes switching to a wrong language track during the transition (seems to be a Bug in their streaming solution)

However - this worked fine for me for years and any Player can handle them so far.

Now the issue I experianced:

[WINDOWS + XBMC]:

- Library scan works
- Playback from library works only on movies with VOB < 2GB (using the .ifo as starting point), movies with larger .VOB are ignored.
- Playback of the VOB files is posible in XBMC using file mode with no stacking and clicking directly on the .VOB file, so it is not an issue of the player but of the UI - I assume. Launching of the .ifo does not work for large VOB's.

[UBUNTU + XBMC]:

- works with the same files / directories perfectly. All movies can be played using the library and the file views (stacked by click on the directory or directly launching in non-stacked mode either the .ifo or the .vob)

On both plattforms, only information regarding encoding, resolution and audio streams are shown for movies with smaller .VOB files, the information is not shown for movies with .VOB > 2GB. However it is present and correct in the .IFO files - I have verified this using the ifoedit tool (which I use to transcode my recorded streams)

Any Idea for a workaround on the Windows plattform (e.g. to modify the library to force the launch of the .vob instead of the .ifo or stack the .vob etc.)

Maybe there can be a BUG-Fix to show always the information of the ifo regarding encoding, dolby ac3 streams etc. - but this would be only nice-to-have, the Play-back of the library items is more important for me - because otherwise Windows is not working for me as a plattform for the HTPC.

Thank you very much for any hint.
try a recent win32 svn build. the libdvd* dlls are updated and supporting large files now.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, I've downloaded r2660-trunk version and it runs the movies bigger than 2GB now.

But there are a lot of new Bugs.

1.) If you stop scanning the Library (right click - popup menu) the XBMC hangs - only ctrl-alt-del and terminate xbmc process helps.

2.) when you play the movie and move the mouse to the top of the window - no buttons appear for pause, play, fwd, rew etc.

I'll try another version - but this is the latest one...

:confused2:
1) no idea thats something for our library guys

2) I noticed the same. Dunno if its a bug or a feature (jmarshall?). I saw a lot of reports where the menu won't vanish when the mouse goes out the window so maybe it was implemented that way. You still can get it with a key (m?)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
2. is working fine in Confluence. It'll only show up in the top 160 pixels, as specified by the skinner.

Other skins may be up for debate - it depends on what controls are available in the fullscreenvideo window.

Mouse hide is being worked on.

Cheers
Jonathan

ah ok so behavior has changed and the next time I'll move the mouse over the whole screen to test it Smile
I just updated my Windows version of XBMC to 9.11 and now I can not play large .IFO files. If I double click on the .VOB file itself it plays fine except the video length is not correct.

I have backed up most of my movies by making one large VOB files instead of splitting them into 1GB. I did this as some players can not handle the .IFO files so in these cases I could just rename the .VOB to .MPG and play them as an mpeg. The issue is you lose you chapters playing them this way.

I pasted my log file here

http://pastebin.com/m18871910

These videos work fine on my ATV, on my Mac Mini running 9.11 and on my XBOX (running an old rev) but not with the 9.11 windows version.

Shawn
If you would have posted the full debug log I would be able to see the version u're using. This way I only can say it looks like your build isn't up to date or suing the wrong libdvd*dlls:
Code:
20:32:28 T:2172 M:588324864 WARNING: WARNING: File is larger than 32bit stat can handle, file size will be reported as 0 bytes
Sorry, here is is

http://pastebin.com/d6dbd7d2e

I just downloaded the the XBMC setup off source forge last night.
Ah, I just remembered,

I replaced the XBMC.exe file with the one from

http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/

where he added more keyboard modifiers. He probably had the wrong libraries when he built this version.

Shawn
... Related r2660-trunk version

I experiance some more issues. The Video Playback ist not longer so smoothe like in the 9.11 Version - it has often some stop-and-go drop-outs. However, the sound is ok.
(this applies to DVD content stored on a Harddisk - no HD-Video)

So I had to revert back from the trunk version. Maybe somebody can check this. Using MPlayer the same Video is smoothe.

Is there a way to tweek the read-ahead cache or something else to improve Video Playback ?

I don't think this is an issue of the PC performance (Dual-Core Pentium D 3.6 GHz with Rocket RAID SATA controller + 4GB RAM + GeForce 8600).
I just reverted to the released 9.11 exe (from the MCE version) and it has the same problem. It will not play .IFO files when the associated VOB file is too large.

http://pastebin.com/d4e70d26

Shawn
yes, that's true. Large VOB's playback from library (using .ifo) works only with the trunk version. However, the playback of the trunk ver. has new issues (not smooth). I will try to check the latest trunk, maybe it works better than the one from 3 days ago.

Also the UI was "improved" - meaning the mouse support is worse now in the trunk than in the release version - no scroll-wheel for fast forward / rewind, no popup for video controls (must hit "M" button to get the menu) etc.
@slammers: you need the latest libdvd*.dlls which aren't part of the 9.11 release. Get the latest build from here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

If you are happier with an older build (though they aren't supported anymore) you can just use the new libdvd*dlls with and older version.
Thanks, I will give that a try tonight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] vs. [LINUX] Play .VOB larger 2GB behavior / BUG?0