[LIVE] Stutter on 720p Playback with Ion
I'm currently running XBMC Live on an Acer Revo 3600 (Single Core Atom, ION GPU) and I'm getting slight stuttering when I playback 720p mkv videos. I was wondering whether there were any tweaks I could use to get smooth playback as many people say that the ION GPU allows flawless 1080p playback? I have VDPAU enabled, but I don't know how to go on from there, any ideas?

Thanks,

Bug
Well do you get more stutter running a 1080p video?
mobious Wrote:Well do you get more stutter running a 1080p video?

No, it's about the same. It's not an incredible amount just enough to notice that the video isn't smooth.
I am really not sure how to help you with this one as its pretty smooth on my setup. running the 3610 dual core revo though so that might be the difference. I say turn on debugging mode in the settings and follow the cpu usage and fps information. If the fps fluctuate alot there could be an issue with the rendering of the video as with vdpau most of the processing is dumped on Ion.
Thanks for your help anyway, I think I've figured out the problem. I have a USB 5.1 sound card and it seems to be causing the stutter when Digital Audio is enabled, so I've set it to Analog and it's given me a bit of an improvement.
More info about your setup, content, network, gpu memory allocation, debug log, etc... needed.

Single core atom and vdpau should be flawless for pretty much all hd content.
Ok, here goes.

2GB RAM - full 512mb allocated to GPU
Connected to Wired 10/100 Router
500GB Internal hard drive containing media (divx, music mkv)
5.1 USB Soundcard Attached - Using optical digital out for audio output
Wireless USB Keyboard

That's everything I can think of, hope this is ok.
Debug log.
Sorry, not sure how to get the debug log. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
In my signature.
Thanks, got it now. Is there anything I should look for in particular as it's too long to post entirely, unless there's a way of attaching it to the post?
Read my signature again, it tells you how to post it. Don't trim logs as it may cut important things out.

Close xbmc, play file, close xbmc, upload log and it will keep it to the minimum needed info.
bug1baby Wrote:2GB RAM - full 512mb allocated to GPU *this is not necessary anymore with 9.11 just leave it at "auto" in BIOS*

5.1 USB Soundcard Attached - Using optical digital out for audio output

I bet it's the soundcard resp. the kernel module... is downmixing enabled or are you doing an audio passthrough?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Downmixing isn't enabled, have it doing a passthrough for the 5.1 sound output. I'm thinking this is the problem as it seemed to be better when I enabled analog sound output over digital
btw when pressing "o" while watching a stuttering 720p file, what's the CPU load?
and: when choosing digital out, what device did you activate for passthrough? does your receiver support DD and DTS? additionally to a pastebin log, your complete audio settings would be helpful
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Stutter on 720p Playback with Ion0